Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #15

Hey gang- just came across this thread and, like others, found my drawers were sagging as well as the left back corner of the stove- about a quarter inch. The drawer solution appears pretty straight forward by installing supports underneath the framing holding the drawer slides in the rear, but the sag in the left rear corner of the stove is another matter. There is no place to install a support as, in at least the 33.2, the black bag is located directly underneath and needs room to move when the slide is deployed or retracted. Any ideas on solutions for the stove? I also wonder if the storage slot for the sink and stove counter tops isn't contributing to the problem. These pieces are heavy and dropping these down the slot is putting quite a bit of stress on the framing supporting the stove and drawers.

Very much appreciate any advice and help.
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieBaxter View Post
Hey gang- just came across this thread and, like others, found my drawers were sagging as well as the left back corner of the stove- about a quarter inch. The drawer solution appears pretty straight forward by installing supports underneath the framing holding the drawer slides in the rear, but the sag in the left rear corner of the stove is another matter. There is no place to install a support as, in at least the 33.2, the black bag is located directly underneath and needs room to move when the slide is deployed or retracted. Any ideas on solutions for the stove? I also wonder if the storage slot for the sink and stove counter tops isn't contributing to the problem. These pieces are heavy and dropping these down the slot is putting quite a bit of stress on the framing supporting the stove and drawers.

Very much appreciate any advice and help.

The plywood on mine was cracked as well. Once I fixed the support for drawers in middle it provided some support back to thin section. There is a small edge, right on support beam behind the bag that you can fit a small support on. It is thin but I made a tapered support and then did several slide movement to verify no issue with bag. I also double up the plywood and glued back, new support clamped it all in place. The finished result is amazingly strong. You will likely also find your cooktop is sagging. You can fit a support on the floor beam behind the bag.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #17

Thanks Corc- I’ll give those suggestions a try.
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #18

Had the same issue, back frame loose and sagging and saw where factory or dealer had realigned the rear attachments of slides which did not address the root problem. Removed all drawers, adjusted all of the hoses, wires and bag to minimize any possible interference, reattached and braced the rear frame, checked clearances multiple times by opperating the slide in and out and was very pleased with myself until I fully closed the slide and heard all my careful wood work tear appart due to hitting the main water supply lines coming up through the floor which were too long/tall from the factory and hit the rear frame bottom as the slide is fully retracted.
Took everything apart again, carefully bent the water lines down to follow the curve of and zipp tied to the hard plumbing line and rebuilt the back frame support again... now everything works right, although the factory slide/door closures still suckered for keeping drawers closed when driving so I added magnetic latches (better but not perfect...)
HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine never had a rear brace, that I found evidence of. It actually looked as if they were trying to support by double plywood under the counter. Problem was the thin section by the counter cover cut outs still could not support the weight and cracked. I was at Florida RV Show in January and noted the 2019 33.2 model there had a rear brace on drawers, although very thin.

Did not have the problem with water lines. Found once I got the factory slides level and aligned the factory catches held quite well, even with heavy pots, but understand the comfort of adding magnetic catch.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #20

I had the same issue on our 2015 33.2. The rear of the cabinet was extremely flimsy. I added a lot of 3/4” plywood plus attached the sides to other members, then built frames around the drawers to attach new slides. Our trip out west next month will determine if my repairs are sufficient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4073.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	241569
Before...

Name:	IMG_4077.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	241570

Name:	IMG_4078.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	241571

Name:	IMG_4074.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	241572
After...slides and new frame
SS573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #21

After installing all the new slides, frames, and drawers they worked better than ever. I wanted a little extra to hold the drawers **** while driving so I made wooden knobs. These are some I made from cheap pine but they’ll work well enough for the upcoming trip. (I’ll make nicer ones when we return [emoji16])

Name:	IMG_4139.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	244039
SS573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #22

add me to the club. At just about 20000 miles, rear of kitchen cabinet sagged, appears cracked off attachment to underside of counter. This is poorly engineered. Right where there needs to be a support is where the plumbing bag is that has to slide under. The rear counter just hangs there and they expect that to last! forward edge of stove is sagging about an inch (toward front of coach). I need to figure out from you guys exactly how to support his and stabilize it. I think it needs a support UNDER the drawer frames in the rear. But how??
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #23

This is a pic. If you look at the top of the pic you see at the rear of the counter top that the plywood in the rear is up at counter level (small strips) but further away from the wall toward you the support bracing has dropped down about an inch. Also, note the cheap trim piece with half a screw in it and one half way out pushed downward at the back on the sidewall of coach. Shoddy workmanship.
Questions:
Are there any kind of studs in the outside wall to anchor to? What are they made of? (far back behind the drawers in this pic)?
How thick is the wall so I don't screw through to the outside fiberglass?
On the rearward wall which is not seen here but would be to the left in this pic, the wall that adjoins the bunk beds, how thick is that wall? Are there any studs in that rearward wall to anchor a brace to??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190721_195058.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	254350  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #24

I wish I had my wife take picture of me up to my waist in the cabinet when I was repairing/modifying the frame, it probably looked like our RV had eaten me!
If Thor had used cabinet grade materials instead of soft pine for the framing, it MIGHT HAVE held up, but the way they designed it you could sneeze and it would fail.
I ultimately changed from the additional magnetic latches to the good old fashioned 10lb pull large plastic drawer catches, so now the drawers always stay closed, even with a sudden rough and bumpy turn or evasive maneuver!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #25

Ok, well, that is done! What a chore. Not easy to get inside there and work. 103 degrees outside and I only had a 15amp service inside garage and could only run one AC. 92 deg inside RV, nearly 4 hours of work. Most of my time was spent trying to get into position through those openings to even use my tools!

I reinforced the rear of the cabinet drawer frame with a 2x4 and then put a support on the left wall to hold the 2x4 and a center support and a right hand support. Feels solid. Slide goes in and out and all plumbing and wiring is moving freely. I will have to drive down a bumpy road to test this out. Harvey, what type of drawer latches did you use? I want some good ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190723_183249.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	254439   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_183302.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	254440  

Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebs View Post
Our 2016 had the same problem. Had to jack up the rear of the cabinet and added supports to the floor for strength. Replaced the super cheap drawer slides with self closing quality slides and aligned properly. If you don't do this your propane burners cooktop will start sagging as well.

Hey,

What self closing quality slides did you get and where?
Old 08-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #27

iluvuk, these are the latches I ultimately used -

4 Grabber Catches 10 LB RV Cabinet Push Close Latch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L6JYVB..._8DRvDbGTA7N25
Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #28

Duane,

LIBERTY 942405 Soft-Close Ball Bearing Drawer Slide, 24-Inch, 2-Pack.
Available through Amazon Lowes.

Don't forget the rear bracket you have to purchase separately.

Rockler Universal Drawer Slide Jig makes the alignment much easier