RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tcopeland's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,321
Trip Out West

Back home after 7,423 miles (53 days). NC to Banff, Canada.
Coach did great during the trip. Had a few self-inflicted issues. Had to remove the steps after dragging/bending them pretty bad at a fuel stop and we killed the batteries a few times by running to much for a long period of time.
All-in-all the Palazzo ran great. MPG was 10.9-11.2 towing depending on mountains (and we ran a few).
__________________

__________________
Tom MGYSGT USMC (Ret)
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
akadeadeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 1,399
Tom, We have an interest in going to Banff. How are the roads, rv parks, etc.? Any helpful hints you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don
__________________

__________________
2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rgvtexan's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NE WA or S TX
Posts: 2,905
Great trip and GREAT mileage!
__________________
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brakemaster, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Butte64's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aiken County, SC
Posts: 1,786
Congratulations on a successful trip.
__________________
Jerry
2018 Entegra Aspire 42DEQ Sweet Victory
2017 Grand Cherokee
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tcopeland's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Tom, We have an interest in going to Banff. How are the roads, rv parks, etc.? Any helpful hints you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don

Roads are good. Two lane most of the way. We stayed at the national park in Banff. U need to make reservation well in advance.
__________________
Tom MGYSGT USMC (Ret)
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Berlin Kid's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 567
What was the resolution for your battery problem?
__________________
Jim & Sandy, Columbus, OH
2018 Thor Aria 3601
FMCA-F434648, TDC, FCOC
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tcopeland's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
What was the resolution for your battery problem?

It lost power/charge three times during the trip. I kept the water level up during extended stops. One of those unknowns. On my list for Goshen.
__________________
Tom MGYSGT USMC (Ret)
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
HappyCamper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 170
We're currently 7,500 miles into our two month trip around Canada and the USA, and staying here in the Banff National Park. This is a beautiful location. Our motorhome hasn't had any problems towing our Jeep up and down the hills around here and the other National Parks. Banff is definitely worth the drive.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 45
Great trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Back home after 7,423 miles (53 days). NC to Banff, Canada.
Coach did great during the trip. Had a few self-inflicted issues. Had to remove the steps after dragging/bending them pretty bad at a fuel stop and we killed the batteries a few times by running to much for a long period of time.
All-in-all the Palazzo ran great. MPG was 10.9-11.2 towing depending on mountains (and we ran a few).
Even considering a few glitches along the way it sounds like you and the DW had a great trip. You all certainly saw a lot of country. We are glad that your trip was uneventful ( negative type) and that you all made it home safe. Look forward to seeing you & DW in Goshen. We are not going anywhere before that trip - our large slide will not extend. Have appointment in Elkhart two weeks before TDC rally for fix. We love traveling in our Palazzo !!! Ed
__________________
Ed Starck
2013 33.2 Palazzo with 2011 GMC Canyon toad
FMCA 422438 Windsor Colordo
ERStarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
tcopeland's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,321
Good to hear from you. Hope your travels have been safe.
We just went over 27,000 miles on our Palazzo. Very few problems except those by the operator.
May take a break before Goshen. From there we will go to the veterans celebration in Branson, MO.
__________________
Tom MGYSGT USMC (Ret)
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Good to hear from you. Hope your travels have been safe.
We just went over 27,000 miles on our Palazzo. Very few problems except those by the operator.
May take a break before Goshen. From there we will go to the veterans celebration in Branson, MO.
Happy to see all went well and we are looking forward to seeing the both of you in Goshen!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Clover, SC
Posts: 226
Circuit of the US

Last week we completed our 5500 mile circuit of the US with our grandchildren. From South Carolina we hit the National Quilt Museum in Paducah KY, Wall SD, Badlands NP, Mt. Rushmore, CrazyHorse Monument, Devils Tower, Little BigHorn Battlefield, Cody Wyoming, Yellowstone NP, Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, CedarBreaks NM, Las Vegas, south rim of the Grand Canyon (camped at Williams), Meteor Crater and Graceland. Whew! 35 days with the longest stay 4 days in Las Vegas. That was because a check engine light came on and we had to have Freightliner check it out. Other than that the only issue with the coach was a fault light on the drop down bunk that was resolved over the phone with Thor on the next morning. Mileage was not as good as hoped, about 9.2 MPG, but we were towing the pickup with bikes on the back. Looked like a big sail in the rear view camera. The grandkids really enjoyed it and so did the dog. Grandma and I are still too weary to tell yet. She made great use of the washer/dryer. There are some really nice parks out there and a couple that should be condemned. Most roads were good, but those that weren't were really bad. We saw 3 other Palazzos on the road and Jerry (Butte 64) at the Virgin River Resort in Utah. It was good to see a familiar face. We are looking forward to Goshen and Cape Hatteras.
__________________
Bob & Rita
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2010 Chevy Colorado toad
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
tcopeland's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 1,321
Great to hear!
__________________
Tom MGYSGT USMC (Ret)
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
wstrace3's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Youngsville, LA
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
Last week we completed our 5500 mile circuit of the US with our grandchildren. From South Carolina we hit the National Quilt Museum in Paducah KY, Wall SD, Badlands NP, Mt. Rushmore, CrazyHorse Monument, Devils Tower, Little BigHorn Battlefield, Cody Wyoming, Yellowstone NP, Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, CedarBreaks NM, Las Vegas, south rim of the Grand Canyon (camped at Williams), Meteor Crater and Graceland. Whew! 35 days with the longest stay 4 days in Las Vegas. That was because a check engine light came on and we had to have Freightliner check it out. Other than that the only issue with the coach was a fault light on the drop down bunk that was resolved over the phone with Thor on the next morning. Mileage was not as good as hoped, about 9.2 MPG, but we were towing the pickup with bikes on the back. Looked like a big sail in the rear view camera. The grandkids really enjoyed it and so did the dog. Grandma and I are still too weary to tell yet. She made great use of the washer/dryer. There are some really nice parks out there and a couple that should be condemned. Most roads were good, but those that weren't were really bad. We saw 3 other Palazzos on the road and Jerry (Butte 64) at the Virgin River Resort in Utah. It was good to see a familiar face. We are looking forward to Goshen and Cape Hatteras.
Wow !! sounds like yall had an awesome trip. We were just talking about you guys the other night and wondering how the trip was going. PreK starting for kiddos has limited our number of taking long weekend trips for a while.
Glad to hear minimal problems with the coach though.. and I'm sure it's nice to be home.
__________________

__________________
Billy and Danielle
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.3
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I-80 to west side of Yellowstone Park? BBQ Judge Navigation, Routes & Roads 10 05-01-2014 06:22 AM
Trip west THERAPY GUY Navigation, Routes & Roads 10 04-17-2014 08:28 AM
You trip planning insight for a newbie, please cptgregger Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 10 04-07-2014 02:08 PM
Would You repack bearings after 8,000 trip? Chuck24 Travel Trailer Discussion 12 02-13-2014 09:44 AM
Key West wedding TXBart Entegra Owner's Forum 16 01-15-2014 07:21 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.