Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #15

I am going to have to stop using spelling correction
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
X-2. Well stated. The Forest River Legacy almost same floor plan. I don't read about them failing with regularity

Russell
forest river.....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #17

We just started having trouble with our Scwintek twin track system. The popping you are hearing is almost certainly the gear slipping against the track. Note whether you are hearing it a the start or end of the opening/closing cycle and then look at the track. You will probably see evidence of excessive wear.
Rockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #18

While you are fortunate to have a 33.1 with the shorter slide, I wouldn't place much faith in the third rail. The new units have a larger motor, different rack gear material, and a different drive pinion gear. The popping is indicative a slippage and misalignment on the rack gear. I have dealt with Thor extensively but all they have are excuses - mostly blaming the customer. Schwintech and Thor have not solved the problem which is a fundamental design issue with weight, length, loose alignment and poor workmanship by Thor. Note that the Schwintech mechanism is unused on many other models without the systemic issues found on Thor products. While I apologize to Thor owners, Thor quality is far from adequate. You're best bet, other than getting rid of the coach which I eventually had to do, is to have the alignment checked periodically, have a spare motor and controller, make sure the levelers are down before operating the slide, and minimize the weight. If you start seeking the slide bind in areas as it travels in or out, get it checked as you'll eventually trip a motor on torque settings. Also learn where the slide controllers are located and how they work since, if the unit jams out, getting it to come back in is not a simply task. Don't expect any satisfaction or effective assistance from Thor.
73Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Sorry 73 but I just can't agree with your last statement.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Me either! Have gotten all the support and help I've ever ask for.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #21

Ditto here. I've found the quality and support from Thor to be exceptional. This is my second Thor coach, and while the Daybreak had quite a few relatively minor problems the first year, Thor stood behind their product and fixed every one under warranty.

The following 2 years before I traded it in on the Palazzo were virtually problem free, and anything that came up, I was able to fix myself.

Just sayin'...
Old 09-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #22

Ditto
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #23

I'm glad that some of you have had some success with Thor. Don't know if you have the Palazzo 33.2 with the slide issue or some other Thor product. However, after nearly two years of struggle with Thor, a lost count of returns to the dealer, a factory return, with months of loss of use and thousands in additional costs to me, the coach never made it through one trip without failing. I finally traded with a substantial loss after Thor was unable (simply dismissed) to undertake a permanent fix of the slide or address the other issues. Thor piled excuse on top of excuse but never fixed the many problems that extended well beyond the slide. While I hope that current owners have trouble free use, there are better buys out there. For an even better perspective, talk to the local service providers to get their opinion.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mariner View Post
I'm glad that some of you have had some success with Thor. Don't know if you have the Palazzo 33.2 with the slide issue or some other Thor product. However, after nearly two years of struggle with Thor, a lost count of returns to the dealer, a factory return, with months of loss of use and thousands in additional costs to me, the coach never made it through one trip without failing. I finally traded with a substantial loss after Thor was unable (simply dismissed) to undertake a permanent fix of the slide or address the other issues. Thor piled excuse on top of excuse but never fixed the many problems that extended well beyond the slide. While I hope that current owners have trouble free use, there are better buys out there. For an even better perspective, talk to the local service providers to get their opinion.
What year model did you have, and was it a 3 track system? What other big issues did Thor not address. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up trading for, and how much of a hit did you take on trading?
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #25

Another factor in dealing with Thor is to have a local dealer that will push them to stand behind their product. In my case, they were only too quick to push me to deal with Thor who eventually fixed almost nothing. The slide was only one major issue. I also had extensive flooding from water lines that were never connected, cabinet doors falling off (impossible to correct per Thor but I eventually found a simple low cost fix) , being locked out and having to crawl in through a window (fortunately the latch was also defective), refrigerator falling out, bedroom drawers that were open to the outside and filled with duct and dirt, failed AC that was installed incorrectly AC (ever spent five weeks in 95+ degrees with no AC while being repeatedly told there was nothing wrong) AC ducts that were left open to the outside, roof leaks, dashboard falling apart, AC vent lines falling apart, et al. Part of this was horrible workmanship at the factory but a lot more was the design and materials used. Repeatedly, Thor used the bait and switch to settle - coming to agreements and then reneging at the last moment with no permanent repairs. Eventually, I got nothing and was stuck with a coach that was simply not usable. It was either lose my entire investment with a coach that was dead in the water of take the hit of a trade. I made full disclosure to the dealer - who was fully aware of the issues. Again, if you're considering a coach, talk to the repair shops first.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mariner View Post

Sorry for your loss.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, this thread is specifically about owners experiences with the triple track slide system. Let's get back on topic please.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #28

Thanks Bruce...