Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Question Sofa Solutions

DW is not very satisfied with the blow up mattress for the sofa. Using the blowup mattress basically cuts the coach in two. Folding up the blowup we could not get it to store in the sofa. Has anyone come up with something better? Is it possible to get a foam mattress that will fold up with the sofa?

BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probably have to let all the air out of the blowup to store it.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by triker56 View Post
probably have to let all the air out of the blowup to store it.
😛😛😛
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

letting the air out would work best. I store our air mattress under our dinette seat, not very convenient but it will have to do. I guess you can buy a padding and have a tight slip on cover to keep it in place... but it may have to be custom.

I hate our sofa, not the most comfortable when sitting... I like to slouch and the seats wont let me do that. I end up sitting on the capt'n chair mostly. I hate that our couch is not flat when unfolded so only the flat side is useful for sleeping, so the air mattress is useless since it is not flat... is there an adjustment for this to lay flat?
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #5

I want to take a look at one of these to see how it would work and how comfortable it is. The picture doesn't really show much.
HAGALUND Sofa bed - Blekinge white - IKEA
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Probably have to let all the air out of the blowup to store it.
Agree X2
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I haven't even unpacked our air mattress yet - haven't had a need to. But I have used others in the past. Most of the pumps have an air inlet and an air outlet. You connect the outlet side to blow it up, and you can connect the inlet side to suck the air out. It's always worked for me and I've been able to fold them up and put them back in the box they came in.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you get to the Elkhart area, I recommend a visit to Lembrecht (sp) RV furniture. They are not far from the Thor factory. We replaced the sofa in out Damon Challenger (hated that thing from day 1) with two reclining love seats. We opted for the power reclining feature, but they have the standard reclining movement, as well. They matched the driver's and passenger seat colors exactly, and with genuine leather - although they offer faux leather as well. They furnish sofas and chairs for Newmar, as well as some other manufacturers in the Elkhart area. They have many options available to fit just about any floor plan and will construct to order. We are very satisfied with appearance and performance of out new recliners and would highly recommend this company.

Bronk
Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Let the air up and food the unit with mattress in it. That's how ours came.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
DW is not very satisfied with the blow up mattress for the sofa. Using the blowup mattress basically cuts the coach in two. Folding up the blowup we could not get it to store in the sofa. Has anyone come up with something better? Is it possible to get a foam mattress that will fold up with the sofa?
We have used our air mattress many times and it inflates/deflates quickly (air pump is 3 position, off in the center and inflate in one direction and deflate in the other) and it folds back into its bag with little difficulty. Would I like to have a bed that does not involve fooling with an air mattress? Yes! For now it works OK.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
We have used our air mattress many times and it inflates/deflates quickly (air pump is 3 position, off in the center and inflate in one direction and deflate in the other) and it folds back into its bag with little difficulty. Would I like to have a bed that does not involve fooling with an air mattress? Yes! For now it works OK.

X2 on this post, As far as sitting comfort, I bought a small ottoman and I can slouch all I want and not end up on the floor.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #12

We have 2 folding Ottomans that we use. We use 1 folded up in front of the front passenger seat to put feet on (helps to elevate the feet on long trips). The other one we unfold and use in front of the couch while watching TV. When the ottoman is folded up it fits nicely under the dinette area.
You can get a set at Shopping Online at Home is Easy with QVC — Official Site item # V32390 Microsuede set of 2 15" folding storage ottomans $29.96
For the sofa mattress we have a Oreck canister vacume to blow up air mattress and suck air out when we want to store it. We haven't used the sofa bed pulled out, seems like our guests like just sleeping on the sofa. One of our guests said it was the most comfortable couch he had ever slept on.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #13

There are actually lots of options out there including: gel, memory foam, latex, and polyurethane foam. The sizes tend to be a little different for RV's though. The most common size is 48x72 for RV's and the height is usually around 4 to 4.5" thick. Make sure to measure before you start shopping. Ideally, you'll want the mattress sitting in between the bars so you don't have any issues closing it. So to measure, take the inside measurement from bar to bar, and round down to the nearest inch.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
We have used our sofa (air mattress) many times and we even slept on it for 5 nights when we had an older couple with us that needed a regular mattress. We found it to be very comfortable. It inflated and deflated (completely) using the attached pump (two position pump inflate/deflate) without any problems getting it back into its storage bag. My DW even did a grandkids camping weekend while I was in Michigan playing golf and she had no problems with the air mattress. My DW is not a big strong woman...just the opposite and not very mechanically inclined but I love her the way she is!