Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo Roof AC Water Runoff

I'm am assuming we all have the same problem with our Roof AC water runoff?

On my 2016 Palazzo the water run off from the front and rear AC units is sporadic to say the least. It is really irritating that the water runoff in most cases is over one of the coach Windows! If I'm lucky it will runoff onto the slide and drip from there but this is leveling luck it seems. I know I could always slightly adjust my level system to force it that way but don't feel this is the answer for us all.

Are all our coaches the same?

Has anyone come up with a solution on how to at least control where it runs off. The exisitng gutter system the coach provides does nothing to help control the runoff forcing it to the front or end of the coach.

Has anyone tried any of the following:
EternaBond Tape to Try and send the flow to front or end?
Gutter system that works?
Dicor line to send the water down a trail.
Dometic A/C Drain Kit says for Airstream could use some Dicor to hold down a tube system?

Open to other ideas to correct what I feel is a poor design. I would have been happy to pay a few extra dollars to have the AC water runoff sent down a tube below the coach or at least better controlled.

Or is my coach missing something other have?

Look forward to all replies.

Safe Travels to All.
RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Condensate run off from rooftop AirCon is a universal thing. The wetter the climate, the worse the run-off.

Some premium makes will install an enclosed drain. The downside to a drain is that it can clog.

All of your ideas to mitigate this are good. We are considering removing the gutter end over the front side windows and continuing the gutters around the windows, to bring roof run-off (rain too) down where the front cap and side wall meet to keep the windows dry...like with:
EZE-RV Gutter System10' Package - Ultra-White - Essential Products U/W01004 - RV Gutter - Camping World

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #3

This is a annoyance for sure, but just figured it is what it is..... May be over
my entry door at times, or over windows, just know telling. I think you have
some good ideas, will follow Thread to see what others say and or do.

Good Luck !!

Dennis
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #4

yes, we've all had this 'issue', though it effects all RVs with rooftop a/c units.

I normally don't care as much about it unless it falls over the driver and passenger windows, since you then may not be able to keep them open or cracked due to the water dripping into the window track - one of the drawbacks to these type of sliding windows - though I really LIKE being able to fully open my front windows, unlike the frameless windows everywhere else.

My easy solution to the front window drip was to apply a seal, or barrier, to the roofline right above the front windows. I found in the hardware store a rubber 'bulb' seal, which comes in small roles. The larger the better. You could use as little as 3' worth, or you could even run the full length of the coach, though at some point the water can still overcome this and fall where it will, depending on the level of the coach.

It's a catch 22 - we want a/c water to run out in a convenient place, but we also don't want the roof to 'hold' water, either, an even worse problem.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Me too!

This roof drain issue really bugs me and I have been contemplating possible solutions since we've had our 2015 33.3. My current thinking is to Dicor seal a catch pan under each AC drain (there are 4 of them, 1 on each side of each unit) then run a pvc drain pipe from these boxes to the side or rear (or both). Yes, you will have to maintain this setup to prevent clogging but we store our coach indoors. Leaves, algae, etc. will still be an issue when on the road but the worst that can happen is the condensate begins running off the roof again. It is an annoying problem with no easy solution I've been able to find......yet!
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

one problem is the run-off causes streaking down side of MH. Some MH's
have the pump system, but do have to watch for pump failure of maybe
clogging,,,,,but wayyyy better than dropping off end of awning or etc.

Still following this Tread,,,I hope for a good fix to this..

May the force be with us...

Dennis
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok not really sure best way to address but I have ordered a couple items to start some testing. Figured this is my roof and not seen so have a couple ideas to force the water to a small lip gutter. Will be making sure nothing done will hurt looks or damage roof. Going to test with some ez gutter and Dicor to channel the water to a runoff area. I have ordered all three items to do some playing.

Will update everyone once completed my test.

It will be a bit before done since we have 2 trip before going to Goshen IN for the TDC rally in the beginning of OCT.

Not going to give up on this, to try and at least find a way to make this somewhat better.

Might also try the drip pan for the Airstream AC unit as well if it will fit under our units.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Update to my 8-24 post on runoff!

I installed ez gutter over the 2 front and rear windows and will say this is not a 100 percent fix does catch some of the water but do to the roof trim piece some of the water still hits the windows!

I then added a small bead of Dicor caulking on the roof above the windows and left the gap towards the front or back of the coach. This seems to be the best fix at this time and I don't see any pooling and the water does run to either the front or back of the coach.

I going to next try and order the Airstream AC drain system and see if I can come up with a new plan of attack.

Good to know Thor is now addressing this as well on the new coaches.

Safe Travels to All.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #9

could anyone please post photos of your rain gutter projects?

would love to see the end results.

Thanks
bakjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agreed! I'd like to see.....
Old 05-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #11

One Solution

I finally constructed & installed a roof drain system. In short I fabricated two rectangles of PVC pipe that surround each A/C unit. These rectangles are tapped & sealed to the coach roof membrane. Holes in the pipes let the water in. More pipe connects the front basin to the rear basin. Two drain pipes from the rear basin direct the run-off over the side at the rear. A slightly rearward bias on the coach leveling directs all the run-off to the rear.
A more detailed description & photos are attached (I hope)
RV Roof Drain.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	160768

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	160769

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	160770
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow!! Cool idea. Another item to add to my todo list.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #13

There is a product called Trim-Loc drip rail. It has an adheisive back and fits right above the "so called" roof rail on the coach above the awnings. You don't even notice it after it is installed, it looks like part of the coach. Then we bought drip gutter spouts that extend beyond the coach (have to fabricate a little to attach with screws and silocone to attach to Trim-Loc) ours are mounted by drivers/passenger sides. Now all water travels to the gutters away from the coach. Everything is black so blends in with awning brackets. Trim-Loc is a 3M product they have a website but you can buy on Amazon.
NeeNee33.4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, water