Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Palazzo Reviews

My husband and I are contemplating purchasing a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1. We are seeking reviews from other Palazzo 36.1 owners, any information on this motor home would be helpful. Thank you!
bevo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't have a 36.1, but we love our 2014 Palazzo 33.2!
RVTexasYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #3

Ditto
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We love our 33.2 Palazzo. It has provided us with reliable relaxation and always gets compliments on its good looks. As first time RVers, we had a short learning curve to get to that level of satisfaction, but that is where we are now. Our slides work perfect, the view out that massive windshield is inspiring, our handling is excellent and the fuel economy is consistently good. I am certain there is no other motorhome that provides all the features found in our Palazzo at anywhere near the price.
Deucerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #5

We have a 2014 36.1. The layout is great, especially the rear bath. The new ones have a bigger engine but the 300 seems to be fine so far. There is a huge amount of storage underneath. We are happy with the coach. That does not mean that there have not been problems. Drawers opening while underway, Upper cabinet door hinges coming loose, house water pump failure.

As I said before, we are happy with the coach.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Thank you all for your quick responses! We are concerned about all the slide issues, and the size of the diesel. We plan on taking a trip up to Canada and Alaska, and did not know if the diesel was large enough to get us through the mountains. TK IV, have you been in the mountains with yours, any problems? We love the layout of the 36.1 too, because of the rear bath!

Gina & Randy
Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

This summer we took our 2014 - 36.1 with 5 grandchildren from Orlando to New York then across to Niagra falls and back thru the virginia mountains. Had a ball! Loved every minutes. I had a Hurricane before and the Palazzo with the diesel was great, plenty of power and the air assist in the mountains was terrific. I did not tow but I don't think that would have been a problem.
Workingrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

we were in the rockies with our 33.3 this summer... we were at 13k+ feet elevation and had no issues going up and down those elevation. We were heavy with a 4 door Jeep tow and the exhaust brakes were great. Though we were only moving between 30-45 miles at those elevation. So... the freightliner aspect of the MH should be pretty good. The build of the MH could be better... but in due time, you have to iron them out. Pretty happy with our MH.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #9

The motor should be just fine for you. We traveled all over the US with the 300 motor it done great.

I owned the 33.2 for awhile with some issues but know nothing about the 36.1

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

Just make sure you spend a LONG time inspecting the entire coach before leaving the dealer. There are a lot of quality issues and you will want to make sure that they get addressed before pulling away if possible.

I have a 2014 36.1 and love it. It has had a few issues and I'm starting to see uneven wear on the big slide but so far so good. I'm headed to Poudre Canyon (west of Ft Collins) Sept 6th and hope to go up a gravel mountain road for camping at 8500 feet. I tow a Jeep 4 door and will unhook it before going up the gravel road I need to take.

If I can make it up this road, then I will literly be a Happy Camper. I'll try to report back in a couple of weeks but from what I've seen so far with the coach and 300 HP engine, I should be OK.

We love the layout too..the bath in back seems to give it more room.
alindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #11

We have a 2014 36.1, it is a later in the year model that came from the factory with the 3x track on the slide.

Our issues are no more than I've had with new cars- foreign or domestic and our dealer (Byerley) has been fantastic.

We briefly had a 32' class C and love the DP. We have taken trips to KY, Nashville and of more interest to you Seattle. We had no issues in the Rockies and routinely passed trucks on the inclines. I must add that we were not towing.

While the 2015 does have a larger engine, I understand the additional torque is not that significant.

On the trip to FL my wife and daughter-in-law (yes the guys had to work) ran into a friend stranded in the RV park while waiting for replacement parts for his stuck-in-out-position slide on his late model Phaeton. Moral of the story they all have issues from time to time.

Bradrg
St Louis
2014 36.1
bradrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

Palazzo Reviews

Thank you all for such detailed responses. We have discovered from reading all the RV posts, and extensive looking, watching all the YouTube video's, that all new Motor Homes, will have issues. It doesn't matter what make it is, because even some of the more expensive ones have issues. It's just like a new home, you have to work out the kinks. We have not found another Motor Home that can deliver all the amenities you get in a Palazzo for the price. We feel better about the slides since they have added the 3rd support, and the model we are looking at does not have a lot of weight on the large slide, because the kitchen is on the other side. I think we may be about ready to pull the trigger. We hope to meet you all on the road someday! Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gina & Randy,
You don't mention anything about prior experience with RVs and I think that is a key point. For those with no prior experience, there are a lot of systems on the Palazzo to learn and many people, especially those without prior experience, have problems because they do not understand how everything works.

I have a 33.1 which has the same basic systems and chassis as the 36.1 and have over 14K miles on it now with a recent 6000+ mile trip over many very high mountain passes. It has enough power to go at a reasonable speed until getting stuck behind a slow truck. Then there is not enough additional power to pass. On the downhill side, use of the exhaust brake is critical.

I cannot emphasize too much what others have said about a throrough PDI. I took most of two days with a technician to make sure everything worked or was fixed. Also I stayed in it overnight before signing the papers to make sure I knew how to operate things as well as verifying they worked.

Another thing some miss is reading the manuals. The bag is huge but you don't have to wait until you get the paper manuals from the dealer. You can get both the Palazzo and the Freightliner manual online to study in advance. Unfortunately the Palazzo manual has several things that only apply to the Tuscany but is a good start. The Freightliner manual is much better.

Also consider going to Camp Freightliner as well as joining the Thor Diesel Club. The information and support at the rallys is invaluable.

Last but not least is this forum. While the emphasis may be on bad things that have happened to people, there is a wealth of information that will help you look for potential issues and resolve many questions and problems.

Best wishes.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #14

Good job Jerry...
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote