Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #43

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Our Tiffin uses the Schwintek system on the small bedroom slide. The large slide is a hydraulic system. No problems with either of them.
Exactly...!

Schwintek screwed up by not beefing up its components when Thor wanted to use them on a large slide.

Thor screwed up by putting Schwintek on a slide that large and heavy in the first place!

Tuscany is another example of the OP's Tiffin. Schwintek on the small lighter bedroom...and hydraulic on the large, heavy full wall. Works fine...or at least a whole lot better than Palazzo.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyj View Post
Up Date
I have been on the phone all day with the service department of the dealer with no luck. I shouldn't say that I did find out that the back slide would work , but the front slide is locked and that's were we are now. I was looking for more help so I called the factory and got a lot of good help to get to were we are now. I have a locale RV repair shop sending someone to tomorrow to get it in and I will drive it to there shop so they can make the repairs that are needed. Thor said they will take care of the bill. Got to run will keep updating.

Gary & Marcie
2013 Jeep
2014 Palazzo
Check....yup....yup....Been through it all! You're just lucky you are at home. We were in Medford OR seeing some close friends...we live in Tulsa OK! Abel's health was/is very bad and we wanted to see them while he can still get around. We had a shorter gas coach that I didn't want to drive...so we "upgraded" to a diesel pusher to get away from the problem. When we got out there we had the 36.1 for a total of 30-35 days when out slide broke...while out. Very embarrassing to have a brand new diesel pusher and it broke. We got a local RV mobile service and Thor on the phone and were able to get the motors unhooked and push the slide in. Got it blocked for the trip and had a local dealer look at it. Thor and the dealer figured out what needed to be done and parts to do it...would be 3-4 weeks at least to get the parts!
So we stayed in there for a week (we were going to be there 2-3 weeks) and spent another week going home.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #45

Update on our slide fix

I posted about our slide issue after it broke as we were ready to pick up from Tom Johnson Concord after waiting for two months for the fix. We are now on two weeks from them breaking it. I was told last week that parts are in. Today, however, it seems other parts are needed as the spinning motor spread the Schwinteck tracks. TJ says Thor only wanted to replace motor. Original problem was mid October. Now late January and I am still without my coach. Three plus months. And this is the second long time in the shop.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
I posted about our slide issue after it broke as we were ready to pick up from Tom Johnson Concord after waiting for two months for the fix. We are now on two weeks from them breaking it. I was told last week that parts are in. Today, however, it seems other parts are needed as the spinning motor spread the Schwinteck tracks. TJ says Thor only wanted to replace motor. Original problem was mid October. Now late January and I am still without my coach. Three plus months. And this is the second long time in the shop.
See my post in the "More Palazzo slide issues!" thread from 9-23-2013. My experience with Tom Johnson Concord repairs has been less than stellar. My slide problems weren't completely fixed until I met a factory rep at Tom Johnson with my coach and he corrected/completed the repairs properly. If you'd like the gory details, send me a PM and we can chat.

Norb

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #47

UP Date
After talking to the factory yesterday I had my locale RV repair shop come out to the house and help get the slide in so we can bring it in for repair of the slides. Thor was most helpful and said to get the slide in so it could be moved and they would reimburse us the cost. It looks like a whole slide mechanism with new motors must be replaced. I know [Moderator Edit] happens but it's not fun when it's on your new coach. I will drive it in on Monday and leave it.
As I was writing this I got a call from Thor welcoming me to the Thro family. As I wasn't in a good welcoming mood, They ended up connecting me with the service department. As I didn't want to bring it back to the dealer for repair I again asked to have the work done at my local RV repair shop, and again it looks as if that will be OK to do. Time will take us to the next chapter, will update

Marcie & Gary
2013 Jeep
2014 Palazzo
Garyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #48

Update
I was on the phone with the factory again this AM and was given permission to take our motorhome to a locale RV repair shop that isn't a Thor Authorized service center. They are real close to me and have done lots of repairs on other motorhomes we have owned. Although it's a real bummer to have a NEW motorhome in for repair only one day after picking it up from the dealer, at least the repairs are being done by someone I trust. It was a nice move by Thor to accommodate our wishes to work with someone we know. It should be a few week before the repairs are made and hope we have no more problems with the slide once they replace every thing they need to. Will post again when we get it back. I can't wait to be able to take it out for our maiden voyage.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyj View Post
Update
I was on the phone with the factory again this AM and was given permission to take our motorhome to a locale RV repair shop that isn't a Thor Authorized service center. They are real close to me and have done lots of repairs on other motorhomes we have owned. Although it's a real bummer to have a NEW motorhome in for repair only one day after picking it up from the dealer, at least the repairs are being done by someone I trust. It was a nice move by Thor to accommodate our wishes to work with someone we know. It should be a few week before the repairs are made and hope we have no more problems with the slide once they replace every thing they need to. Will post again when we get it back. I can't wait to be able to take it out for our maiden voyage.

What a shame. Since my slide out failed 1 week into my ownership. I have been without my Palazzo for more than 60 days. Good luck with yours.
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #50

You beat me I only got 1 day. I'm going to stay positive, or I would not be able to live with my self and no one else could either. Good luck with yours and I hope all works out for both of us.

Gary & Marcie
2013 Jeep Cherokee
2114 Palazzo
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #51

My big slide is almost fixed, I was told today they have all new track and motors installed and all is working very good both in and out. They will paint it on Monday and we can pick it up Tuesday. I have to say I was not happy having to repair a new motorhome, and only having it home one day before it broke, but through it all I think Thor was very helpful. They worked hard getting the parts to us so it could be fixed, and allowed us to make the choice to go outside there service network to have the repairs made. All the contacts we had with the Thor factory service team was productive , positive, and ALL had one goal in mind that was to get it fixed and make us happy. We can't wait to take it out for our 1st shake down trip. I'm hoping this is behind us and will not be an on going nightmare. Good luck to all of you that had the same problems and I hope they all get addressed as Quick as ours was.

Gary & Marcie
2013 Jeep Cherokee
2014 palazzo 36.1
Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Could you please tell us if the new track and motors are different from the ones you had before? Are they just new parts of the same type or are they improved, beefed up parts? And from your conversations with Thor, do you think they would change the old parts to the new parts as prevention or only when the old parts would fail?
Thanks,
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #53

Mauro, they were all good questions, but at this point I don't have the answers to them. I plan to ask all when I pick her up on Tuesday and will post all that I find out.

Thanks
Gary & Marcie
2013 Jeep Cherokee
2014 Palazzo 36.1
Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thank you Gary. I am looking forward to your next post.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Could you please tell us if the new track and motors are different from the ones you had before? Are they just new parts of the same type or are they improved, beefed up parts? And from your conversations with Thor, do you think they would change the old parts to the new parts as prevention or only when the old parts would fail?
Thanks,
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro,

I had a 2014 33.2 where the Schwintek slide out system failed on week one. Thor sent a rep out to replace all the parts. They were the exact same as the parts that failed. Nothing updated as far as parts. The only thing he did differently was put a few more rivets in places that did not have rivets before.
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
I am thinking about purchasing a new Palazzo 33.1. All this discussion about the large slide out mechanism issues makes me want to pose a simple question: Knowing then what you know now, would you have purchased your Palazzo?

I've been RVing since 1984 in various towables and driveables. Its been my experience that all rigs regardless of manufacturer have issues. Some are more serious than others. My current Holiday Rambler pusher has had its fair share of problems, including the cable operated living room slide. I've gotten good at repairing that issue since dealers are afraid to work on it. I just don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, especially since the Palazzo slide out issues sound like they are not easy to fix. So once again, based on your ownership experience, would you have bought your Palazzo or looked at buying a different brand?
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, thor