Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #29

We quit dealing with dealers when they would lie to us about what THOR would do or not do. We found out they never even would talk to THOR and had our first THOR coach weeks at a time. We started dealing directly with Thor and gave had satisfaction. This is not a car that is put together by robots. It is complicated vehicle. House, etc. show me one custom built house that when is completed does not have a punch list .

StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #30

What he said...

Old 10-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #31

2015 33.3 One year old this past week (from purchase). Nine different multi-day trips, 11,000 miles, zero slide out problems . . . . so far. Gear tracks are in very good shape. No odd noises when operating although I hold my breath every time. So far so good. Yes we have the triple track system. Parked next to a 36.1 this weekend who couldn't use his large slide because after a loud POP it quit working. Other end works but motor on front end is toast.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #32

That sucks. Do you know the year of his 36.1?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #33

He said it was still under warranty and that it was also just coming up on a year old, however, he has the two track system. I'm thinking it's a 2013 or older but it's a year old to him? Otherwise not sure. I hadn't seen the paint colors before. Very light cream color base with light grays and white accents. His DEF tank was on the driver side. His black tank did not have a flush system, he had to install one. Not sure if any of that helps to date it.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #34

Loud POP

That sounds like a slide motor issue rather than the actual slide. I guess that could happen to any whether 2-trax or 3-trax, although I'm pretty sure the late 2014 and 2015 with the 3-trax have stronger motors if I'm not mistaken.
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #35

Modifications to the 2013 and 2014 (basically adding the third track) have made little difference. Significant mods (third track, different track material, larger motor with higher torque settings, different motor pinion gear) were not initiated until late 2015's and 2016's. While all the slides are suspect because they are simply not designed robust enough to stay in alignment and carry the weight, the 33.2 is the most vulnerable. Thor will assert that the third rail addition to the older units solve the problem but subsequent operational failures are not consistent with that statement.
73Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mariner View Post
Modifications to the 2013 and 2014 (basically adding the third track) have made little difference. Significant mods (third track, different track material, larger motor with higher torque settings, different motor pinion gear) were not initiated until late 2015's and 2016's. While all the slides are suspect because they are simply not designed robust enough to stay in alignment and carry the weight, the 33.2 is the most vulnerable. Thor will assert that the third rail addition to the older units solve the problem but subsequent operational failures are not consistent with that statement.
What makes you say that the 33.2 is the most vulnerable? My 36.1 has a long if not longer then yours. Knock on wood I have never as of yet had a problem!

I think the Hail Marys and heavy praying have something to do with it.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #37

Our 2014 33.2 experienced the second large slide failure (double track) three weeks ago, almost a year to the day from the first failure. Having followed this forum and these threads closely I contacted Mark Stanley at TMC. After an exchange of emails discussing the first repair done by the dealer (who claimed to have "much experience") and reviewing photos of the work they had done, Thor agreed to repair the system again with a triple track upgrade. After a couple more emails about options for location we were directed to Carrier and Sons RV in Eugene OR, an independent shop who does a lot of work for Thor that dealers can't handle.

When we arrived at the shop there was a Palazzo 36.1 parked there, so at least we knew they had seen the unit before. Initial discussions with the owners and tech left us feeling these people know the system, they work with Thor on a regular basis, and we felt confident in having them do the repair.

After a couple of days in the shop we have a new triple track system. The tech found numerous problems with the previous repair, all of which he remedied. Rollers out of alignment, the entire drive mechanism set too far back from the slide and not aligned to the slide side wall, most of the fasteners attaching the braces missing or sheared off. He spent a long time talking about the system and the process of repair, and said none of the many repairs they have done for Thor have needed to be redone.

If you have slide problems don't take your rig to a dealer, contact Thor and discuss the options with them. And if you are on the west coast, I recommend you consider Carrier and Sons RV for the repair.
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #38

Wow, how many days did it take total. We have a 2014 33.2 and are just getting ready to start the process with Thor. Did Thor cover any of the cost to upgrade to the Triple Track? We just finished a trip to OR and WA from Northern NV., no total failures of the wall, but lots of popping, jerking and excessive wear to the tracks that is plainly visible. Where are you based if you don't mind me asking? We can continue this offline if you want. There is lots to like about the RV but the big slide is a major worry.
Rockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #39

Even if the third track is added, the problem is not solved. If you're taking the time to return the unit to the factory, then demand the 2015 upgrade - third rail, new rail material, new pinion size and material, larger motors. While there has not been much feedback for the newest design, its better than the original. You also need to verify that what Thor said was done was actually applied. After sending my 33.2 to the factory for multiple repairs (well beyond the slide issues) and hearing from Thor staff that repairs/mods were made, not only was the work not totally completed but also the - repeatedly - I finally had to bite the bullet and dump it. Throughout the two year process, Thor repeatedly did not do what they said they would do or asserted that hey did, reneged on agreements, and repeatedly came up with outlandish reasons why what was wrong was not really a problem.

While all units have risks, good points and bad points; any potential owner needs to perform a lot of research before making a commitment. Owner forums like this are one of the best sources of information.
73Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Just had my big slide upgraded to the new triple track at Thor service center in Wakarusa, In. Along with a few other items all was completed to my satisfaction and had the chance to hang there until Goshen rally to run the slide in and out many times before I left. All is to my satisfaction with slide. Took tech about 5-6 hours to upgrade slide mechanisms.

Going on 23000.0 miles and still satisfied. Currently in Outter Banks and attending a second rally tomorrow at Cape Hatteras. NC

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcop View Post
Wow, how many days did it take total. We have a 2014 33.2 and are just getting ready to start the process with Thor. Did Thor cover any of the cost to upgrade to the Triple Track? We just finished a trip to OR and WA from Northern NV., no total failures of the wall, but lots of popping, jerking and excessive wear to the tracks that is plainly visible. Where are you based if you don't mind me asking? We can continue this offline if you want. There is lots to like about the RV but the big slide is a major worry.
PM sent.
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Palazzo 36.1 Slide Issue

I unloaded my piece of crap 2014 Palazzo 36.1 this weekend because of all the problems with the large slide (and many other issues too). It has been into the dealer on several occasions for problems with the large slide. About 8 months ago, the dealer installed the triple track. Then, in November, 2015, while retracting the slide, it stopped about 4" from the complete retraction. Was able to use the controller to override and get the slide in. Tried process again, same issue. Took it BACK to dealer. They had the coach 3 weeks (again). Dealer replaced both motors with the upgraded ones, replaced the controller in the compartment, and made some roller adjustments. Picked up coach on Wednesday, opened slide 1 time...went to retract, it stopped 10" from being fully retracted. Ended up having to completely remove the rear (brand new) motor and call all the strong men in the neighborhood to assist me in manually pushing the extremely heavy slide in! What a nightmare! There have also been MANY other issues with this coach since day 1 of purchase! Thor has extremely poor quality control! If you're looking to purchase one of these coaches, I suggest you RUN the other direction! You will regret buying it! After all these problems, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough!