Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Pro & Con about the WASHER/DRYER

In the process of research for my new coach which I will purchase in the next 6 months or so. Torn between the two model the Palazzo 33.3 and 33.4

I love the 33.3-floor plan, however, the 33.4-floor plan basically is close to being the same without the bunk bed but have the stack washer and dryer. Also, the 33.4 has 3 smaller slides which in my thought it may be more reliable because not much load on each slide. Seems to me there are not many 33.4 owners on this forum since there was no mentioned of comment on this model.

Having that said, the question here is the Washer/Dryer. It is a convenience for the DW, I was wondering if you are full time or extended RVer, how would you feel about your coach if it does or does not have the washer/dryer. Would you missed it if you do not have it?

I know that the washer/dryer add on would be a great convenience item but it also adding another 2 pieces of equipment for maintenance and possible failure. Would it worth to have a set?
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Where not full time or extended time other then 2-3 weeks at a time. We have the stacked washer dryer and would not be without it. Being able to do a load here and there so that when we get home all our cloths are clean and already hung, or in the drawers ready for out next trip saves the DW all the trouble of hauling them in the house washing for a couple of days and then hauling them back out to the coach. As to the loss of the Bunk Beds, do you have kids with you all the time so that they are a must have?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
In the process of research for my new coach which I will purchase in the next 6 months or so. Torn between the two model the Palazzo 33.3 and 33.4

I love the 33.3-floor plan, however, the 33.4-floor plan basically is close to being the same without the bunk bed but have the stack washer and dryer. Also, the 33.4 has 3 smaller slides which in my thought it may be more reliable because not much load on each slide. Seems to me there are not many 33.4 owners on this forum since there was no mentioned of comment on this model.

Having that said, the question here is the Washer/Dryer. It is a convenience for the DW, I was wondering if you are full time or extended RVer, how would you feel about your coach if it does or does not have the washer/dryer. Would you missed it if you do not have it?

I know that the washer/dryer add on would be a great convenience item but it also adding another 2 pieces of equipment for maintenance and possible failure. Would it worth to have a set?
We use our coach about 4 months out of the year. For us, it isn't about convenience per se. What it comes down to for us is how we want to spend our time.

Time is the one thing you can never make more of, you can only use that which we are each allotted in a better way.

Given a choice of spending 4 - 5 hours of our time each and every week sitting in a laundromat, or spending 5 minutes every 2 or 3 days tossing clothes & detergent into our Splendide combo washer/dryer, going out and doing stuff we want, or going to bed, and then either 3-4 hours later taking the clean dry clothes out of the combo, or just removing them in the morning, we know what we will chose every time!

Oh, by the way, I didn't mention:

Keeping a ready supply of quarters on hand, or,
buying a different "laundry card" at the latest campground, because this one uses different cards from the 5 others which you have that still have $20+ on them from OTHER campground laundromats, or,

washing your clothes in a washer that the last person used to wash their dog beds so your clothes now look like they have hair growing out of them or,

sharing the one chair that is present with the other 6 people who are washing clothes or,

getting to the laundromat and remembering that you forgot the pre-wash stain remover in your coach or

sitting in the sweltering heat of the laundromat because the AC doesn't work . . . . . .

We know which route WE will continue to take, but "opinions will vary!"
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

we full time with two teens and havent missed out on the WD need- we've found that more room/bunk options are more important for us - and we find laundr-o-mats easy to find, if most rv parks don't have them already on site...

50k miles in 23 months
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #5

Our previous RVs did not have a washer/dryer and I couldn't imagine why anyone would want them. They would not have been high on my list if we were buying a new coach but we didn't buy a new coach and the used one we bought had the stacked W/D.

I LOVE them!! No more dragging clothes through the campground hoping that there are washers & dryers open to eat my quarters and hopefully run well enough to do the job. I can do a couple of loads when we're at a full hook up site while doing other domestic type projects or having a cocktail!

We don't full time nor qualify for part time but if we were looking for a new coach (and we aren't), the W/D would be on my list of must haves.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
Community Administrator

We took ours out and had three huge drawers installed in its place ( lighting is off in this photo ) . DW utilized and enjoyed them more than the combo that didn't wash or dry well and had to be run a few times a week due to small load capacity.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462106309.543420.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  59.7 KB

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Is it a separate washer/dryer or a single combo unit? Is the dryer vented?

I ask because like many others we never had any interest in having a W/D, until we had one. The best part is drying towels and bathing suits. But being able to was small loads is very useful.

We don't have the combo unit, but from what I've read they seem of little use and take forever to wash and dry a small load of clothes. The drying capability of non vented dryers sounds pretty limited too. Our vented whirlpool works fairly well for a 120 v unit.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Where not full time or extended time other then 2-3 weeks at a time. We have the stacked washer dryer and would not be without it. Being able to do a load here and there so that when we get home all our cloths are clean and already hung, or in the drawers ready for out next trip saves the DW all the trouble of hauling them in the house washing for a couple of days and then hauling them back out to the coach. As to the loss of the Bunk Beds, do you have kids with you all the time so that they are a must have?
We like the 33.3 because we were planned to take them out and turn that into small work area in the future if need to be, but that is not that big of deal.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Is it a separate washer/dryer or a single combo unit? Is the dryer vented?

I ask because like many others we never had any interest in having a W/D, until we had one. The best part is drying towels and bathing suits. But being able to was small loads is very useful.

We don't have the combo unit, but from what I've read they seem of little use and take forever to wash and dry a small load of clothes. The drying capability of non vented dryers sounds pretty limited too. Our vented whirlpool works fairly well for a 120 v unit.
In the Palazzo, Thor used the stack washer/dryer which is better than the all-in-one unit. As far as venting, thanks for brought that up, i will look for that on my next visit to the local dealer.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We took ours out and had three huge drawers installed in its place ( lighting is off in this photo ) . DW utilized and enjoyed them more than the combo that didn't wash or dry well and had to be run a few times a week due to small load capacity.

Attachment 125710
Yeah, I heard many bad things about the combo. You did the right thing.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
...I know that the washer/dryer add on would be a great convenience item but it also adding another 2 pieces of equipment for maintenance and possible failure. Would it worth to have a set?
The person doing the wash is the only opinion you need to consider.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the stacked W and Dryer. We spend a lot of time at places with pools or beaches and love being able to dry the beach towels and swimsuits quickly for the next day without having to hang up towels outside or in the shower
js43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
The person doing the wash is the only opinion you need to consider.
jones47172
I have no doubt that I would have been traveling alone for the last 20 years if I had bought a coach without the Splendide 2000 combo.
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been once a month weekender and couple three times a year week plus trips. Previous coach has combo unit, current coach has separate stacked units. The combo unit we very seldom used - slow, small capacity, etc. The stacked units we use quite a bit especially on the longer trips - faster, higher capacity, etc. The stacked units were in my want list for this coach as we will use it for multiple month trips in upcoming retirement years.

In summary. If combo I would not get no matter the usage model. If longer trips are in the usage model, get the stacked units.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote