Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo 33.2 - soot in bedroom drawers

I've found black soot like stuff in both bedroom drawers next to the bed. Has anybody else seen this? What was done to correct it?
bbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc5 View Post
I've found black soot like stuff in both bedroom drawers next to the bed. Has anybody else seen this? What was done to correct it?
Yes indeed ,that is a real problem! Take it back to your dealer and/or THOR and they will seal up all holes with foam. There have been a number of posts from other owners on this web. Good Luck.

Bill 33.2
Luvrkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Too late for that for me...out of warranty.

I found large gaps around the air filter tube under the left bedroom drawer, and have tried to seal around it with foam. I haven't checked that side yet, but I have checked the right drawer and it still has soot after trying to seal where I thought I could see light.

Any ideas how the dealer sealed the gaps? What did they used?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

I will be at the factory on the 18th for the same problem plus big slide issues, I will let you know what they did to fix it. Some other members on here have been to the factory for this problem and they re-sealed all around the engine cover and other areas in the back. Don't be sure that Thor won't fix it even though you are out of warranty, they have done several things for people in your position if they thought the problem was there from the beginning, though you might have to take it to the factory to get that kind of good will service.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Too late for that for me...out of warranty.

I found large gaps around the air filter tube under the left bedroom drawer, and have tried to seal around it with foam. I haven't checked that side yet, but I have checked the right drawer and it still has soot after trying to seal where I thought I could see light.

Any ideas how the dealer sealed the gaps? What did they used?
Had that issue on my 2008 Mandalay, and Thor factory service center used expanding foam, like Great Stuff, which you can get at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. in a spray can. Also works great for air leaks under the dash, etc.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
I will be at the factory on the 18th for the same problem plus big slide issues, I will let you know what they did to fix it. Some other members on here have been to the factory for this problem and they re-sealed all around the engine cover and other areas in the back. Don't be sure that Thor won't fix it even though you are out of warranty, they have done several things for people in your position if they thought the problem was there from the beginning, though you might have to take it to the factory to get that kind of good will service.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Please let me know what the factory does for you to seal up up the leaks...
Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Had that issue on my 2008 Mandalay, and Thor factory service center used expanding foam, like Great Stuff, which you can get at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. in a spray can. Also works great for air leaks under the dash, etc.
Same stuff I used around the air filter tube under the right side drawer.

I may have to re-apply...still getting soot.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Bill. Please let me know what the factory does for you to seal up up the leaks...
Ok, done at the factory, all sealed up and tested with 500 miles since we left the service center.

No more dirt in the back and after staying last night in 30 degree weather there is no more cold air coming in behind the bed and drawers.

Great job done by Jim at the factory, it is not the first one he has encountered, but it might have been the worst. He says they are checking all DP coaches that come in for this problem even if the owner hasn't reported it.

Good luck with yours,

Bill
Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
Ok, done at the factory, all sealed up and tested with 500 miles since we left the service center.

No more dirt in the back and after staying last night in 30 degree weather there is no more cold air coming in behind the bed and drawers.

Great job done by Jim at the factory, it is not the first one he has encountered, but it might have been the worst. He says they are checking all DP coaches that come in for this problem even if the owner hasn't reported it.

Good luck with yours,

Bill
Good to hear they fixed it!

Did you find out how and what they used to seal everything?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Good to hear they fixed it!

Did you find out how and what they used to seal everything?
They used expanding foam and sealed everywhere the coach meets the chassis.

We toured the factory and saw a Palazzo being built at the stage where they start building the cabinets and bed box onto the floor already assembled to the chassis, you could see where there were opportunities for problems all around the rear of the assembly.

Bill
Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can get expanding foam products at any of the major home supply stores. But be careful a little goes a long ways.
Practice on something before you use it on your coach.
Good luck
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks....
Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Good to hear they fixed it! Did you find out how and what they used to seal everything?
They used the expanding foam on ours. Underneath the foam was sprayed with rubberized paint material.
You can get at Lowes.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw that stuff at Lowes wondering if it would work...thanks.