Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSkeen View Post
Funny you should mention AutoSocks, myarmar!

I was re-reading the CODOT Adequate Vehicle Traction and Chain Law and noticed the AutoSock again. Visting the link I found the AL71 fits our tires.

Attachment 114776

I called the McGee Company in Denver as they were listed as a dealer. Talked to a very helpful gentleman by the name of Mitch. He verified that the AL71 fits the 255/70-22.5 tires on the Palazzo. He then boxed up a pair and got them shipped out FedEx Ground overnight. I received them this morning at 10:30am. They cost more than the SCC chains I previously purchased, but only weigh about 5 pounds for the pair!!

I will be trying them out tomorrow to get from Tiger Run RV Resort through the EJMT tunnel on I-70 eastbound. I will let everyone know how they work.

Thanks again to everyone (especially myarmar & Don) who responded with some great advice. I now have a couple of options.

Cool, I didn't know such a thing existed. Let us know how you make out. Personally, I am allergic to snow but ya never know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on the allergic to snow. Last time I was up here was 20 years ago.

But I at least know how to keep the RV warm now (1 degree here this morning). Learned a few things about keeping the water closet area, hoses, tanks from freezing as well.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #17

Bill, hope the roads will be clear for you in the morning. Be careful and hope you make it to your Christmas Eve destination safely. 1 degree, oooh. That hurts thinking about it.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hurry, back to Texas!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It was 80 here today!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thor Palazzo field tested operating temperature range 110 degrees

From Texas 110 degree summer heat to Colorado Rockies freezing winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1450940376340.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	114820
Old 12-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #21

We live in Washington State and tire chains are required to be available for any vehicle over 10K that travels over any pass and may be required for non pass area in a snow event. I purchased specialty low clearance bus cable chains that won't damage the Palazzo. It is required to have tire chains and a spare set at all times from November 1 to April 1. In truth it is rarely enforced for noncommercial vehicles when the conditions are good even though the statue specifically does cover RVs over 10K. That said I have a commercial license and can't afford the big ticket and having my rig impounded on the side of the road. I also had another modification done to the Palazzo when we purchased it. I had Freightliner install an Eaton "NoSpin" differential rather than the standard "open" differential. A NoSpin differential locks both axle shafts together except on turns. This means we are much less likely to get stuck on grass, mud, sand and snow. The truck in snow conditions is to proceed very slowly and never travel down any roadway that is too steep. My wife and I both work full time and have twins and a 10 year old. We generally can't just "stay another day" because we want to. We try account for the weather in our trips but that isn't always perfect. We camp all four seasons so in some cases encountering ice and or snow may be unavoidable. We try to choose destinations that aren't too cold but traveling over a pass is usually unavoidable.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AutoSocks worked great!!

It was -2 on Thursday morning, the wind had been howling most of the night. Doing anything on the pre-travel checklist ended up being a laborious task due to the cold. Frozen sewer line, ice buildup on slide and its awning, deicing the windshield, etc. But the AutoSock rocked.

I used the leveling jacks to raise the rear tires off the ground just enough to be able to get the AutoSocks on - in less than 5 minutes total. Same for taking them off at the chain station.

Not once did the motorhome tires slip on several inches of snow, ice and/or slush.

Only two minor negatives. First, they were filthy when I took them off. So I threw them in the back of the truck to be cleaned later. Glad I did not need them again this trip.

Second, the Adequate Tire Law was in effect from MM 205 through 228. After getting through the EJMT tunnel at MM 213, the roads cleared up, but I did not think I was allowed to take them off given the requirement of MM-228. So, they did show some signs of wear and a couple of minor rips from driving on mostly dry pavement. Exactly what the manufacturer says not to do.

Back home in Austin now. Someone asked, given everything, would you do it again? Of course my answer was "Hell Ya!!"

Cheers and Merry Christmas to All!!
Old 12-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSkeen View Post
It was -2 on Thursday morning, the wind had been howling most of the night. Doing anything on the pre-travel checklist ended up being a laborious task due to the cold. Frozen sewer line, ice buildup on slide and its awning, deicing the windshield, etc. But the AutoSock rocked.

I used the leveling jacks to raise the rear tires off the ground just enough to be able to get the AutoSocks on - in less than 5 minutes total. Same for taking them off at the chain station.

Not once did the motorhome tires slip on several inches of snow, ice and/or slush.

Only two minor negatives. First, they were filthy when I took them off. So I threw them in the back of the truck to be cleaned later. Glad I did not need them again this trip.

Second, the Adequate Tire Law was in effect from MM 205 through 228. After getting through the EJMT tunnel at MM 213, the roads cleared up, but I did not think I was allowed to take them off given the requirement of MM-228. So, they did show some signs of wear and a couple of minor rips from driving on mostly dry pavement. Exactly what the manufacturer says not to do.

Back home in Austin now. Someone asked, given everything, would you do it again? Of course my answer was "Hell Ya!!"

Cheers and Merry Christmas to All!!
Merry Christmas Bill, Thanks for the update. Glad to hear your trip went OK. Still doesn't entice me to seek out snow.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Thanks, Bill

We may face really bad conditions early Sunday through Monday getting from Phoenix back to Oklahoma. Wish I had some snow socks as an option.

Would you consider making a thread for cold weather tips/tricks? I think we got lucky on one overnight stop in Gallup on the way out--8F but with no wind. We did not freeze pipes, but I was worried.

Gary
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary,

I jumped on the AutoSock.us website and they listed the following locations along I-70 that may have them. You are looking for a pair AL71.

I-70 mountain locations
  • Mountain Tool and Feed, Central City exit, Idaho Springs
  • Shop N Save, 2293 N. Frontage Rd, West Vail Exit, Vail
  • Conoco, Exit 195, Copper Mountain
  • NAPA Auto Parts, 845 N Summit Blvd, Exit 203, Frisco
  • Ski Country Shell, 1125 N Summit Blvd, Exit 204, Frisco
  • Downieville Fuel Stop, Exit 234, Dumont
Great idea! I like the idea of a cold weather tips/tricks thread. I'll try to put together a list of mine and get it started.

Good luck and God spede!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #26

How's the weather and roads looking for next week? Coming to ColoradoSprings via Kansas mid week...

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #27

Maybe you can look into the rotogrip option ??????
Install them once and forget about it. Don't even need to get out in cold to put them on or off. They seem to work great according to some truckers who have them

High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote