Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Poor workmanship

We purchased a 2018 36.1 in November 2017. We have not made the first trip yet and have already had 4 plumbing leaks. We are plumbers by trade fortunately or we would have had a disaster. Water filter canister was broken, washing machine lines were loose which flooded the inside. The master shower hose leaks, the ice maker line flooded the cargo compartment The kitchen sink leaked at the strainers.

Needless to say Thor will be getting a call tomorrow.

Anyone else experience the same issues?
ZuCrew2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased a few months earlier and fortunately haven't had any of those issues. Sorry you've experienced any of that much less all of it. Hopefully these are the last of your new coach issues and you can get out and enjoy your new Palazzo. Stay in touch and let us know how things work out.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
We hope we have resolved the issues - fortunately we are in the plumbing business so Carl was able to make repairs.

I do have a question for you unrelated to the leaks. Do you have a door over the microwave in your coach and if so, does it have the hydraulic cylinder to keep it open?
Thanks for replying,
Carl and Nancy Travis
The "Canine Coach" 2018
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #4

Don't know anything about a door above the microwave, at least not on ours...

yes, I've learn a little 'more' about plumbing, specifically my first experience with 'pex' fittings, as we had a toilet continuing to run and had to replace the cartridge, but also installed an in-line water cutoff since there is none from the factory.
also, changed out the kitchen sink drain flex hose to the 'sleeve' that connects to the plumbing down to the gray tank.
And, moved the water filter and water pump from the passenger side next to the water tank, to the opposite side in the water bay, amongst some other 'reorganizing' of the wet bay plumbing, and a water tank cut off valve since the Anderson valve cartridge tends to allow water into the tank even when you're on 'city water', after having already changed out the cartridge several times.. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore, period.!

a lot of 'learning' if you use the coach a lot... : ) but fun.

come see us in Hayesville/Tusquittee/ShootinCreek
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for the info - sounds like you have learned a lot about plumbing! We’re lucky that plumbing is our profession. I’ll make sure hubby sees your post as it may give him some insight. He’s already making plans to change out the faucets throughout the coach.

One tip for everyone who may read this thread. The strainers used by most manufacturers are plastic and they often will not seal. (Same applies in apartments, rental homes etc). Also check the connections in the traps as the constant movement may cause them to loosen over time. If you find the strainers in your sinks are not sealing, do yourself a favor and replace them with a stainless (anything but plastic) one. Cheaper isn’t always the best choice.

Carl and Nancy Travis
2018 Canine Coach Palazzo 36.1
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport, ZuCrew Car
Old 04-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #6

Sorry you're having some many problems with something you haven't even used yet. Here's hoping Thor managed to get the rest of your RV put together properly. For what these "toys" cost, you'd think the manufacturer could spend a little extra time making sure ALL the systems functioned properly. Most new purchasers don't have the necessary skill set to rebuild their brand new RV before using it.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Thank you for your response. I so agree. We're supposed to "relax" not work with this expensive toys. The manufacturer is part of the problem in this case but the dealer obviously didn't do their QI or PDI before we took possession.

Carl & Nancy
The Canine Coach 2018 Palazzo 36.1
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuCrew2017 View Post
Thank you for your response. I so agree. We're supposed to "relax" not work with this expensive toys. The manufacturer is part of the problem in this case but the dealer obviously didn't do their QI or PDI before we took possession.

Carl & Nancy
The Canine Coach 2018 Palazzo 36.1
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I generally agree dealers stink at PDI, focus mainly on cosmetics, don't test systems, and with today's increasingly complex units...they don't understand them either. Maybe it's the cynic in me that also thinks they rationalize/hope many of us will go the fix-it-ourselves route. Which of course we do or we'd never be out camping!
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #9

yes, I agree, I wish and hope that RVs would be perfect when we purchase them. I don't want to excuse anyone, especially the factory who actually is the one who builds these and has the facilities and processes to accurately test them, as they should. Dealers, unfortunately, are really at the mercy of the factory's quality control, it's not really the dealer's 'fault', they shouldn't have to spend the time and money and effort to 'make' the RVs perfect. It's also not the new owner's fault, and THEY should not have to spend the time and effort and aggravation 'waiting' on someone to fix it.

The reality, though, is that these are built by humans and humans are not perfect, not matter 'how' angry we get about it. On one hand we want everyone to have jobs, and on the other we blame those same folks for not doing a 'good enough' job, yet we also want an 'affordable' RV to travel and vacation with... there are a lot of pressures all the way around, and no one is without blame.
Even the owners sometimes bring some of this on themselves, innocently though, because they don't 'know' what they don't know, especially 'first timers' in the RVing world.

I equate buying a new RV to buying a house. While a lot of houses are brand new, and we expect them to be perfect from day one, the reality is the same, they aren't. This is why you'll see every Mortgage company in existence REQUIRE a professional inspection to make sure that the major systems and facilities are working properly, and that all safety feature and operational aspects are in tact and operating as they should. With RVs, though, we forget the 'house' feature we are buying, and just view it as buying a 'vehicle'. Maybe RV loan companies should start requiring a substantial and professional 'RV Inspection' before closing on the loan.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Maybe RV loan companies should start requiring a substantial and professional 'RV Inspection' before closing on the loan.[/B][/QUOTE]
I will second that proposal !!!!!!
We too found ALL plumbing fittings under the kitchen sink hand tight at best, took about a month for them to surface, luckily we were in the coach when it happened.
JBDALHB nailed it in his summation, Agreed..... it is a lot to keep up with on these new ever changing coaches and then try to relay this info to a NEW RV BUYER
I had owned a simple older gas rv years ago, nothing like this new big Diesel rig with numerous buttons, switches and bright lights. And before delivery I was trying to soak all of this in on top of a lot of components mainly the electronics that were not covered at all. So blame all around.
Luckily I am good with a wrench and a little Mechanical !!!!!
2 years and 20k miles later !!!!!! I am a Happy camper.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #11

We have a 2015 33.2. After two trips we thought we thought we had the lemon of all time. Long story short, some manufacturing structural defects which had it pulling it self apart inside. Thor paid a west coast outfit to repair. 5,000 miles later not a single problem. And now we love the coach.
Nxeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I will offer a substantial monetary wager that these items will not be the last you will find, and evidence of buffoonery, laziness and stupidity will reveal itself through your ownership experience. While checking my air filter this season, I noticed it was flooded with dead bees and bee hive remnants. I decided to chech the entire intake snorkel for foreign objects. I removed the screws from the mesh cover over the air intake to find the screws were 1.5 inches long when a 1/2 inch screw would have been overkill. My screen door was difficult to close for the same reason, a 1.5 inch screw holding the step sensor magnet. I guess they only have 1.5 inch screws. Every year, make and model I have ever seen or discussed has had overwhelming evidence of good to excellent design, poor to gross workmanship, and no test. The list of buffoonery in my 06 Monoco is vast and still growing.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this coach. I'm just thankful I can fix it myself.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #13

My list of buffoonery is long, bottom I truly believe my coach was built on a Friday afternoon. Here is one example of how they installed the main water lines pinched under the Kitchen cabinets. It would have taken the worker 2 seconds to kick the water lines out of the way with his foot before setting down the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E38DAE7-EB09-45F5-A1BD-B0BF408A734B.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	200621  
MonkeyButt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButt70 View Post
My list of buffoonery is long, bottom I truly believe my coach was built on a Friday afternoon. Here is one example of how they installed the main water lines pinched under the Kitchen cabinets. It would have taken the worker 2 seconds to kick the water lines out of the way with his foot before setting down the cabinet.
I believe we have a WINNER!!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote