Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Setting up Inverter ~ Shore Breaker Amps

I have a 2018 Palazzo 33.2 with the Firefly (Vegatouch) system. On the Vegatouch inverter set up screen I cannot adjust shore breaker amps or a few other parameters like battery type. The screen shows a 255 amp size you can’t adjust, blank for battery type.

Called Firefly and they said likely the rvc module for inverter. I reset it, no go. The module does communicate because when you unplug it fully all inverter info goes away. Have tried rvc / Firefly reset as well.

Anyone else had this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A36868D-2CA8-4D62-B5BF-C0D336514979.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	192147  
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #2

probably few owners here have this new system... probably a call to Thor customer service might be best.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

I have a 2018 36.3 but no Vega Touch. Did you add that or did it ship with it? I've got the smaller mono-color Firefly controller. Tell us what Thor or your dealer says.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
I have a 2018 36.3 but no Vega Touch. Did you add that or did it ship with it? I've got the smaller mono-color Firefly controller. Tell us what Thor or your dealer says.
As lo-tek says, only recently did Thor which from our NovaTouch Vega (small monochrome) screens to your nice color VegaTouch Spectrum screen. Thor is punt you right back to Firefly Integrations...I have a contact there I will PM to you. FYI, it is possible to upgrade from the Nova to the Spectrum screen; firefly wants $625. I haven't done so, yet.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replys

It shipped with the Vegatouch, bought the coach in January, so it is pretty new, but is a 2018 model. I like the Iphone app with it, great being able to take it around the coach.

Does your Novatouch system allow you to adjust shore breaker amps?

Magnum had me hard reset and set jumper in RVC module, but no go. They indicated likely software in Firefly, since most of inverter data shows on screen and goes away when you unplug Inverter RVC module.

Thor sent me to back to Firefly

Firefly is still convinced next step is swapping Inverter RVC module, which is a trip to the dealer, and a long way from here. Maybe Thor might Fedex swap with me, will ask on Wednesday.

Glad this is not a major deal, just part of the RV fun.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #6

Hopefully they'll fedex you a new module and you can get it done yourself...

I would certainly think that the system will provide you an input for the Shore Max setting, which limits the Charger's power draw, especially when you are on less than 50a service, but also anytime you want to back down the Charger amperage in order to allow more amps from other items, like Air Conditioners during the hot summer.

We use it all the time to help 'manage' the electrical system. If I'm only on 120v 15a residential outlet service, then I either turn the charger off, or change the Shore Max button setting to 5a.
If I'm only on 30a service, then I turn it down to 10a, at least for the time it's in BULK charging mode, and I need amps for other things.

etc etc
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #7

Fireplay Nova Touch vs Vegatouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDALHB View Post
As lo-tek says, only recently did Thor which from our NovaTouch Vega (small monochrome) screens to your nice color VegaTouch Spectrum screen. Thor is punt you right back to Firefly Integrations...I have a contact there I will PM to you. FYI, it is possible to upgrade from the Nova to the Spectrum screen; firefly wants $625. I haven't done so, yet.
I too just purchased a 2018 33.3 three weeks ago. I have the monocolor pad. I've been traveling for work and haven't mastered the Nova Touch. Is there a benefit to the Spectrum pad over the other in terms of functionality. This is my third diesel pusher and I downsized from a much bigger unit that I had for 10+ years. My frustration is that I can't figure out where I can see how many amps are incoming from shore power, i.e., 30 or 50, etc. Where is that visible on the NovaTouch pad? Any views or insight into this? I had a series of wall pads where I could easily see status of all systems and batteries.
TroikaDals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Hopefully they'll fedex you a new module and you can get it done yourself...

I would certainly think that the system will provide you an input for the Shore Max setting, which limits the Charger's power draw, especially when you are on less than 50a service, but also anytime you want to back down the Charger amperage in order to allow more amps from other items, like Air Conditioners during the hot summer.

We use it all the time to help 'manage' the electrical system. If I'm only on 120v 15a residential outlet service, then I either turn the charger off, or change the Shore Max button setting to 5a.
If I'm only on 30a service, then I turn it down to 10a, at least for the time it's in BULK charging mode, and I need amps for other things.

etc etc
I guess this is what I'm asking about too. What precisely do you use to manage the electrical system to indicate that theres less than 50 amps coming in? SOme setting on the Nova Pad?
TroikaDals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very strange that two built that close have different display pads. I am not familiar with the Nova, but there is not any AC amp input screen from the Vega, just voltage and frequency.

That definitive type of AC amp data would really need to come from the ATS since only part of AC current goes through Inverter/charger. I do not think the Palazzo has a smart network transfer switch capable of that data.

RV Can network protocol is very flexible, but adding input amp capability would require a new user interface GUI or update. Amazon does sell a nice mountable display with current transformers that could do what you want, just not visible on your remote panel or remote phone app.

If you are interested, I can send you some Vegatouch screen shots and from phone app. I imagine the functionality is very similar between the two. With the same coach inputs I feel the main difference could be color.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #10

'amp input', called 'SHORE MAX' setting, is a button on the Magnum Inverter ME-RC remote panel, at least on all previous Palazzo versions, before the newer 'touch screen' switch systems. It provides a way to 'limit' the amount of amperage the Charger uses, not necessarily just an input for incoming amps, though many may view it as that.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Mister T. I have the ME-RC as well as the Vegatouch and can set shore max via the ME RC just not Vegatouch. When I change the setting on ME-RC it does not show change on Vegatouch.

Thor is sending new Magnum RVC module, which was Firefly's recommendation. I think it is software, but we will see.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #12

cool!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
Thanks Mister T. I have the ME-RC as well as the Vegatouch and can set shore max via the ME RC just not Vegatouch. When I change the setting on ME-RC it does not show change on Vegatouch.

Thor is sending new Magnum RVC module, which was Firefly's recommendation. I think it is software, but we will see.
How did you add the ME-RC? I was set to buy one, not knowing my Palazzo came with the Firefly system. My dealer said I did not need it.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a phone splitter, on the same remote plug as RVC . Do not use the supplied comm cable with ME RC, you only need one crossover cable.

Not sure you need one either if your firefly is working properly , although it does show some extra data and allow equalization. I am using it for troubleshooting and adding the shunt kit to monitor dc amps.

Tags
breaker, inverter