Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Schwintek Slide Won't Retract

Our large Schwintek Slide will not retract. The rear part of the slide moves in about 2 inches and stops. The front, does not move. The jacks are down and the motorhome is level. I have moved the drivers seat up as far as it will go and have checked for obstructions both on the exterior and interior, did not find any obstructions. The small rear slide is operating fine. We have never had any problems with either slide until now. Any Suggestions on how to correct this problem? Thank you for your help!
CindyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To start, Check the slide controller located in the basement bay under the slide to see if its giving a fault code, then you'll have some idea whats wrong. Secondly, I suggest checking the wiring harness on the front motor to see if its connected and in good condition.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Find slide controller. Lights will be flashing a code. No matter on the code at the moment. Next to the flashing led lights is a recessed small button. I used a pencil with an eraser on the end, push the black button quickly six times and then hold it on the seventh time until the red and green sights begin to flash alternately. Now retract your slide with the normal retract switch.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

yes, as stated, using the 'override' feature on the controller will most likely bring the slide in... hopefully.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Find slide controller. Lights will be flashing a code. No matter on the code at the moment. Next to the flashing led lights is a recessed small button. I used a pencil with an eraser on the end, push the black button quickly six times and then hold it on the seventh time until the red and green sights begin to flash alternately. Now retract your slide with the normal retract switch.

Thank you for the info. I did as you said however only the rear retracts, the front does not. I didn’t move it all the way in as I was afraid I might damage something. The error code indicates a wire short between controller and motor. Should we try pushing the front part of the slide as the rear begins retracting? I guess a mechanic is the best bet for locating the wire short? I don’t even know where the motor is located. LOL Thank you!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the override doesn't work, I concur with you that you should leave it up to a professional to handle.

For education: The motor (s) are located in the top corners of the slide. You will be able to see the motor and wiring harness from the inside of the coach by pulling back on the rubber stripping. The wiring is pretty fragile.....The makers of the slide system have educational videos and diagrams that you should watch at Lippert.com. They also have an app for your phone.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltner View Post
If the override doesn't work, I concur with you that you should leave it up to a professional to handle.

For education: The motor (s) are located in the top corners of the slide. You will be able to see the motor and wiring harness from the inside of the coach by pulling back on the rubber stripping. The wiring is pretty fragile.....The makers of the slide system have educational videos and diagrams that you should watch at Lippert.com. They also have an app for your phone.

Thank You. Appreciate your help!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Call Winnebago help desk. They can give you some help also. We "had" a 2013 Journey 40u. Company replaced mechanism three times. Last time with the upgrade powergear system. Last time any thing with " schwintech". Not built for a large slide. Good luck.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 AM   #9

If you have not replaced a slide motor before, you are probably better off calling a professional.

You can call the factory and they will help find an approved technician in your area. Wait till Monday morning though. If you call on weekends or after hours you get some random RV tech service that doesn’t even know what a Palazzo is.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for your help! I discovered the problem. Hired an RV Mechanic, before having the slide problem, to repair our Front Cab AC. He checked the AC and it was a bad thermostat. Told me to order the part and he would come back to install it. However, during this service call he lubricated the slide and told me he repacked a screw on the upper flap as it was missing. I discovered The issue with our slide not retracting about 4 hours after he left. I called him and explained the problem and asked him if the screw could be the problem and he said no way, these slides are an on going problem. (We have never had any problems with the slides) Well after trying everyone’s suggestions and still unable to retract the slide, I removed the screw and the was able to retract the slide. [emoji35] $450.00 Service call cost me!! Happy to get the slide closed tho![emoji2]
Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you should make sure that the removed screw wasn't the slide motor retention screw. issues may be compounded later.....

Tags
slide