Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Exclamation Thor Palazzo Jacks and Slide Question

New to Palazzo and have heard 2 conflicting reports. Please help, do I level and put the jacks down first and then the slides out, or slides out and then jacks? Also, any process that need to be followed when stoping and camping, i.e. air brake/shut down and start up?
Thank you for your help, new owner and very excited. Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing so I don't create problems down the road.

Best,

VT
vynetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you go to the Owners Corner you will find a Thor section and within that section there is a Palazzo sub-forum. You will find a lot of conversation on the operation of Palazzo slides.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vynetyme View Post
New to Palazzo and have heard 2 conflicting reports. Please help, do I level and put the jacks down first and then the slides out, or slides out and then jacks? Also, any process that need to be followed when stoping and camping, i.e. air brake/shut down and start up?
Thank you for your help, new owner and very excited. Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing so I don't create problems down the road.

Best,

VT
Welcome to the palazzo family !! Under owners forum and sub category thor industries is a palazzo forum.. come check it out.. lots of great palazzo owners..

Upon arrival at campsite we switch suspension air switch to lower to drain air bags and then level and lastly extend slides. Very important to always be level and generator running or on shore power.

Did someone tell you different??
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slow typer on tablet.. brian w already mentioned palazzo owners forum..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Commercial Member

if you have air suspension, and jacks, dump the air bags, then level and put the slides out.
if you have only jacks, level first and then put the slides out. that levels the chassis, and makes the hole in the side of the coach square, (relatively speaking) depends if the level sensor is set properly.
if you have air, many coach mfg say slides first and then level.if you do that you may have to re level after the slide is out. hwh air leveling will do that for you after 30 minutes if you leave the system on.
download as many service manuals as you can find on the internet for the appliances,leveling system, and chassis of your coach if available. there is no substitute for a service manual. if you have a problem with a system, you can most often find the problem easily, and then find the part on the internet. also it helps if you can tell the factory people what you have already checked if you have to call them.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
Welcome to the palazzo family !! Under owners forum and sub category thor industries is a palazzo forum.. come check it out.. lots of great palazzo owners..

Upon arrival at campsite we switch suspension air switch to lower to drain air bags and then level and lastly extend slides. Very important to always be level and generator running or on shore power.

Did someone tell you different??

This is the way I do it. Just as trace--- now just Last week on the Palazzo site someone at Elkhart factory was advising to run slide out 1st. Drop air then level-- then when leaving campground -air up.--jacks up then slide in. ???? Who knows. But maybe moderator can move this to the Palazzo forum.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I've moved your post here to get more owner input.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #8

Thanks Cliff. Should get more response now!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:

Best,

VT
Welcome to the Palazzo family!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Commercial Member

read the owners manual it will give you the proper sequence. its available on the internet
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Simple

1. Pick your spot
  2. Shift to Neutral
  3. Apply parking brakes
  4. Move lever to air down suspension
  5. Level coach...note: if Auto mode is off....hold Manual buttom and adjust as needed to get level.
  6. Shut engine off.......slides will not work with engine running.
  7. Press and hold extend slide button and let slide go all the way out until you hear motors stop.......release button.
Note: I have found at times, that the coach goes out of level for various reasons. Start Engine,[wait for Amp gauge to kick above 13 volts too]. Adjust level to get back to true level. Shut engin off. The retract slides.

Figured I present this, cause I have read the manuals and woke up with them on my face!

Welcome and enjoy!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:

Best,

VT

Everyone is telling you exactly what the owners manual says, but...

I just came back from Elkhart and the service center tells it differently. They tell you the coach was not on jacks when the slide was installed. They say that as long as you are reasonably level they recommend putting the slide out and then leveling. Then leveling binds the slide slightly. Go figure. Others who were at Elkhart will probably confirm what was said.

I am still doing it the way the manual states. I have had no slide problems and there is no wear on my tracts.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Slides on the Palazzo are of course a critical item. After the third rebuild, this one at Elkhart my tech advised that he prefers to put slides out with air up on the coach, then air down and level. Bill (RV8) and I discussed and asked Mark, the tech supervisor what his preference was. He confirmed that his preference was putting out slides with air up on the coach, assuming that the coach was at the time reasonably level. Bob (HDRoadKing) was not in on the particular conversation. RV8 also believes that the best way to level is manually with a level. This is because of the jerking that takes place using the auto level system. Using a 4 foot level, I have also discovered that the bubble level is not very accurate. My coach shows a quarter bubble off level on the 4 foot level when the bubble level shows OK.

Manual leveling is easier on the coach as one direction at a time levels. I had not had the courage to do the manual level until after this discussion. I believe I will make it my standard procedure. I would not extend slides with the air up if the coach was extremely unlevel.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
RV8

Thor Palazzo Jacks and Slide Question

Confirming HDRoadking's summary of the jack and slide discussion in Elkhart.
BoDu was there as well and should be along to also confirm. Like HDRoadking, we are choosing to continue following the owners manual directions until we receive a directive from Thor telling us to do otherwise. Hope this is a good choice.
RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide, thor