RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Palazzo front end too low

Has anyone with a palazzo figured out a solution to the low front end? I find it a pain to drive around and around until I find a suitable drive entry that won't drag the nose. any air bag mods to lift front? I like the under 12ft height but I think the front end could have been designed better for more clearance.

iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you measured to make sure your ride height is indeed correct? I had one side leveling rod off, made a huge difference also with tire alignment.

You could rig something for a temporary raise on the leveling arms. Itís mechanical so I think you would need like a dual position actuator. You would not want to run in inflated mode, but good for entrance ramps.

Really I have not had as much problem dragging as I feared once the height was fixed, but a mod to give a temporary lift seems plausible.

Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
Have you measured to make sure your ride height is indeed correct? I had one side leveling rod off, made a huge difference also with tire alignment.

You could rig something for a temporary raise on the leveling arms. Itís mechanical so I think you would need like a dual position actuator. You would not want to run in inflated mode, but good for entrance ramps.

Really I have not had as much problem dragging as I feared once the height was fixed, but a mod to give a temporary lift seems plausible.
Thanks. I will check. Mine rides great. No pull. Looks completely level although I haven't measured side to side. The design is such that the front cap is really low to the ground. When I look at other brands, they have much more clearance on the approach angle. They are also 12.5 to 13.5 feet high!!!! Which height I do not want.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the Palazzo nose is lower than many. Angled approaches have eliminated most rubs. It has not been bad.

I looked at the leveling arms. You could adjust the height up, but would have to realign the front and have unknown driving characteristics. A temporary override still seems the way to go here. Something that would temporarily shorten the arms would raise the coach. Not sure how much lift the bags have left in them though. Fairly easy to disconnect arm and give it a manual try though. Will pull out the Freightliner manual and see if the valve gives any mod options.

Would be interested as well to know if anyone had attempted any crazy solution here as well.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Has anyone with a palazzo figured out a solution to the low front end? I find it a pain to drive around and around until I find a suitable drive entry that won't drag the nose. any air bag mods to lift front? I like the under 12ft height but I think the front end could have been designed better for more clearance.
I read a thread on irv2 about a company in southern California that would install a button on the dash that would temporarily inflate the front airbags to the maximum giving you a couple inches of extra height.
parks0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

in 2016 i modified my 2016 palazzo 33.2 to "rise" an additional 3.5/4 inches using a set of 4 Firgelli Linear Actuators to lift up the factory air bag "forks" to max.
i have a toggle switch mounted next to the "factory" air switch. i simply start up, flip switch, drive forward or backwards. As soon as i am clear to go, flip switch to down and go. If i forget, the air bags will bleed down to normal height in a mile or so. Saved my Palazzo front end more than once. Cost about $1000 when i installed them but now parts are less than 450$ US. Unit in storage now can send pix and info later in spring 2019. Have had freightliner service inspect my setup and they have had no problems. Have installed for 25000+ miles with no problems. Also installed roadmaster rss bar and supersteer mcu's.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #7

Thanks!

" Also installed roadmaster rss bar and supersteer mcu's."

Please post photos of the lifts with details and would also greatly appreciate photos and opinions on the above. Thanks so much!
mountainpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dse1919 View Post
in 2016 i modified my 2016 palazzo 33.2 to "rise" an additional 3.5/4 inches using a set of 4 Firgelli Linear Actuators to lift up the factory air bag "forks" to max.
i have a toggle switch mounted next to the "factory" air switch. i simply start up, flip switch, drive forward or backwards. As soon as i am clear to go, flip switch to down and go. If i forget, the air bags will bleed down to normal height in a mile or so. Saved my Palazzo front end more than once. Cost about $1000 when i installed them but now parts are less than 450$ US. Unit in storage now can send pix and info later in spring 2019. Have had freightliner service inspect my setup and they have had no problems. Have installed for 25000+ miles with no problems. Also installed roadmaster rss bar and supersteer mcu's.
Very interested in more details on this. Does a dealer need to install? is it a DIY project? Would love pics!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

We installed heavy duty Trailer roller wheels to the front frame
NeeNee33.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Very interested in more details on this. Does a dealer need to install? is it a DIY project? Would love pics!
Please give part numbers of actuators and pictures.

Thanks

Bob
ky bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeNee33.4 View Post
We installed heavy duty Trailer roller wheels to the front frame
Pics? Parts?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #12

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1549830810

Hope you can open
Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #13

I sent you a link for the trailer wheels in previous post. We had to add three extra mounting plates to get the right height. You can purchase wheels per the length of your Rig. We mounted to the front frame.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Don't know if it's just me, but I couldn't open the link

HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote