Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
It's more than just the Palazzo having slide issues. The full wall slide on our Hurricane has been a nightmare. We're dumping ours and trading it in.
I believe the same slide mechanism is used in the Tiffin.
The Schwintek In-Wall slide is also used in: Winnebago's, Tiffin, Jayco, Forrest River, DRV Suites (5'r), Heartland, many trailers, Holiday Ramblers, etc.

Our dealer told us about 85% of their inventory had the Schwintek In-Wall slide.

Lippert Component Industries (parent company: Drew Industries NYSE: DW) has been around since 1956. Third generation, Jason Lippert, is now CEO of Drew Industries.

You can google Lippert Components and read the history of the company. They have acquired many companies.

The slide out mechanism is nothing unique to just Thor products.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
I believe the same slide mechanism is used in the Tiffin.
The Schwintek In-Wall slide is also used in: Winnebago's, Tiffin, Jayco, Forrest River, DRV Suites (5'r), Heartland, many trailers, Holiday Ramblers, etc.

Our dealer told us about 85% of their inventory had the Schwintek In-Wall slide.

Lippert Component Industries (parent company: Drew Industries NYSE: DW) has been around since 1956. Third generation, Jason Lippert, is now CEO of Drew Industries.

You can google Lippert Components and read the history of the company. They have acquired many companies.

The slide out mechanism is nothing unique to just Thor products.
Good information! As I have said several times the in-wall slide systems works good on smaller/lighter slides but I think that you get to a tipping point in terms of size and weight when it exceeds the design capabilities of the mechanism. If the RV designers have done anything wrong they tried to use it everywhere because it is a simple installation. No heavy shafts, hydraulics, etc. You will see a combination of in-wall and hydraulic units on some more expensive RV’s.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Good information! As I have said several times the in-wall slide systems works good on smaller/lighter slides but I think that you get to a tipping point in terms of size and weight when it exceeds the design capabilities of the mechanism. If the RV designers have done anything wrong they tried to use it everywhere because it is a simple installation. No heavy shafts, hydraulics, etc. You will see a combination of in-wall and hydraulic units on some more expensive RV’s.
Our Tiffin uses the Schwintek system on the small bedroom slide. The large slide is a hydraulic system. No problems with either of them.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
So far I have not had any problems with my slides either, but I removed quite a bit of trash from underneath the big slide. Had it been left there, perhaps a problem could have occurred. Will you please explain better what you mean by gaskets next to the slides? Thanks,
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #19

Good morning, We just took delivery of or new 36.1. we went thru all the workings of the motorhome and looked everything over. After leaving the dealership we had a 1/2 hr ride home and stopped to fill her all the way up so I could put her on the scale before loading her up. While filling her up I noticed the large slide was about 1.5 inches out at both ends. I tried to pull it in but it didn't come in any further.
When I got home we backed her in, put down the jacks and put the slides out. My thought was to run the large slide all the way out and see if it would retract tight against the motorhome. Now the problem, it starts it's way in about 1/2 inch and stops. I can get it to go back out that same 1/2 inch, but stops working when I try to bring it back in again. I let it sit for about 1 hr. came back out and tried it again with the same results. I will call the dealer later today when they open. I got up early couldn't sleep. Is this the problem every ones having?
Garyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #20

Slide out problem

That is pretty much how the problems start out. This is only the beginning. Did you notice the slide out not going all the way in during your PDI?
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
That is pretty much how the problems start out. This is only the beginning. Did you notice the slide out not going all the way in during your PDI?
Gary,

Are there any signs or wear on the Schwintek tracks? Look at the "teeth" on both sides of the slide out, on the top and bottom. If there are any signs of wear at all, there could be an alignment problem. The large roller wheels under the slide might need adjustment to carry the weight of the slide out. Also, when you run the slide out all the way in, make sure you hold the button a few more seconds to make sure the motors are in sync. Also make sure you do this when you run the slide all the way out. Also, make sure you are on shore power or generator power when operating the slide out.

IF you did all this correctly and still have problems. I will pray that your dealer is ready to fix this. Even yet, you might have to send it back to the factory.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #22

No I did not notice the slide being away from the coach.

2014 Palazzo 36.1
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #23

I did not notice any wear on the track, the dealer had the slides in and out while I was there and there was no issue with the slides at that time. I was told to level the coach be fore the slides go out and it was repeated a few times like it was a warning. I was very care full to follow there directions.

2014 Palazzo
2013 Jeep cherokee
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #24

Just keep us updated on what happens.
Road Master base plates
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #25

Interesting.

Spoke with my MFG rep last week, said problem was a thing of the past.
I just copied and sent email to rep to get his take.

count down 3 weeks before my delivery date 36.1. Not looking that good.
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #26

My MFG rep just called me back. Said that he was unaware of a 1.5 inch problem. He was going to investigate and let me know.
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtgam View Post
Interesting.

Spoke with my MFG rep last week, said problem was a thing of the past.
I just copied and sent email to rep to get his take.

count down 3 weeks before my delivery date 36.1. Not looking that good.
"A thing of the past"???? I guess he must have a secret fix that the rest of us don't know about. Please tell your "MFG rep" I want to talk to him.........
Our 33.2 is due to go back to the factory for slide repairs. I hope the weather isn't too bad during our coach's "stay". I am sure the slide won't like the snow!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtgam View Post
My MFG rep just called me back. Said that he was unaware of a 1.5 inch problem. He was going to investigate and let me know.
"Unaware"???? Was he on a coffee break on Mars???? Maybe he shouldn't be a "MFG rep" if he isn't informed a little better.
I am sorry to be negative, but don't lie just to make a sale. If you are confident in the product you sell there should be no need to lie.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, thor