Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

Slide Room Rollers

Has anyone had issues with the slide room rollers underneath the slide not rolling correctly. I had a problem getting the motors on big room slide to stay in synch- one side lagged behind the other, so I called Lippert. They suggested an obstruction may be causing the lag and advised to check to make sure the rollers underneath were clear of debris and rolling. It appears none of the rollers that can be viewed (tight space) were rolling- the metal tracks attached to the bottom of the slide were simply dragging over the tops of the rollers.
Before I call Thor for their advice- I wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with a similar issue. It appears to be a major job to replace the rollers.
Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieBaxter View Post
Has anyone had issues with the slide room rollers underneath the slide not rolling correctly. I had a problem getting the motors on big room slide to stay in synch- one side lagged behind the other, so I called Lippert. They suggested an obstruction may be causing the lag and advised to check to make sure the rollers underneath were clear of debris and rolling. It appears none of the rollers that can be viewed (tight space) were rolling- the metal tracks attached to the bottom of the slide were simply dragging over the tops of the rollers.
Before I call Thor for their advice- I wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with a similar issue. It appears to be a major job to replace the rollers.
Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
If your are like mine (PowerGear) they are plastic. Try spraying the rack and pinion, and the rollers with CRC power lube with PTFE. This will dry and leave a Teflon film behind. You may be a ble to remove the panels under the rams to gain better access.

Closely examine the end plate mounting bolts. Make certain you don't see light between the ram end and the slide mounting plate. I have had the bolts shear causing the ram not to pull correctly on the slide.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #3

I would spray a lube with PTFE on the plates, then run the slide in and out to see what the pattern on the plates looks like. My slide was rebuilt after multiple failures and the tech from Thor found that a couple of the plates were in fact too short. Roller was having to overcome the drop off the end of the plate. The spray will reveal if the travel pattern is uniform. After this I would call Thor's help line to discuss your findings.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. This unit uses the Schwintech slide system, so there are no rams. I will check to see if there is a way to access the rollers from underneath however.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. This unit uses the Schwintech slide system, so there are no rams. I will check to see if there is a way to access the rollers from underneath however.
When at Winnebago in Forest City, IA in '16 I met many RVers with Schwintech and Lippert slide issues.

Here is a good place to start looking for help: https://www.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out.

This site is not the easiest to follow but a call to Lippert customer support may help. They now own Schwintech. Hope you get your problem fixed soon.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Thanks Jerichorick- it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Schwintech extend/retract mechanism as much as the floor rollers. The slide extends and retracts, but one side always lags. I called Lippert and they were very helpful in narrowing down the issue. The rollers are difficult to see, but they are not rolling as the slide moves across them. For the time being I'm applying a silicone lubricant to the metal plates on the bottom of the slide which rest on the rollers in order to reduce friction during opening/closing cycles. I was curious if anyone had experience with a similar issue and what they did to resolve. Again- thanks for your advice. I'm a new RVer and have found this Palazzo discussion site very informative.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Jerichorick- it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Schwintech extend/retract mechanism as much as the floor rollers. The slide extends and retracts, but one side always lags. I called Lippert and they were very helpful in narrowing down the issue. The rollers are difficult to see, but they are not rolling as the slide moves across them. For the time being I'm applying a silicone lubricant to the metal plates on the bottom of the slide which rest on the rollers in order to reduce friction during opening/closing cycles. I was curious if anyone had experience with a similar issue and what they did to resolve. Again- thanks for your advice. I'm a new RVer and have found this Palazzo discussion site very informative.
Your welcome, Mike. All the RV builders use the same parts manufactures. We all have common problems. Can you see the rollers through the gasket from the outside? Use a straw to extend the spray to the roller. The lagging situation is not good for your coach.

If the roller is attached to the slide, you may be able to lift the slide some with it part way in. Use a flat pry bar under the wall edge of the slide floor and shims to hold it up. The top may hit the ceiling but you coll gain access to the roller to service it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #8

HOBIE, I'm not sure you even have any issue, but you may be 'assuming' that both ends of the slide are always going to come in/out at the same speed, but that's probably not necessarily the case.
If your slide is making it all the way out, and all the in, then it's working just fine. You may be a little annoyed at any differences in the speeds, or 'lagging' I presume, but the motors are designed to run at a specific torque, but not all motors are going to automatically run at the same exact speed, even though they are built with the 'same' specs.
The beauty of this system is that the motors will 'sync' when both reach the end of the slide run, IF you continue to hold down the switch for a few seconds afterwards. You may hear a 'whinning' or 'spinning' sound from one of them as it 'syncs' to the other.

In over 80,000 miles and 3 years and THOUSANDS of runs on our main slide, this is HOW it is supposed to work. Sometimes, yes, one end seems to 'lag' behind the other, or vice versa, but let it do it's job and it will get it done.

now, as for the 'rollers' you are concerned about. I'm not sure they are actually 'rollers' as you might assume. The slide rests on these as a 'platform' to maintain the height of the slide room above the floor of the coach. The design is to allow the slide to 'easily' move across these surfaces, but whether they 'roll' or not is probably not important, or maybe not even it's design - it's a type of 'slick' surface that provides the ability for the weight of the room to move across it.
Spraying the surface of the metal plate below the slide may help, but I highly doubt that this, in itself, is any problem.

if your slide(s) are working, then you are good to go. Travel, enjoy! : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

Slides syncing

I never had a roller issue but had the main slide on my 33.1 out of sync- one side moved at a different time than the other side. After moving slide in/out several times to sync it still did not sync. Changed out the controller and and the slide was in sync. I guess this is another solution
Brian K
briank92587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #10

Hey Mister T and BrianK- thanks much for your replies! It does help explain what I've observed when extend/retracting. The central issue that got me looking into the problem was the slide would frequently stall when extending, at about 4-6 inches out. Rarely stalls on retracting. Upon stalling, I'll retract the slide about 1-2 inches, then extend again and it always goes out, again with the rear slightly behind the front. It does correct the lag at the end of the extension. I called Lippert who suggested an obstruction in the rollers- which got me to this point of noticing the rollers do not "roll" when the slide moves across them. I have the unit at a dealer now to confirm what I'm seeing and determine what should be done, if anything. If the slide wasn't stalling I probably wouldn't even be looking at the rollers, so I may have a completely unrelated problem with the motors/controller- but the controller doesn't flash any error codes. So I guess we'll see what the dealer service techs come up with. I'll let ya'll know.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #11

slide rollers

Your top and bottom rails may need to be shimmed.
Steverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #12

Rollers

Hobiebaxter
Should have included in my first post about slide not syncing properly- my controller was not flashing any codes or problems but as soon as it was replaced issue went away.
Brian K
briank92587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #13

Resolution outcome- the slide’s gearing and rollers needed cleaning and lubrication. THe slide now extends and retracts without stalling. According to the tech- the slides’ floor rollers are there mainly to support the weight and don’t need to roll. Thanks to all who commented.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #14

thanks for the update, Mike and Mary : )

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide