RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Palazzo ride quality

Hello all, I’m about to pull the trigger on a 33.3 palazzo. I wanted to get actual owner feedback on the quality of the ride. I have driven a class A gas RVs and the ride was terrible. Please give your honest opinions. Also do you feel the 300hp is adequate? I plan to pull an all aluminum 7’x14’ enclosed trailer with a total weight of about 3,000lbs

Thanks in advance!
Steve

PPGFLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #2

does 81,000 + miles tell you anything : )

300hp and 660 ftlb of torque are plenty for a 25,000-26,000lb coach
and towing capacity is better determined by the GVCWR minus your coach’s TRUE weight with you and your family, stuff, and fuel and water...

use the Mode button on the Allison trans panel for best mileage, mine has averaged 12.4mpg, and 11.4 while towing our Fiesta or Focus, roughly 2,800lbs

set your tire pressures according to your TRUE loaded weight, per the tire owners brochure spesc, ours runs about 95 fronts, 90 rears

I’ve delivered many new coaches from several factories, the Palazzo wins on the lower XCS chassis! The Fleetwood PaceArrow is a close second. Other similar coaches on the ‘compact diesel’ platform are the FR Legacy and WinnForza/ItascaSolei and Tiffin AllegroBreeze...

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

and towing capacity is better determined by the GVCWR minus your coach’s TRUE weight with you and your family, stuff, and fuel and water...

use the Mode button on the Allison trans panel for best mileage, mine has averaged 12.4mpg, and 11.4 while towing our Fiesta or Focus, roughly 2,800lbs

set your tire pressures according to your TRUE loaded weight, per the tire owners brochure spesc, ours runs about 95 fronts, 90 rears

I’ve delivered many new coaches from several factories, the Palazzo wins on the lower XCS chassis! The Fleetwood PaceArrow is a close second. Other similar coaches on the ‘compact diesel’ platform are the FR Legacy and WinnForza/ItascaSolei and Tiffin AllegroBreeze...

Thank you for the feedback!
PPGFLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We previously owned a 2015 Jayco Precept class A gas coach. We currently own a 2017 Palazzo with the same power train you mentioned in the post. The ride is much improved over the gas coach and is a pleasure to drive. We added a safety steer system and have over 15,000 miles that include two coast to coast trips. Completely different experience than the gas coach. Quiet and very few “white knuckle” occurrences when driving. The power is adequate and we flat tow a 4,000lb Jeep. We live in the Northwest so we travel mountain passes on almost every trip. The coach handles them nicely. Travel safe
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

We have a 2016 33.3..... 20000 miles !!! We tow a Kia soul, If not for the Camera and Tpms I would not know it is back there.
The ride is nice, When we first got it we had a slight pull to the right... it was a simple ride height adjustment. Also our tires were WAY over inflated. Those 2 adjustments made a world of difference !
Our normal beat is from Texas to Wyoming so we travel thru all kinds of conditions. The cummins-Allison-Freightliner combo is greatness as is the Engine brake. As for the 300, I have not driven anything bigger hp wise so I can not compare. I am happy with it !!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

I think the ride of the Palazzo 33.3 is very good. The power is adequate and the transmission is smooth as silk. I had some hard bumps on the first trip then I got it weighed and adjusted the front tire pressure down from 110 to 88 per the actual coach weight loaded and it really helped smooth the ride. I do get some white knuckle experiences in crosswinds (30-40mph winds) but I bet all RVs will in those circumstances.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #7

Purchased new 2018 Palazzo 36.3 rough ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

Im happy to have come across your post MisterT you seem very knowledgeable....

Couple questions for you if you dont mind.
I purchased a new 36.3 took it out on a roadtrip 3 days later and boy was it an uncomfortable ride on the interstate 70. the entire coach shook over every bump on the road. It felt like i was riding in a lowered car with a solid suspension.:facepalm : have you ever encountered anything like this on your deliveries. I brought it into a freightliner service center out here in Los Angeles they claim that there is nothing wrong with it and stated to me that it is most likely because it has small tires lol ... Any input would be awesome

Thank you
TheBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #8

Are you sure you had the suspension inflated? It must be set to “auto”. My 33.3 rides very nice.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

See my prior post:
"I think the ride of the Palazzo 33.3 is very good. The power is adequate and the transmission is smooth as silk. I had some hard bumps on the first trip then I got it weighed and adjusted the front tire pressure down from 110 to 88 per the actual coach weight loaded and it really helped smooth the ride. I do get some white knuckle experiences in crosswinds (30-40mph winds) but I bet all RVs will in those circumstances. "

Did you weigh the coach and adjust tire pressure per the tire inflation tables? It makes a huge difference!

Also, have you ever driven an RV before? What types? They are not luxury sedans when it comes to ride and handling. I'm not trying to make fun or criticize, I am just asking because when I first drove my first class C, I thought it was going to rattle and fall apart (stove, dishes, cupboards, fridge bouncing with every crack in the road) until I realized that is just what happens when you bounce an entire house down the road. My Palazzo is much smoother and quieter than my prior RVs. Let us know what you find.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo rough ride?

We have a 2017 Palazzo and have been coast to coast several times on different routes. Mostly county and state roads, they have the best scenery. The coach handles well and has a comfortable ride.
The previously mentioned alignment, ride height check/adjustment and tire pressure adjustment as a result of weighing all four corners of the coach will produce an improvement.
We just had the front end alignment and ride height check performed. Money well spent.
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #11

Finally got it figured out

Thank you all for the inputs, lots of information. I was finally able to take my coach into an actual rv shop other than the authorized freightliner service center which stated that my tires were too small and that is why It has a rough ride. The new shop checked the ride height and one side was off by two inches causing a rough ride. Its better than before but still not what I expected. I may look into getting better shocks from what I have read on the forum Koni shocks help with ride comfort.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

We installed Koni shocks ourselves on the front only and what a big difference. Highly recommend this upgrade. Front end used to dip when brakes applied but not anymore.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #13

Palazzo ride quality

What size tires did the RV shop recommend for your Palazzo?
Thanks
Steverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverado View Post
What size tires did the RV shop recommend for your Palazzo?
Thanks

They compared it to a fleetwood pace arrow they had in the shop which had 275/80/22.5 . They didnt recomend a size they just said my coach has small tires.

Tags
quality