Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Turn Signal Mutes Radio.....Errrrr

Just purchased a 2018 33.2, overall my first impressions are good, but when I use the turn signals the right or left camera will appear on my axxera monitor in the dash as expected. The feature that makes me insane is the music mutes while the turn signal is on. How do i disable that muting? Or is there anothe mod i need to do?

MonkeyButt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Have you looked in the manual for your stereo? It might be a setting that needs to be changed. If you don't have a paper manual, go online and search for a downloadable version. I'd also ask the dealer or Thor if that 'feature' can be changed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

We also have a 2018 33.2. The muting with the turn signals is not good especially is using blue tooth from my phone. Really bad if listening to an audio book.

I downloaded the owners manual but could not see a setting to adjust the muting function. I am going to use a battery powered blue tooth speaker on the dash, unless or until this is resolved.

I also can not figure where, or how a wired USB device can be used with thus system. Have you figured that one out?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It sounds like it's for safety. Not only would you want to see what's on the sides of your coach before making a move, but also hear what's there. I'm sure it's annoying, but not hearing something coming up on your side could result in an accident.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
It sounds like it's for safety. Not only would you want to see what's on the sides of your coach before making a move, but also hear what's there. I'm sure it's annoying, but not hearing something coming up on your side could result in an accident.

Lori-
Does the stereo pick up and play the sounds for each camera? Again, what does Thor say about this?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

The camera's do not pick up any outside sound. I'm just curious why this would be a safety feature? I have been driving on the road in both big trucks and cars for 30+ years and have never needed my stereo to mute for changing lanes. It actually more dangerous muting the stereo since now I do not want to use my turn signals. I think I'm going to install my own stereo and use the speaker system already connected in the coach and bypass the factory system and just leave in there for the camera function.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButt70 View Post
Just purchased a 2018 33.2, overall my first impressions are good, but when I use the turn signals the right or left camera will appear on my axxera monitor in the dash as expected. The feature that makes me insane is the music mutes while the turn signal is on. How do i disable that muting? Or is there anothe mod i need to do?
Ha, this is the design. Mine does it also. If on Bluetooth however it pauses the music then picks up where it left off at least. I guess if someone tiny is there and they honk, it would be safer to be able to hear them!

Good luck with any manuals for that odd sound system. That said, I think I have mine figured out most of the way and I actually am beginning to like it. Better than the one I had in my Winnebago.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Here is a solution that I found on another site complaining about the same issue. It does not seem to be a safety feature but rather than the installers not knowing the product and how it works.

"We just bought a 2018 Hurricane 29M and had the same problem. The radio is a newer Axxera (AVM70). Not only did the radio go silent when turn signals were on it did the same when I shifted into reverse. The other issue I had with the turn signals was that I like to leave the rear camera on when driving so I can see my Jeep. Any time I used the turn signals the monitor would return to the radio screen instead of the camera where I wanted it.

I pulled the radio out from the dash and when I looked at the wiring I found an orange wire labeled "Back View Control". I disconnected that wire and now the cameras work the way I want them to. Shifting to reverse or using the turn signals doesn't automatically switch to camera view and silence the radio. The good news is that I can manually switch to camera mode and it stays on the camera and switches to the correct side camera when signals are used. I still have volume control using the "old fashioned method" of turning the knob."
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Here is a solution that I found on another site complaining about the same issue. It does not seem to be a safety feature but rather than the installers not knowing the product and how it works.

"We just bought a 2018 Hurricane 29M and had the same problem. The radio is a newer Axxera (AVM70). Not only did the radio go silent when turn signals were on it did the same when I shifted into reverse. The other issue I had with the turn signals was that I like to leave the rear camera on when driving so I can see my Jeep. Any time I used the turn signals the monitor would return to the radio screen instead of the camera where I wanted it.

I pulled the radio out from the dash and when I looked at the wiring I found an orange wire labeled "Back View Control". I disconnected that wire and now the cameras work the way I want them to. Shifting to reverse or using the turn signals doesn't automatically switch to camera view and silence the radio. The good news is that I can manually switch to camera mode and it stays on the camera and switches to the correct side camera when signals are used. I still have volume control using the "old fashioned method" of turning the knob."
If you try this and it works, let us know!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #10

Let us know how this works on the Palazzo. Perfect would be.... Using turn signals shows the appropriate camera without cutting the sound - - signal off returns to rear view.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #11

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Turn signal mutes radio

This is for those that don't look at the monitor or in the mirror when they change lanes! Hopefully they will hear the poor little guy they are cutting off honking his horn!!
I know that no one on this forum would do that, but lots of people out there are a bit scary! I hope they aren't smart enough to disable it.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
This is for those that don't look at the monitor or in the mirror when they change lanes! Hopefully they will hear the poor little guy they are cutting off honking his horn!!
I know that no one on this forum would do that, but lots of people out there are a bit scary! I hope they aren't smart enough to disable it.
Happy Glamping.
I have to admit, it made me more attentive to my lane changes every time the radio muted and the camera came on for my last 1500 mile trip. It probably is a good safety feature.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

If the driver needs the radio muted to change lanes, then maybe that driver should not be operating a large RV, just saying!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #14

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
If the driver needs the radio muted to change lanes, then maybe that driver should not be operating a large RV, just saying!
I have to agree with you there, there are some out there that should never be behind the wheel of anything bigger than a car. Even then they are probably scary!
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio