Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Problems putting gas in my 2015 Palazzo

I have a 2015 Palazzo 33.3. We took in on a long trip this last week and I fueled it up several times. At most gas stations I had trouble with the gas pump stopping prematurely and gas shooting out. My last stop I tried everything I could with the way the pump handle was in the MH and it still keep spilling out. Finally I had to go the the other side (drivers side and it worked fine). I did all my fueling at Pilot/flying J but I don’t know if their pumps are the problem. This is my first MH so I was surprised when I went to fuel it for the first time that the gas spout was basicallly completely vertical instead of slanted in like automobiles so I had to always hold onto the pump handle or it would come out. Has anyone else had these problems. If so do you have a solution. Thanks.
Danny Clapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2013 36.1 spits out on the drivers side and works good on the pass. side.
When I need to pump on the drivers side I set the pump handle lock to 1st or 2nd notch maximum.
f4sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #3

I have the 33.3 also. I mostly refill at Flying J's as well. I actually flip my handle completely upside down when I refill. If not it always kicks off.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #4

Even the slightest angle one side or the other when parked at the pump will send fuel toward the downhill side. on mine I try to fill on the uphill side if I can't get level. also best to have rear lower than front when pumping. handle must be held on mine at all times. won't fit in like a car. don't know if that was purposeful in the design.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

I have a tiffin phaeton and have same issue at pilot. Sometimes I can fill tank to full on gauge, sometimes it only allows me to fill 3/4-7/8 full, no matter how I try .
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Clapp View Post
I have a 2015 Palazzo 33.3. We took in on a long trip this last week and I fueled it up several times. At most gas stations I had trouble with the gas pump stopping prematurely and gas shooting out. My last stop I tried everything I could with the way the pump handle was in the MH and it still keep spilling out. Finally I had to go the the other side (drivers side and it worked fine). I did all my fueling at Pilot/flying J but I don’t know if their pumps are the problem. This is my first MH so I was surprised when I went to fuel it for the first time that the gas spout was basicallly completely vertical instead of slanted in like automobiles so I had to always hold onto the pump handle or it would come out. Has anyone else had these problems. If so do you have a solution. Thanks.
Danny, I know the problem as I had a '15 33.3. In fact, I had yours. I had the same problem--never could fill on passenger side. Filling from drivers side was possible but a pain.

Some things that help:

1) Open both fuel caps.
2) Turn nozzle horizontal (hold it) and try to aim toward rear of coach. The fill hose is nearly horizontal back to the tank.
3) Forget using the "clicker". You have to stand there and hold the nozzle.
4) Try to learn new code swear words that only you know--so your kids won't hear what you really think when your shoes get doused in diesel.

I never worked on this (I should have!), but some folks say that the factory may have not made these fill hoses as straight as they should have. The available angle is very shallow (the fill doors are under the floor of coach), but there should be a very small but important downward slope toward the tank.

If you ever have the coach on a lift or on drive-up wood blocks, you might look up under there with a flashlight. See if there are any dips, bows, or kinks in the fill hose from the fill door to tank. Also, I think there is a smaller air vent line coming back from tank that should be relatively straight and open.

I don't have the link, but search on Palazzo forum for someone who made this problem better by straightening out this fill hose line and correcting a 'dip' in the line.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #7

Thank you all so much for your reply’s. At the least it’s good to know that others have had similar problems which means that it’s not just the person trying to fill the RV. I appreciate all the tips and I will definantly be implementing them on my next road trip. I have already lost a good pair of tennis shoes and several gallons of deisel from my bad experiences. I am more confident that I can use these strategies to overcome these problems and have better experiences at the pump. Happy trails - Danny
Danny Clapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Clapp View Post
Thank you all so much for your reply’s. At the least it’s good to know that others have had similar problems which means that it’s not just the person trying to fill the RV. I appreciate all the tips and I will definantly be implementing them on my next road trip. I have already lost a good pair of tennis shoes and several gallons of deisel from my bad experiences. I am more confident that I can use these strategies to overcome these problems and have better experiences at the pump. Happy trails - Danny
Good luck! Just one piece of advice....I tried opening the other opposite side cap on mine and ended up pouring diesel out the other side for several gallons worth until I realized what was happening as I was standing holding the pump on the opposite side. Mine has a real bad habit of draining out the lowest point! So any angle on the driveway must be observed.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:56 PM   #9

Same issue here.

After I insert the nozzle, I stuff paper towels around the opening. When it shuts off, the towels prevent the flow from making a mess.
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

I’ve found that holding the fuel nozzle upside down allows me to fill without it shutting off. I also dumped gallons on the other side when I opened both fuel caps. Make sure someone is watching on the other side if you do that. I do a lot of math. So i know about how many gallons I’ve used and know what it will take to fill. When I get close I try to listen to the fuel going in. It will change sounds right before it comes flying out. I haven’t found a great solution but that is what I’ve learned.

Mgw44
mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #11

Just did 2 fill-ups in the last week and I observed the following. Both times, no problem with it shutting off if I turn the nozzle horizontal with the handle pointing to the rear. It actually stays in by itself without holding it! However, my Palazzo is very fussy about being level. I was on an ever so slight angle downward toward the drivers side fill. As such, it popped off as full, and fuel was overflowing (just barely) and I still had at least 10-15 gallons to go. No way to fill it further without moving the motorhome angle to have the fuel flow rearward and away from the spout. I try to find fuel stops with level pads or ones where I use the fill side that is uphill to avoid this.

Tags
ems, gas, problem, problems