Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Scorching Summer Heat - AC's Can't Keep Up

We are camped in Lincoln, NE where the temperature at 10pm last night was 95 degrees. The temperature inside the coach (all shades were down all day long, Magne Shades on front and side windows, covers on ceiling vents and AC's set to 64) was 88 degrees! It didn't cool down no matter what. The ACs were running continuously and we had to set a fan on the kitchen counter to get some relief. I tried opening the quick cool vent as well, to no avail. This heat is particularly grueling for a hot flashing female! We are parked in an open air space with no trees overhead which doesn't help. We will be in Chinmey Rock in a few days where the temperature is expected to get even higher than it is now.

It was so hot last night that when I opened the bathroom cabinet to get a towel out, the towel felt like it had just come out of the dryer!

Given that we are going to experience several more of these high temp days, I was wondering what the rest of you do to help keep your coach cool.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #2

park in the shade and runs as many electric fans as possible

also, turn your SHORE power on the Magnum Inverter panel down to 15a, so that you might limit any tripping of breakers(the SHORE setting determines the maximum amps the inverter/charger can pull when charging the batteries)... this gives the most amperage for a/c's, electric fans, tvs, fridge, etc...

in August 14', when we first purchased our Palazzo, we were in the middle of the heat wave in the middle of Texas - tripping breakers were the most aggravating part of the daily routine since I knew that the coach was built to handle up to 100a total(50a both sides/a/c's)... but I did not figure the overage for all of the other items you need to stay cool - and don't even try to run the microwave!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
We are camped in Lincoln, NE where the temperature at 10pm last night was 95 degrees. The temperature inside the coach (all shades were down all day long, Magne Shades on front and side windows, covers on ceiling vents and AC's set to 64) was 88 degrees! It didn't cool down no matter what. The ACs were running continuously and we had to set a fan on the kitchen counter to get some relief. I tried opening the quick cool vent as well, to no avail. This heat is particularly grueling for a hot flashing female! We are parked in an open air space with no trees overhead which doesn't help. We will be in Chinmey Rock in a few days where the temperature is expected to get even higher than it is now.

It was so hot last night that when I opened the bathroom cabinet to get a towel out, the towel felt like it had just come out of the dryer!

Given that we are going to experience several more of these high temp days, I was wondering what the rest of you do to help keep your coach cool.
Head for the Colorado mountains as fast as possible. Get up high. Get shade. That was what we did in July 2014. It was well over 100F going across Kansas and Eastern Colorado. It was very nice when we got to Canon City, CO and from then on to Montrose. Perfect temps up high, hotter than heck down below.

Here's an example, Buena Vista CO, 81F for the highs and 50F for low at night, for the next week and beyond.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/co/b...:81211.1.99999
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

A few years ago we ran into a similar situation in Nashville, TN. I got a couple rolls of Reflectix and cut it the size of the windows. I slid it between the glass and the shades. It made a huge difference but it also made for a dark interior. The shades by themselves don't stop much heat.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

what might be nice on these coaches would be to have another full length awning for the driver side, where there is currently no beat for the heat!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurette View Post
A few years ago we ran into a similar situation in Nashville, TN. I got a couple rolls of Reflectix and cut it the size of the windows. I slid it between the glass and the shades. It made a huge difference but it also made for a dark interior. The shades by themselves don't stop much heat.
I do the same in the three bedroom windows of my coach. Haven't needed to cover the living area windows as yet but have the foil on hand. Makes a big difference with both summer heat and winter cold. Don't forget the skylight in the shower which is another big source for heat.

If possible park with the coach facing north to limit the sun light and associated heat from the windshield. Keep the A/C blasting all night even if you wake up in the middle of the night cold. Start the day if possible with everything in the coach as cold as possible. In other words get a running start on the heat. We also don't cook anything inside when the heat is at it's worse and even shut off the water heater. Limit showers to the park facilities if available to keep the humidity inside down plus bath water is warmer than the air which adds heat to the coach. Every little bit counts towards a heat budget.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on which way you are facing you can make sure the awning is out. It may be able to keep the sun off of one side of the rig.
Once the temps outside cool down you might be able to run the Engine AC for a little while to help cool it down.
With temps that high and no shade some MH's just can't keep up.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

Are you sure that the compressor is running. Just because the fan is blowing it doesn't mean that the compressor is also running. If you have a thermometer see what the temperature is at one of the discharge vents. Something doesn't seem right when the outside temp is 95 degrees at 10:00 pm and you can only lower the temperature by 7 degrees.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
After the sun gets low - 6pm or after, later is better - cool the rig by hosing it down with a garden hose. You don't need to do it for long, 15 minutes or so should do, concentrate on the top and west side. Getting the outside fiberglass cool goes a long way to help the inside cool off. It's very little help during the day, but does wonders when the sun is less intense, even if the outside temps are still high.
I learned that by accident washing my boat one day.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

I was in Charleston last week and it was in the high 90's. Our site had no shade and it got up to 87 in the MH at about 3 PM. Way too hot! The back A/C works better than the front, so I put a small fan back there the next day blowing towards the front and it helped somewhat. I'm going to try a good cleaning of the A/C unit's before the next trip and hope that helps.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would pull in the slideouts. Less volume to cool that way.

Do you have slide toppers?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #12

We ran into the same problem in South Carolina a few years ago. We went to the closest Camping World and got rolls of the foil insulation to cover every window and ceiling vent. We pulled all the slides in and set the AC to only 10 degrees below the outside temp. We didn't try to get the rv too cold, just cooler than the outside air, that way the AC had a chance to cycle off. I did set the temp lower ar night so we could sleep.

During the day we took long rides in the car with the dogs so they could cool off better. In the evening we found a dog friendly restaurant on the water.

During that same trip we lost our fridge. It was a real treat trying to keep ice in the cooler.
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I will be on the market for a DP in a year. We rented last year a 30' Class C in Las Vegas. 115F and we could not bring the interior below 98F. It was miserable. Than I noticed most of the big RV's have the upper sides and the roof black or very dark. I don't think it helps with the cooling? White roof will help a lot. Me thinks��
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

We are going through this now... just left Kansas City, MO and Parked in Wakeeney KS... the key is to keep that generator running and keeping that AC on 24/7... ours hasnt stopped since we left NJ. At time we run a 20" fan blowing from the base of the bed to the front of the coach.... helps tremendously. Also, stay at places that has a pool. We were gonna go through NM but now headed towards CO and into UT.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat