Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #57

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahargoue View Post
I am thinking about purchasing a new Palazzo 33.1. All this discussion about the large slide out mechanism issues makes me want to pose a simple question: Knowing then what you know now, would you have purchased your Palazzo?

I've been RVing since 1984 in various towables and driveables. Its been my experience that all rigs regardless of manufacturer have issues. Some are more serious than others. My current Holiday Rambler pusher has had its fair share of problems, including the cable operated living room slide. I've gotten good at repairing that issue since dealers are afraid to work on it. I just don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, especially since the Palazzo slide out issues sound like they are not easy to fix. So once again, based on your ownership experience, would you have bought your Palazzo or looked at buying a different brand?
I think most of new about the large slide problem before they bought and thought we would take a chance of getting a good unit and if not they will fix it for us . other then this problem that will eventually get resolved " and I think it is resolved on later units " the palazzo is a great coach
mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #58

Quote:
I am thinking about purchasing a new Palazzo 33.1. All this discussion about the large slide out mechanism issues makes me want to pose a simple question: Knowing then what you know now, would you have purchased your Palazzo?

I've been RVing since 1984 in various towables and driveables. Its been my experience that all rigs regardless of manufacturer have issues. Some are more serious than others. My current Holiday Rambler pusher has had its fair share of problems, including the cable operated living room slide. I've gotten good at repairing that issue since dealers are afraid to work on it. I just don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, especially since the Palazzo slide out issues sound like they are not easy to fix. So once again, based on your ownership experience, would you have bought your Palazzo or looked at buying a different brand?
I don't even know why I waste my time on replying to these anymore. I feel that those who post the question on here about should I or shouldn't I have already made up their minds. If you've done your research, you've read about my issues.
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #59

Quote:
I am thinking about purchasing a new Palazzo 33.1. All this discussion about the large slide out mechanism issues makes me want to pose a simple question: Knowing then what you know now, would you have purchased your Palazzo? I've been RVing since 1984 in various towables and driveables. Its been my experience that all rigs regardless of manufacturer have issues. Some are more serious than others. My current Holiday Rambler pusher has had its fair share of problems, including the cable operated living room slide. I've gotten good at repairing that issue since dealers are afraid to work on it. I just don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, especially since the Palazzo slide out issues sound like they are not easy to fix. So once again, based on your ownership experience, would you have bought your Palazzo or looked at buying a different brand?
I knew all the issues and still bought the Palazzo. If you do the math you will find the Palazzos with the issues are a minority. The exception are the first 2013 before the fix. Most of the ones with issues have been fixed. Thor seems to stand behind the ones that are having problems. We almost backed out but are very glad we did not.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

If you read through the forum you will see the question has been addressed before and in several ways.

Thor stopped making the 33.1 so I doubt there are really any new ones. Are you sure of the model number? The current model closest to the 33.1 is the 35.1.

The large slide issues have been mostly with the 33.2 and 33.3. They have a really large slide with a lot of weight on it.

I am satisfied with my 33.1 and would do it again with even more care about PDI, learning the systems, and level with full electrical power before operating slides.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Thank you Gary. I am looking forward to your next post.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
To Fill you in we picked up our 2014 36.1 from our service center that Thor allowed us to use instead of the dealer we bought it from. I was told that ALL the parts were the same as what Thor had on it originally. Our service center told me that they have done 4 slide replacement this year and we were the only Palazzo. THEY STRESSED level the coach first before you put the slides out. They thought that the weight of the slide are to much for the slides.
We took it out to Pismo beach this week end and dry camped for 3 days for our first oting ( Great weather) and tried to find all that still needs fixing. The slide went out and back in uneventful, you could say as planed, or better then the first time. All in all we had a very nice weekend and just loved our way around the coach, every thing worked out well.
Need to fix a few drawers that wouldn't stay closed around turns, not getting a lot of heat out of the vents, but the 1/2 baths sink gets to hot to touch so I have a place to start to look to find the problem.
To this point we are very happy with the coach and glad that we got it. There are many nice option, and a great design.
I can't end this with out saying Thor stood up and helped us though this problem. It is what they should have done, but not all company's do what they should do. Thank you Thor.

Gary & Marcie
2014 Palazzo
2013 Jeep Cherokee
Garyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #62

Good News!

If you look through the Palazzo threads there is one that may give you some help regarding the heat distribution. Look through the listing of Palazzo threads, it is entitled, "Poor Heat Distribution."

Our dealer installed a second latch to the drawers to keep them closed during travel. We've had this problem with previous coaches as well. It's an easy fix.

Glad to hear you had a good weekend. Pismo Beach is beautiful - I have very fond memories camping there years ago.

Your positive attitude helps a good deal !
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the useful update, Gary and Marcie. I am happy that everything went well and that the slide issue is hopefully resolved for good. From the many reports now, it seems increasingly clear that a level coach before operating the slides, since day one, is probably the crucial factor. I think the Palazzo is among the best values in the industry, and it is nice to know that Thor is responsive to our needs.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Good News!

If you look through the Palazzo threads there is one that may give you some help regarding the heat distribution. Look through the listing of Palazzo threads, it is entitled, "Poor Heat Distribution."

Our dealer installed a second latch to the drawers to keep them closed during travel. We've had this problem with previous coaches as well. It's an easy fix.

Glad to hear you had a good weekend. Pismo Beach is beautiful - I have very fond memories camping there years ago.

X2 and Happy RVing!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
My mistake regarding the model. The ones I am considering are 2014 33.2 models with full body slides.

From what I have read the Palazzo doesn't seem to have any more problems than other brands, other than the full body slide issue. The rest of the issues seem to be the typical stuff that plagues nearly all other brands.

So from what I'm gathering, Thor is standing by the slide issue trying to resolve it, the problem in minimized by leveling the coach first and the 2013 models are more problematic than the 2014 models.

I appreciate the input. I'm narrowing down my choices to either a Palazzo or an Alegro Red. Both seen like nice rigs at a good price point.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #66

Looks like 2 nice units to compare with... floor plan and price is why we chose the Palazzo. Good luck with the search and keep us posted on your purchase...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Please, be sure to drive both units. I drove the Alegro and the Palazzo, one after the other. At least to me, the Palazzo gives a much more satisfying driving experience, and gives the impression of a more powerful, bigger rig than it is. I did not care one bit for how the Alegro was behaving in comparison. That is just me. Be sure you drive both in sequence.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee.
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #68

Quote:
Good News!

Hey LT could you expand on the "second latch" that the dealer installed....maybe a picture?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #69

The second latch I'm referring to is simply a drawer latch that is used on many coaches. I can't get a picture right now. They just installed another latch and with the double latch it holds the drawer adequately so they don't fly open during travel. Clear as mud??
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #70

Quote:
The second latch I'm referring to is simply a drawer latch that is used on many coaches. I can't get a picture right now. They just installed another latch and with the double latch it holds the drawer adequately so they don't fly open during travel. Clear as mud??
Is it like a baby latch...I've been using them on my large drawer and keep forgetting they are there and end up breaking the latch part....

Tags
slide, thor