Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #43

aubrey2014, I put weather strip on the top of the double doors towards the back of the doors. when the water comes down the side of the coach the weather strip prevents the water from backing into the storage compartment. I did this right before we winterized and put the rv cover on it a couple of months ago. so far the storage bay has been dry.

mgw44
mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw44 View Post
aubrey2014, I put weather strip on the top of the double doors towards the back of the doors. when the water comes down the side of the coach the weather strip prevents the water from backing into the storage compartment. I did this right before we winterized and put the rv cover on it a couple of months ago. so far the storage bay has been dry.

mgw44

Just got it back from the shop. Supposedly the doors were fixed. After a rain the other day I found more water. Looks like I’m gonna have to do it myself. I’ll give that a try. Thanks MGW44.
Aubrey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
weather strip

Could we get a photo? Thanks
billbaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
they designed a 'wet resistant' cargo bay, but failed to make sure that the doors don't allow water in, because the water then has no where to go. It can only sit in the bay until it either dries up, or you clean it up.
our main bay had mold/mushrooms growing near the door edge, where the plywood built cargo bay 'box' was starting to separate from the frame. if you have a 33.3, you'll see that there is no support under the driver side main double door bay. that is a large plywood floor to have no support in the middle. when the water starts to sit in the bay, and work it's way into the plywood edge, it starts to degrade, bulge, sag, and ultimately fall away from the edge of the frame, creating a scenerio where any weight in the bay could cause it to fall from under the coach while driving.

I think that the only real solution, barring a different door design, is to install a 'auto vent shade cover' as you can purchase for your car window. it keeps rain from coming inside your car while the window is cracked. this would work for these doors, but might not look good.

Yep mine did work it's way into the plywood edge, start to degrade, bulge, sag, and ultimately fall away from the edge of the frame. Just exactly like that. I even had a mouse get through the hole. I contacted Thor about the problem and the warranty department logged a complaint. I told them all I've ever stored in that compartment were 4 outdoor lounge chairs. All told they may have weighed 100lbs. I've had the whole thing replaced and the original plywood is only an 1/8" thick and underneath there is no support like Mr. T described. The guy that replaced it was amazed that Thor though that design was OK. I asked Thor to at least go half way on the repair and after repeated call backs after 4 months they told me they would not do anything for me. I have been a positive voice for Thor but this shoddy compartment build and their recent "customer service" has left a bad taste in my mouth.

The replacement is 1/2 inch thick weather treated plywood with a fiberglass coating and a steel support underneath (even though the repair guy said the new plywood would NEVER give). He also sprayed undercoating on the underside and fully sealed then put a drain whole like the one in the sewer compartment. I have never seen such a meticulous job. If you are in NC and need a guy contact Chris or go to URL Home. He even came to my house to do the repair. Only took him 1.5 days. Best I've ever seen.

Thor needs to do something about these compartments!
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFTravelers View Post
When we first got our coach I noticed some water in the front compartments after washing or spraying good with a hose. I pulled the u bolt in as far a possible which pulls the door tighter to the seal and this seemed to fix the spraying water intrusion. Still don't have this issue.

I agree with the the way the doors are made and how water sits on top of the door once you open the door water enters which seems in most cases to come from the sitting water left behind. This might be something Thor should consider in a design change.

Now here what we just found which could be the cause for a lot of us with water intrusion. Before we broke camp today in the rain in fact it rained for most of the 4 days we camped. I made sure to look in all compartments before leaving to verify they were dry and all was good. After about 200 miles the rain let up so we took a break for the dog, while stopped I went right to the front compartments and sure enough water was in both of them. Dang Dang! What I noticed was not only was there water but also a lot of road dirt as well!! Think to my self this is good right, now I have something to look for its not a seal its a opening some where. So I dryed up the water and most of the dirt and off we went more rain and only about two hours from home.

Once I pulled the coach into the garage I emptied the cargo bays and got out the flashlight and air compressor and started at the front wheel wells. Sure enough on the outside wall between the wheel well and the cargo bay walls there are holes where either no seal or silicone has been applied. This was pretty easy to find using a flashlight in the dark could see light from wheel well in the cargo bay also sprayed air from my compressor all the way around the edges and now have found every point where water can enter. Gonna give it a few days to dry out good then start sealing it up.

So I would be looking at the entire compartment not just the doors seals especially if dirt is present in the bay it maybe coming from the wheel well or the road itself not the door seal. Look next to the frame in the bottom corners and see if you have an opening. Take an air compressor and blow air from the wheel well side around the edges and see if you can feel it in the compartment it will tell you ever place water can enter.

Hope this helps some of you.

Safe Travels to All.
Hmmm. Bought a new 2015 Palazzo and have not used it yet . (3 years!!) Every time it has been driven is to a repair depot for major problems. The hopefully last prob is bins filling with water. On our maiden trip home all bins filled with muddy road water. Three years later this is still not fixed and it has been back to factory!!!!
Palazzoralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFTravelers View Post
When we first got our coach I noticed some water in the front compartments after washing or spraying good with a hose. I pulled the u bolt in as far a possible which pulls the door tighter to the seal and this seemed to fix the spraying water intrusion. Still don't have this issue.

I agree with the the way the doors are made and how water sits on top of the door once you open the door water enters which seems in most cases to come from the sitting water left behind. This might be something Thor should consider in a design change.

Now here what we just found which could be the cause for a lot of us with water intrusion. Before we broke camp today in the rain in fact it rained for most of the 4 days we camped. I made sure to look in all compartments before leaving to verify they were dry and all was good. After about 200 miles the rain let up so we took a break for the dog, while stopped I went right to the front compartments and sure enough water was in both of them. Dang Dang! What I noticed was not only was there water but also a lot of road dirt as well!! Think to my self this is good right, now I have something to look for its not a seal its a opening some where. So I dryed up the water and most of the dirt and off we went more rain and only about two hours from home.

Once I pulled the coach into the garage I emptied the cargo bays and got out the flashlight and air compressor and started at the front wheel wells. Sure enough on the outside wall between the wheel well and the cargo bay walls there are holes where either no seal or silicone has been applied. This was pretty easy to find using a flashlight in the dark could see light from wheel well in the cargo bay also sprayed air from my compressor all the way around the edges and now have found every point where water can enter. Gonna give it a few days to dry out good then start sealing it up.

So I would be looking at the entire compartment not just the doors seals especially if dirt is present in the bay it maybe coming from the wheel well or the road itself not the door seal. Look next to the frame in the bottom corners and see if you have an opening. Take an air compressor and blow air from the wheel well side around the edges and see if you can feel it in the compartment it will tell you ever place water can enter.

Hope this helps some of you.

Safe Travels to All.
Hmmm. Bought a new 2015 Palazzo and have not used it yet . (3 years!!) Every time it has been driven is to a repair depot for major problems. The hopefully last prob is bins filling with water. On our maiden trip home all bins filled with muddy road water. Three years later this is still not fixed and it has been back to factory!!!! Water entered thru the chassis frame, dripped into bins, thru the door seals and into bins, thru the wheel wells and into bins, thru the battery bank vent and into bins and on and on. Some of these have been sealed but it is still in a repair depot. Thing is, we can see the water in the bins but where is it going that we can’ T see. Any plywood getting soaked, electronics getting wet etc!!!!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #49

3 year Palazzo leak

Hmmm. Bought a new 2015 Palazzo and have not used it yet . (3 years!!) Every time it has been driven is to a repair depot for major problems. The hopefully last prob is bins filling with water. On our maiden trip home all bins filled with muddy road water. Three years later this is still not fixed and it has been back to factory!!!! Water entered thru, chassis frame, battery bank vent, wheel wells and door seals!!! Unit is still at a repair depot. Thing is, we can see the water in the bins but what damage is being done where we can’t see. (Rot, rust etc).
Three years of dealing with problems! Things like unit going completely dead, slide failures, parts falling off, paint peeling and on and on!! Man so frustrated 😡
Old 06-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check the molding around the double doors

While at SE Thor diesel Club Rally, I was able to have JR from NIRV take a look at the double doors. He found the molding higher in the center of the doors than at the corners. It was over 1/8" Anson from Thor came by and told me JR was right. Seems when the moldings get put on during assembly they can be over torqued causing the top center molding on the double bays to bow. The seals don't seat properly and water comes in. The fix is to loosen the molding and shim it so the top molding is the same height all the way across. I have 5 quarters as shims on the right double bay doors. Less water.
billbaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #51

Thanks for the info. Coach is at Travelhome RV in Abbotsford BC. now. Thor sent a guy there after Travelhome tech said doors were too flimsy. He agreed and they have installed heavier doors in both large bins. Waiting for rain to see 100% if water problem is gone and then to paint shop.

Tags
door, leak