Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo kitchen drawers not latching - Close uneven

2018 Palazzo 33.2. Noticed the kitchen drawers do not seem to latch shut. On inspection I found the top and bottom of drawer are not shutting even. The latch is located in the slide near the front and never engages since the drawer does not close far enough in bottom.

Look like the back of drawer slides wood support structure is sagging, there is no support to floor. I think this may be due to the big slide and the need for all the hoses & wires needing clear path to coil and slide.

Has anyone else noticed this?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2361.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	226795
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Same issue with our 2018 Palazzo 33.2. Repaired under warranty by NIRVC Atlanta. Repair worked fine over the last 8k miles. Not sure of what failed.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #3

Our 2016 had the same problem. Had to jack up the rear of the cabinet and added supports to the floor for strength. Replaced the super cheap drawer slides with self closing quality slides and aligned properly. If you don't do this your propane burners cooktop will start sagging as well.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

It's Thor trying to save a buck on construction costs. Thor's not known for quality. Sorry.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, did not figure I was alone. Thanks for the watch out on propane cooktop. I will catch it.

Was the repair a support directly under the rear support or angled off the sides. I am concerned about trapping the sliding hoses and wires by the support.

Thank you.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #6

Very interesting. I don't have this problem on my 33.3 full wall slide. Thank goodness! Let us know what the fix is!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Drawer slides not level, raise the back
OCLNR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLNR8R View Post
Drawer slides not level, raise the back
I thought of that also when I read his post but the description is that the rear of the cabinet is somehow collapsing down and everything is going down in the back. If that is the case, a structural fix needs to be done. If the drawer slides are just mounted wrong, that is an easy fix, move them up like you say. I'm curious to see what is really wrong.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem is the rear structure that supports the back of the slides. It has no visible support on the bottom. Looks cantilever but it is sagging. Not sure if they missed the bottom support or were trying something structurally design clever that did not work.

The hoses and wires for the slide are coiled underneath this structure and move under the drawers as slide goes in and out.

I will have to do some slide in and outs while watching these hoses/wires to see where a support can be placed.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #10

Same issue for my 2018 33.3. Warranty repaired, but not very well. Please keep us in the loop with photos as I will have to do a proper repair. Thanks.
mountainpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpath View Post
Same issue for my 2018 33.3. Warranty repaired, but not very well. Please keep us in the loop with photos as I will have to do a proper repair. Thanks.
What did they do to your 33.3 to repair it?
Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #12

Hi Ed. They just moved the rails. They also fixed a broken 1x in the back that was installed with a staple that cracked the wood in half. Their repair is already failing.
mountainpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpath View Post
Hi Ed. They just moved the rails. They also fixed a broken 1x in the back that was installed with a staple that cracked the wood in half. Their repair is already failing.
Wow, that is not good. Is your cabinet "sinking" like was described by the 33.2 owner or is it just the rails aren't solidly attached in the right places? I don't have any sign of sinking of the cabinet in the back, which would be my biggest concern. My rails are fine....so far. I did note that my drawers weren't staying closed well and I adjusted the latches with success. Not the best latches.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Found another problem while repairing this. The plywood under the counter had broke trying to support the weight of the drawers. Broke right at stove cover storage opening in back. Had to glue and support a brace after repairing drawer structure. Plywood was attached to drawer brace so when rear bottom brace failed it was hanging from counter, split at smallest width. I think once this broke is when the rear really sagged and drawer latches failed.

Also noted ‘The bag’ used to help guide and insulate the sliding wires and hoses wasn’t attached to one side and had bunched up leaving a nice sized opening to outside.

My fix for drawer support was two 2x2 braces from bottom. One against Left side one just off center to right to prevent hose binding. Rear lifted about 1” with new support. All glued and screwed, no staples. Verified no interference with sliding hoses and wires.

Took some pictures, and videos showing how the Thor magic bag works and the new braces. Will post shortly.

Drawers shut level and tight. The latches hold very well once you get everything square.

Thanks for all the feedback. We