Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Schwintek spoils another trip?

This morning our large slide wouldn't retract. Both motors were trying (I could hear them) but only the rear of the slide moved, so I assumed either the front mechanism was jammed or the front motor was not performing properly.

I loosened the front motor retaining screw and moved the motor upward to disengage the motor coupler from the gear-drive-shaft. I then disconnected the front motor electrical plug at the controller. With one person using the SLIDE RETRACT switch to operate the rear motor, and with three men simultaneously pushing on the outside front of the slide, the slide moved-in relatively easily. So we're on the road again heading for Mesa AZ where I'm trying to book a service appointment with somebody (any suggestions).

I'm assuming the slide or the mechanism wasn't jammed or else we couldn't have pushed it in. So that leaves the motor. Has anyone experienced a motor failure where the motor makes an attempt to move the slide but is no longer powerful enough to do so?

If the problem is the motor then I have the following questions:

1. In what position does the slide need to be to replace the motor? It appears to me that you need to access the motor from the inside AND the outside to remove and replace the motor, and tighten the retaining screw. So it seems the slide needs to be about one-half extended.

2. I'm not sure whether I have 300:1 or 500:1 motors, but if I'm planning to upgrade from 300 to 500, can I simply replace both motors, or are there changes required for the rest of the drive mechanism too?

thanks, in advance, for your adviceGary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

I would make sure that when you run into this situation(one motor seems to be working, and the other not) ... make sure that they are in 'sync' first. Use the switch to go all the way 'out', then start back 'in', and see if that helps solve the problem.... otherwise...

you're right, it's probably the motor gone 'bad, or a wire broke from the circuit board right at that moment...

the slide needs to be about 1/2 way out to get to the outside set screw, and the inside motor

the large slides usually use the 500:1 motor size, small slides with 300:1

you can find these at CampingWorld, but they may be available only thru the repair department as they are not a retail stock item... prob $250 each...

you can also check your motor to see if it works...
attach it to it's motor harness...
plug in it's controller harness...
unplug the other controller harness(for the other motor)

have someone hit the switch while you hold the motor, the bottom shaft should turn...
meaning it is getting power and doing it's job

I've had one motor go 'bad', and another have a wire break off at the circuit board on the motor... either way, it's good to have an extra on hand.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for posting Gary.

Any insight on buying a motor as a backup? I see 2 different ones on amazon. How can you tell the 300 from the 500? I assume the smaller one weight 1.4 lbs (6.2) is the 300. Is amazon the best place to buy?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

I bought mine on Amazon for $194 brand new, the 500 model. It states right in the write up which model you are purchasing. I actually installed my new spare when I was troubleshooting my slide and it works just fine.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

Has that happen to us last October. Fortunately we were at the THOR Diesel Club rally in Goshen. Thors techs were on location. Helped get the big slide in (took an hour, and 4 of us on the outside pushing). Took to dealer once home. BOTH motors had to be replaced! Both motors ran at Goshen, but slide only moved a couple of inches.
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Now that we're settled in Mesa I've removed the metal plate covering the motor and discovered that I have "hi-torque" 500:1 motors in the big slide. I've also made a mobile service appointment for Wednesday to replace the motor. The service rep told me that motor failure is the most common fault, and that it is often the case that the motor "sounds" like it's trying to operate even though it's not producing sufficient torque. I could probably replace the motor myself if I could figure out how to wrestle it through the gap that is shorter than the motor. But it's worth the $75 service call fee for an expert lesson on the replacement after which I'll probably carry a spare motor. They're sending a lone technician even though I mentioned how heavy the slide is, he said the technician can handle it. Anyone actually seen this done? I'll post the results on Wednesday.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
When I replaced mine the set screw was on the outside of the slide. Pull back the rubber and should be able to see it. Then unplug the power from the front.
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

once you remove the outside set screw:

pull UP on the motor... it should come up and past the bracket... then you may have to angle the bottom toward you and bring it out.

detach the wire harness carefully, as these very thin lead wires can easily brake off their soldered connections(on the motor circuit board)...

when you have the new motor attached to the harness, and as you hold it, have someone push the slide switch to make sure the motor is getting power, and the lower gear stud is turning.

the trick on replacing the motor:
while the gear stud at the bottom of the motor is circular, it has an indentation where it has to fit into the column drive gear correctly. There are also two short pins that must fit into their corresponding holes for the motor to sit flush within the column. These pins keep the motor from turning itself...

you can also run a test to make sure it has the power to move the slide before you reinstall the outside set screw. This screw is really only there to keep the motor from potentially riding up within the column and the gear stud coming out of the column gear.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for posting Nettie! Looking forward to hearing the results. As always, thank you MisterT for the information.

A big shout out to doublebs for the motor replacement purchase information from Amazon. It arrived today....I'll carry it as a spare.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Technician arrived this afternoon and confirmed that the problem is the motor/gearbox. Unfortunately his dispatcher didn't send a replacement motor with him. He promised to return tomorrow morning with the new motor. We'll see whether that incurs another service-call-out fee.

I've now seen the guts of the motor-gear-box it's 5 or six levels of planetary gears. I'm now wondering how anyone could push the slide in without mechanically disengaging the motor from the gear-shaft as some posters said they have done.
More to follow tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

I'm surprised at the problem. I've been assured many times by dealers that slide issues have been resolved and that all new units will never have a problem.
Are the dealers not telling me the truth?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I'm surprised at the problem. I've been assured many times by dealers that slide issues have been resolved and that all new units will never have a problem.
Are the dealers not telling me the truth?
And peace is breaking out all over the world.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieRegina View Post
And peace is breaking out all over the world.
And one dealer offered good deals on beach front rv resort property in AZ.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Technician arrived early Thursday morning with replacement motor. There was some difficulty getting the four studs on the motor-case to align with the holes in the motor-support, at the same time the flat side of the motor-output-shaft aligned with the gear-shaft coupler. That was solved by holding the motor in position over the four holes and electrically running the motor in VERY small bursts until the output shaft aligned to allow insertion. Then there was a bit of difficulty re-synching the motors. The first few attempts with the controller in "normal" mode, the slide went out unevenly to about 10-inches front and 8-inches rear, then stopped. This was far enough extended to allow the motor-retainer-screw on the outside of the wall to be re-inserted but we couldn't follow the published procedure of re-synching the slide in the extended position. That was solved by fully retracting the slide with the controller in "override" mode, then waiting for the controller to time-out and return to normal. After that the slide moved evenly.

Total cost for the mobile repair including motor and taxes $582. I'm glad I had the benefit of a technician who had experience replacing these motors, but now that I've participated in a replacement, I would probably undertake it myself (provided the fault was with the motor and not the rest of the mechanism).

Now back to enjoying the beautiful weather in Mesa.