Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Using A/C with the generator

This is a newbie question, and yes I am a newbie!!! We just picked up our MH and drove it home. We only have a 20amp circuit so I know I can't run the a/c from plugging into the house, but I tried and it ran for a few minutes and tripped the breaker in the garage. Easy fix reset the breaker and turned the a/c off. So then unplugged the MH from the house, started the generator, turned on the inverter , refrige runs and micro wave lights up but still no a/c. I know a/c worked at the dealer several weeks ago on the generator, and the a/c was running when we picked it up when plugged into the 50amp service at the dealer. So I figure I am missing a switch somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Just for laughs, I pulled into fuel up and that was the first time I had been the one opening the door. Felt like a life time but I finally pulled the right lever, the guy waiting to pump the fuel in said "just picked it up" had to say "yes", you could see the dealer down the road. Won't have that problem again, but I bet there are a few more waiting for me. Enjoyed reading the posts from this group, hope to see some of you around. Gary
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

Don't much about your particular coach, but I've had an occasional breaker issue on my Fiver when I overloaded a circuit. Yours may have tripped one of two if it's set up the same on your generator.
Congrats and happy trails.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #3

Using a/c with the generator

Look on the front part of your generator and see if the breaker on it is thrown. Should be right beside the start switch. Will need that crazy big flat sided (round on bottom) key to open front of coach.

AC won't run on inverter .

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
20 amp service at home

I too at this time only able to plug into a 20 amp circuit at home. Make sure the following is turned off inside coach before you plug in:
  1. Engine block heater. Switch on my 33.2 is on side of rear bed with a indicator light as to what position it is in.
  2. Electric hot water switch. located on control panel.
Keep the invertor on. Circuit will sense the ouside current and perform a switch over. Monitor the control panel for "Bulk Charging" and see if fridge is running. {Fridge is protected with bathroom GFI outlet also].

Now turn on only one A/C unit. It should run with no problem. If you trip the home breaker, shut off A/C unit before resetting breaker. A/C unit that was just turned off has a delay circuit that will take a few minutes to recycle before being turned on.

When starting generator, allow it to stabilize before turning anything on. It will take over all of the 110 volt appliances and charge battery at same time. Look at control panel for the "Bulk Charging mode" when circuit switches over.[ same for when plugged in at home]. Then with generator running and all is charging you will be able to use both A/C's. Under front hood, on generator next to rocker start switch is the generator breaker FYI.

Note to the Newbie: In really hot weather, the dash A/C running off engine doesn't really cut it. So for comfort you could allow generator to run with both A/C's running to get to the level of comfort needed as you are driving.

Good luck with new coach!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
I too at this time only able to plug into a 20 amp circuit at home. Make sure the following is turned off inside coach before you plug in:
  1. Engine block heater. Switch on my 33.2 is on side of rear bed with a indicator light as to what position it is in.
  2. Electric hot water switch. located on control panel.
Keep the invertor on. Circuit will sense the ouside current and perform a switch over. Monitor the control panel for "Bulk Charging" and see if fridge is running. {Fridge is protected with bathroom GFI outlet also].

Now turn on only one A/C unit. It should run with no problem. If you trip the home breaker, shut off A/C unit before resetting breaker. A/C unit that was just turned off has a delay circuit that will take a few minutes to recycle before being turned on.

When starting generator, allow it to stabilize before turning anything on. It will take over all of the 110 volt appliances and charge battery at same time. Look at control panel for the "Bulk Charging mode" when circuit switches over.[ same for when plugged in at home]. Then with generator running and all is charging you will be able to use both A/C's. Under front hood, on generator next to rocker start switch is the generator breaker FYI.

Note to the Newbie: In really hot weather, the dash A/C running off engine doesn't really cut it. So for comfort you could allow generator to run with both A/C's running to get to the level of comfort needed as you are driving.

Good luck with new coach!
Don

Well done Don,

I will add if you are in the Wal-mart parking lot or driving down the road with both A/Cs running off the generator don't running the microwave! That will overload the generator and throw it's breaker too.

Further note to the Newbie: Now ask yourself how we know all of this. You will learn not only how open your door and manage your power, but a whole lot of other things. Some of us that have been through it will always be glad to help.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
20 amps should be enough to run the A/C but... On a modern coach that may only be possible once the batteries are full up.

Explanation:

My coach the converter is a Progressie Dynamics Intella-power 9180 with wizard,, IF the batteries are low this puppy can suck 10-12 amps easy.

The A/C sucks 13.5

Thats more than 20

Once the batteries are full up, current draw by the converter goes down.. By Down I mean like low single digit 1,2,3) add 13.5 and the 20 amp breaker holds solid. Fridge draws around 3-4 amps on A/C.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

This link will change your life

2013 Palazzo 33.3

http://magnumenergy.com/wp-content/u...ev-D-ME-RC.pdf
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In case it is not clear from previous posts, the inverter is only for use when you don't have shore power or generator. With generator running you have enough power for both A/C. You cannot run A/C on inverter.

Another thing to check is the Use/store switch to make sure the 12V system is active.

The ability to run generator and A/C while driving is great.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you everyone you nailed it. The breaker was tripped on the generator, a/c works now on to the next issue. Maybe we should call this the newbie corner. Thanks again Gary
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #10

Don't feel bad. Stopped at test area to have lunch. Shut off gen to check oil and must have bumped the switch . Did not take long for the microwave to crater . Drove me nuts for a while until I retracedy steps on what I did and found the switch on the gen. Happy day
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

You can run one AC on. 20amp shore power... Though make sure the RV is the only thing on the circuit. Also, your 120v extension cable should be 10 gauge wire, those 12/14 gauge extension are not gonna cut it.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #12

DIDO on the Redridge post, I'd like to add that DW fryed an ac on too small of an extension cord once.....
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator