RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Natural events in a woods are one thing, especially caused by wildlife. Damaging a tree in a highly visited park by humans is another issue. If everyone that visited that park were to damage just one tree, in a short period of time all the trees would be gone and future campers would have a treeless campground.
Someone should have told that to the Aztecs!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #44

KY Bob: Your were absolutely right !

I have been around camping, hunting, guns and knives my whole life and you NEVER throw a knife (or shoot a gun) in the direction of other people. If as you say you were "About 20 ft on the other side of the tree." Then he was being stupid and reckless and you had every right to ask him to stop. I would have done the same thing. Congratulations on doing the right thing.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #45

"Where has general respect for others understanding how to act safe around others and other peopleís property gone."
To this is would say... Don't let one bad experience lead you to believe respect is gone. I'm sure you've had many, many great camping experiences! Best thing is to probably just brush it off this time, and stay positive about next time!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #46

Like everything else.....It's all about me now days!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #47

Next time, why not try it? It takes all kinds to make up our world. Sounds like "Grizzly Adams" was a decent enough guy.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
We need a melting snowflake emoji.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #49

My mother said no much past the time I could chew I ate more Cracker Jacks than anyone UNTIL one had the wobbly tin bladed knife with a dull blade about 1" long. Not long after I had my 1st pocket knife and have had a knife in my pocket, on my belt, or both ever since. The survival knife issued to me is a possession I'll never give up.
Yes, dug fox holes and played war with BB guns. No one lost an eye.
At age 10 I put a 22 rifle in lay away at a pawn shop near my grand parents home. At age 12 I had my 1st 12 ga shot gun and a year later a 30.06 rifle and 38 cal revolver.
Soon after that I became an Eagle Scout.
Other than 2 years in South East Asia I never hurt or killed anyone, those years do not count.
I have a concealed carry permit, and no one can ever tell but I carry often.
Had the knife thrower been throwing in an unsafe direction I would have asked to change direction or find another area. I'd also ask to see the knife he was throwing and ask just how it is done.
Boys are stuck behind a screen today. They have no idea about hunting, fishing, or survival. Sad.
Has the call to let a man's feminine side show have many to have lost their masculine side?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #50

Every campground, public park, nature walk, etc I have entered has had a sign or multiple signs posted stating in some manner that its not allowed to scar or efface plants and trees in the parks so there is no way to justify using them for any sort of target practice. This type of regulation is not unique to the USA either as most of the World has similar regulations.

Now as for approaching a knife thrower personally who is violating this widely upheld prohibition, well that is taking a personal risk. Usually best to just quietly report the violation to the parks management and let them deal with it.

This is the verbiage from the National Park Service with most State, County, City and Private Parks/Campground having similar (note that I bolded the parts most applicable to the current topic:

"All plant, animals, mineral, archeological, and cultural resources are protected within the park. Possessing, destroying, injuring, defacing, removing, digging, or disturbing from its natural state any such resources or their parts while within the park is prohibited."

One may try to rationalize throwing a knife, etc into a tree or other illegal activity as something of minor concern however it is still illegal activity and can carry a hefty fine if the proper authorities catch you doing it. Note that the fines are accumulative based on the number of individual violations/items involved.

Where I live putting a scar on a tree or topping it while pruning it can get you a day in court and things can really escalate if the tree is a protected species in that area and this includes trees on your own property.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #51

Not being there itís hard to say if the behavior in and if it self is rude vs being unaware of your surroundings. It needs to be highlighted that he did stop. What purpose wouldíve been served calling the park ranger or park owner AFTER he had ceased the target practice? Iím sorry, I cannot buy into the harming the tree narrative.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 AM   #52

As I understand the original post, the guy throwing the knife, was aiming at a tree, with children 20 feet away behind said tree.

He was asked to not throw in their direction and he stopped. I too, would have asked him to stop in that situation. This story turned out well, no other action was needed.

As far as nature, and campground behavior, I try to go by the rule to leave the place better than I found it. I don't tell others what to do, but perhaps by my leading by example, a few others might do the same.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
We were. About 20 ft on the other side of the tree.
I will refrain from any more comments, sorry if I bothered anyone.
Bye
A little thin skinned Bob? No one dare question your statements? The replies before you taking umbrage didn't sound disrespectful or mean in the least. Please, do not deny us of your camping concerns.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #54

Where has general respect for others understanding how to act safe around others and other peopleís property gone.
Rude? He offered to let you join him. He stopped when you asked him to. Where do you get rude out of this?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #55

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
We were. About 20 ft on the other side of the tree.
I will refrain from any more comments, sorry if I bothered anyone.
Bye
Well Bob
Did you go North into Southern Indiana ?
Or On South Deeper into Kentucky ?
I think I would want the tallented knife thrower to be my friend. For many reasons.

Shaven or unshaven.

Lots and lots of great camping opportunities on both sides of the river.
Most all great people utilizing them.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #56

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Hot coals?
A few years ago a family dumped their hot charcoal remains into the full dumpster before heading out.
The dumpster caught on fire.

This year a group dumped their coals on the well groomed grass between sites as they left right after cooking breakfast.

Both were young families.

So patience and respectful education to the campground lifestyle is a continuous process.

Befriend your neighbors and be available to guide and be a good example.

Closed Thread