Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Palazzo Build Quality

I'm shopping for a Class A with bunks, and the floor plan of the Palazzo 33.3 W2 looks like it will fit our needs. I've primarily been looking at used Winnebago Forza 38R until now, but they are in short supply.

But here's the thing. I rented a Thor ACE a year ago and wasn't at all impressed by the build quality. It seemed like most of the materials were pretty low end. So, I've been hesitant to even consider the Thor line.

How does the quality of the Palazzo line compare with something like the ACE? I realize that we are comparing diesel with gas, but the main issue is overall quality compared with the ACE, and compared with Winnebago. Any thoughts?
MilesAndSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

take a look at one, you will find it comparable to the Forza and others
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

ACE is entry level. Palazzo is next to the top line of Thor coaches.

We've owned ours for almost a year now and have been very impressed with the build quality.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoybrown View Post
ACE is entry level. Palazzo is next to the top line of Thor coaches.

We've owned ours for almost a year now and have been very impressed with the build quality.
Same here. Take a look, you'll be surprised!
Troostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:05 AM   #5

Just key in Palazzo under "search". Plenty of threads on here about the Palazzo's.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You are talking apples and oranges here! The ace is terrible I had one for 3 months and traded it in for the Palazzo.

Better ride and quieter plus better quality!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
MKM

We purchased our 2014 33.2 in October 2013. Our only previous rv was a class c built by Forest River. That being said, I have been extremely disappointed in our purchase and will never purchase another Thor product. I have had constant issues with almost every system of our unit. We use it for usually 4-5 trips a year and ours has 15,000 miles on it. I'm currently battling the separation of a majority of the Hehr windows. I've written to Thor, but they don't seem to care.

I'm sure others have similar stories with other builders, but I'll take my chances with somebody other than Thor on my next purchase.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Hehr windows are used by several brands including Entegra and they are experiencing the same window failures.
Coach "builders" are really integrators. They use off the shelf material to assemble the coaches. The problem is there are not enough suppliers for off the shelf products to choose from specially those focused on quality and then there is always the price point they are trying to meet.
I Don't like the situation any better than anyone else but it seems to be the nature of the beast.
My hot button are the dealers and their absolute miserable effort to resolve the problems as most are very fixable.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

i would also add that I've owned 3 - a Blackwood 5th wheel, a FRGeorgetown class a gas, and my Palazzo
all habe had issues, some different than others - but no, none are perfect.

I've not had any issues with 'build quality' of our coach other than the style of storage bays - covered plywood 'boxes' versus rubber/plastic molded compartments.
Issues that have arisen are all due to other manufacturers products, installed on or within the coach - yes, Thor will back these up during the warranty period.

My best advise has been to allow the Thor service center in Wakarusa to make any real repairs or replacements - any dealers I've used have always, for the most part, failed.
It's a trip to Wakarusa, but it works best.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

I agree about taking it to the factory. I have a trip scheduled now. The word seems be getting around that Thor is your best option to resolve problems as the first available appointment is mid July
Old 04-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #11

[QUOTE=MisterT;3024342]i would also add that I've owned 3 - a Blackwood 5th wheel, a FRGeorgetown class a gas, and my Palazzo
all habe had issues, some different than others - but no, none are perfect.

I've not had any issues with 'build quality' of our coach other than the style of storage bays - covered plywood 'boxes' versus rubber/plastic molded compartments.

For sure the storage bays are a very, very BAD design......leak like a sieve
IMO
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

I looked at the palazzos and liked them, but the straight rail chassis equals limited storage. I was able to spend time in one and then also in a Berkshire right next to it....going back and forth between the two a good bit the differences started becoming more apparent. After looking closer at the cheap inverter and electronics I also noticed the furniture quality....granted the berk was a bit more but only 20k more or so...and fit and finish just in a completely different league than the palazzo....IMHO
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:47 AM   #13

We looked at a Birkshire in a show room that was in such bad shape it would probably have to go back to the factory. Very bad for a new coach. We love our 33.2. We have had some issues, but once Thor fixed them we just put on the miles seeing the country.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I have owned a 2014 33.2 for three years. Next week I am trading it in on a new Forza 36G just because of the build quality issue. Although I have never had a problem with the large slide, I cross my fingers every time I touch that rocker switch that moves it. I just know that it is going to die eventually.

The Forza will be my 7th motorhome, two of which were Winnebago products. IMHO the Forza is much superior to my Palazzo in many, many ways.

If I were you, I'd wait until a used 38 becomes available. Good luck in your decision.
Dadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality