Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Pulling a trailer

Hey guys,

There are a lot of discussions online about pulling trailers and the hitch extensions, but I still have some questions. Basically it comes down to pulling an 18' trailer with a car inside of it. Length wise I am fine, but weight is my concern.

The trailer plus car comes in at ~7000 lbs. It is has a V front that is about 20" tongue length, but everyone suggests around 40" length. My ball mount obviously gives me 8” or so.

The trailer place gave me an a nice Curt extension that is about 10" but I noticed is says 3500 lbs for the limit.

So basically what is the length you guys are running? Also what weights are you pulling. I am pretty new to pulling a trailer, so any insight is great. And I am running a 2017 33.3.

Thanks!
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #2

drvintin-

Interesting...

Brochure says GVWR is 26,000 and GCWR is 30,000 pounds, with 10,000-pound hitch rating.

If coach is fully-loaded (GVW = GVWR), then the most you can flat-tow is 4,000 pounds, in which case 7,000 pounds is 3,000 pounds over the coach's rating.

I don't see any 2017 Palazzo model with GCWR - GVWR over 5,000 pounds, which makes me wonder why they bothered to claim a 10,000-pound hitch rating.

As I said, interesting.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Me ? I'm 9800 lbs Loaded. Length = 68 ft.
My Hitch is rated @ 10,000 lbs. Tongue length 60 in. I always use a WD set up.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Me ? I'm 9800 lbs Loaded. Length = 68 ft.
My Hitch is rated @ 10,000 lbs. Tongue length 60 in. I always use a WD set up.
How are you running 60 inches? What extension are you using for that kind of weight?
Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
drvintin-

Interesting...

Brochure says GVWR is 26,000 and GCWR is 30,000 pounds, with 10,000-pound hitch rating.

If coach is fully-loaded (GVW = GVWR), then the most you can flat-tow is 4,000 pounds, in which case 7,000 pounds is 3,000 pounds over the coach's rating.

I don't see any 2017 Palazzo model with GCWR - GVWR over 5,000 pounds, which makes me wonder why they bothered to claim a 10,000-pound hitch rating.

As I said, interesting.
Really the weight there doesn't concern me as much. I try to run pretty light in the RV. I just don't understand how people are getting the length to the trailer from the hitch. It looks like all the extensions I see are going to cut 30-50% off the hitch rating. So that is instantly from 10,000 to 5,000 lbs, but it seems people are running much heavier.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:54 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
How are you running 60 inches? What extension are you using for that kind of weight?
No Extensions- My Trailer Tongue is 60 in from the front frame. The standard length is 48 from the factory and I upgraded to 60 inches for better turning radius for my MH.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #7

I would suggest taking a hard look at the weight you are contemplating towing, as your 33.3 is not going to have the capacity for that much, at least as compared to what the Freightliner chassis GVWR and GVCWR are stated for. Regardless of the size of the 10,000lb hitch rating, the CHASSIS determines how much 'towing' capacity you have beyond your coach's loaded weight.

If, like mine, your coach weighs in the 25,000lbs to 25,750lbs range when loaded with stuff, people, fuel, water, etc., then you have only 4,250lbs to 5,000lbs of actually 'towing' capacity, with the 30,000lb GVCWR for your coach.
While no one on these forums can suggest that you go beyond those factory stated limits, I'm sure that some do and either don't know it, don't understand how to calculate it correctly, or don't worry about it so much.

While we and others tow cars, as 'toads', which can weigh close to those numbers, we also have no 'downforce' weight on the hitch, which is also limited to 1,000lbs for trailers like yours. I have used an extension before, a 8" inverted drop, for a toad that required a higher pin connection level with my hitch, but that make a lot less concern than using one for a downforce ball connection for a trailer, if needed.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #8

Extended tongue and
https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Brophy/BH20.html
Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I would suggest taking a hard look at the weight you are contemplating towing, as your 33.3 is not going to have the capacity for that much, at least as compared to what the Freightliner chassis GVWR and GVCWR are stated for. Regardless of the size of the 10,000lb hitch rating, the CHASSIS determines how much 'towing' capacity you have beyond your coach's loaded weight.

If, like mine, your coach weighs in the 25,000lbs to 25,750lbs range when loaded with stuff, people, fuel, water, etc., then you have only 4,250lbs to 5,000lbs of actually 'towing' capacity, with the 30,000lb GVCWR for your coach.
While no one on these forums can suggest that you go beyond those factory stated limits, I'm sure that some do and either don't know it, don't understand how to calculate it correctly, or don't worry about it so much.

While we and others tow cars, as 'toads', which can weigh close to those numbers, we also have no 'downforce' weight on the hitch, which is also limited to 1,000lbs for trailers like yours. I have used an extension before, a 8" inverted drop, for a toad that required a higher pin connection level with my hitch, but that make a lot less concern than using one for a downforce ball connection for a trailer, if needed.
Yeah I started looking at that last night after the previous poster mentioned it. I have taken stuff out, and usually run with the water pretty empty, but you are right, the weight concerns me. I think the chassis is probably fine, it is the engine that limits the weight. I started looking at other models and noticed if they have the 340hp over the 300 then their weight increase accordingly.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #10

or tow dolly it

I ran into the same situation when we started with my NEW '14 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, a great car, but no ActiveDriveII for a Neutral, so no 'toad'....we had tow dollied it behind our Georgetown for a few months, but I grew tired QUICKLY of that!......traded it in for my Ford Fiesta and a LOT of money back! The Fiesta tows so easy and light, and it's a 4 door and automatic! You don't even know it's back there, and you also have room for a cargo platform and 4bike rack on the accessory hitch I added!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
or tow dolly it

I ran into the same situation when we started with my NEW '14 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, a great car, but no ActiveDriveII for a Neutral, so no 'toad'....traded it in for my Ford Fiesta and a LOT of money back! The Fiesta tows so easy and light, and it's a 4 door and automatic!
My problem is I had too many kids! With me and the wife plus four kids it is hard to find a tow car that carries us all that doesn't cost a fortune. I think it is going to just be time to get a golf cart and make that work!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:48 AM   #12

yep, one of the drawbacks of towing a vehicle for the 'family', at least a sizable one! Other than a Dodge GrandCaravan, or something similar, it's an SUV for sure.

Tags
trailer