Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

Remove Laundry?

We are contemplating the purchase of a 2014 33.2 for a year of travel - moving most every day seeing as much of the lower 48 as we can before settling down in a new house with an elderly parent.

We are trying to decide if it makes sense to remove the washer & dryer and use that space for storage. We were expecting to use laundromats so are looking for opinions about how useful it is to have laundry in the RV and how adequate the storage might be for a year of constant travel.

TIA!
CMcGGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcGGray View Post
We are contemplating the purchase of a 2014 33.2 for a year of travel - moving most every day seeing as much of the lower 48 as we can before settling down in a new house with an elderly parent.

We are trying to decide if it makes sense to remove the washer & dryer and use that space for storage. We were expecting to use laundromats so are looking for opinions about how useful it is to have laundry in the RV and how adequate the storage might be for a year of constant travel.

TIA!
We have a 33.3 which has bunk beds, I think this is where a washer and dryer would go on other models. We Love the extra space the bunks provide. We wanted bunks for extra sleeping and didn't realize how much we would really use that space for storage !!! Dog kennel, shoes, camera equipment etc. As for laundry we have made some long trips across country and are really pleased with the laundry areas in most parks.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very much personal preference. We love our stacked washer dryer and not having to use a outside laundry.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Love the laundry would not get rid of it.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:

TIA!
We purchased a 2104, 33.2 in December 2o16. I was pretty reluctant about the need and practicality of a washer and dryer. We have had several trips in excess of four to six weeks. We have found the washer and dryer very convenient and a big time saver. You can put a load in the washer and go on about you business, come back later and move the load to the dryer

Previous experience with on extended trip with a pull behind with no laundry, I found laundry day to be a nightmare. I found most of the laundry mat's, hot, noisy, dirty and expensive. It was a great way to waste a whole afternoon.

I know that storage is at a premium, with a laundry you do not have to take as many clothes. I think it would be more efficient to use the space under the dinette seats for storage and keep the laundry.
mcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

One more piece of advice

We have really enjoyed our 33.2.

That being said the purchase experience left allot to be desired.

Knowing what I know now and having it to do over again I would have had the coach professionally inspected. It may seem to be expensive, in my case it would have paid for itself by identifying issues that came up after purchase.

(house batteries needed to be replaced, windshield wipers didn't work, loose interior trim, house batteries wouldn't charge when the engine was running, Anderson 4 way valve needed to be replaced)
mcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:

TIA!
We have a big bus with a separate washer/dryer. Just finished repairing both units at minimal cost (my labor/parts online ... shocks and belts). If the cost was going to exceed $100 both units were going in the dumpster. I am parked in a motorcoach resort with a laundry room 200 ft. away. $1.50 per load (wash or dry) .... can't beat it! I've only been to a handful of locations where finding a laundromat was ever an issue.

BTW, I would never use an RV dryer and leave the coach unattended. Mine ( a Majestic) gets really hot and has a poorly designed vent (and no lint trap).
Old 06-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
We have a big bus with a separate washer/dryer. Just finished repairing both units at minimal cost (my labor/parts online ... shocks and belts). If the cost was going to exceed $100 both units were going in the dumpster. I am parked in a motorcoach resort with a laundry room 200 ft. away. $1.50 per load (wash or dry) .... can't beat it! I've only been to a handful of locations where finding a laundromat was ever an issue.

BTW, I would never use an RV dryer and leave the coach unattended. Mine ( a Majestic) gets really hot and has a poorly designed vent (and no lint trap).
Agreed, I am funny about leaving an un attended dryer on as well...... we try to pick a nice place to stay while on the road and have seen some very nice laundry facilities and a couple bad ones too.... but typically those were at the quick over night parks, no big deal. It seems to me hauling around a washer and dryer to do a couple loads a week ???? Now if I had a lot of kids or was full timing that might be a different story.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf View Post
Agreed, I am funny about leaving an un attended dryer on as well...... we try to pick a nice place to stay while on the road and have seen some very nice laundry facilities and a couple bad ones too.... but typically those were at the quick over night parks, no big deal. It seems to me hauling around a washer and dryer to do a couple loads a week ???? Now if I had a lot of kids or was full timing that might be a different story.
X2

If buying new, I think it might depend on location (hallway/bedroom/etc.) and cost. If the space was near the kitchen, I would probably opt for storage. If the space was in the bedroom, I would definitely opt for storage.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #10

It's really a matter of personal preference. For me, having my own washer and dryer is invaluable.
I DO NOT want to use a washer and dryer that 100's of other people have used.
I've seen how nasty some people can be; and that crosses all socio and economic levels.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
While it's a personal choice, I would never give up my stacked washer/dryer. We use it all the time. It's easy to just throw a load in and sit for a while. Some CGs don't have enough machines and you have to wait, (not fun) for one to open up. Plus you don't have to pay for the washers and dryers.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #12

As the other replies to your question have said this is very much a matter of personal choice. However, look a their signatures to see which of them actually have a Palazzo and know the available storage in your model. There are a lot of opinions on this forum from owners of other brands which while helpful lack the insight of actual experience.

We full time in a Palazzo 33.2 and converted the laundry cabinet into storage, greatly expanding the pantry space available. We spend several months each winter in a RV park in the desert which has decent laundry facilities on site. When traveling the rest of the year more of the time we are parked at places with no sewer hookups or boon-docking so using an on board washer is not possible because of gray water capacity. Local sources and online reviews can usually point you to a good laundromat and doing several large loads gets you in and out quickly.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsol View Post
As the other replies to your question have said this is very much a matter of personal choice. However, look a their signatures to see which of them actually have a Palazzo and know the available storage in your model. There are a lot of opinions on this forum from owners of other brands which while helpful lack the insight of actual experience.

We full time in a Palazzo 33.2 and converted the laundry cabinet into storage, greatly expanding the pantry space available. We spend several months each winter in a RV park in the desert which has decent laundry facilities on site. When traveling the rest of the year more of the time we are parked at places with no sewer hookups or boon-docking so using an on board washer is not possible because of gray water capacity. Local sources and online reviews can usually point you to a good laundromat and doing several large loads gets you in and out quickly.
X2
Old 06-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #14

Have a 33.2 and when the washer broke pulled it out (main board went out) and put in a closet. The cost to repair was $450 for parts alone. We discussed leaving just the dryer so that when we came in from a day on the range or rafting we could dry towels, clothes, etc.

I love the closet and extra space. While we liked having the ability to do our laundry in house, we found it to noisy, hot and had to be connected to electric and sewer. We can go do all our laundry in the time it took to do a load in the coach.

Like others have said - it is a personal decision. You can always just leave it as is and see if you really need it or not. Ours became a hamper.

I see you are in Orlando. I would have welcomed you over to see what we did but we leave Tuesday for 3 months.
Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote