Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Using Palazzo during winter months

Anyone out there been camping during freezing temperatures? Not sure what all I should consider as I will be in area where rain and snow with temps in mid to upper 20's during the night.
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One of the owners from Colorado has used theirs in winter weather. Hopefully they can give you the info you at looking for.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
I would think a few space heater's would be needed
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had our ACE out last winter for two weeks in February. We didn't put any water in the on board tanks; just used outside water hook-ups during the day and bottled water to flush at night and when it was below freezing. No problems to report. It worked like a charm (even when we had 2" of snow on the orange tree south of Tucson, AZ). Can't speak for the Palazzo, but I would think it would be the same.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

Using Palazzo during the winter

Well, we survived Blizzard conditions here at Beaver Lake Water Park in Custer South Dakota. Fresh water was full, unhooked water supply and kept furnace at 68 degrees. Did get an electric utility heater to keep our dining area warm. Weather predicted about 2 feet of snow so we pulled big slide in. Everything worked (dish water and toilet) as furnace is keeping holding areas from freezing. It has warmed back up to 50's and plan on leaving in a few days.

Thanks to those who replied and I hope my small entry helps assure other Palazzo owners the confidence to set up in freezing temps. If no snow I wouldn't worry about big slide but I am glad I didn't leave mine out as we did get 20" and it was wet.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the update Mean... good to know that the basement heater ducts works.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Using Palazzo during winter months

Hey Redridge is that the 10th Anniversary Rubi?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #8

no, regular Rubi... The Anniv Ed is sweet though.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean1255 View Post
Well, we survived Blizzard conditions here at Beaver Lake Water Park in Custer South Dakota. Fresh water was full, unhooked water supply and kept furnace at 68 degrees. Did get an electric utility heater to keep our dining area warm. Weather predicted about 2 feet of snow so we pulled big slide in. Everything worked (dish water and toilet) as furnace is keeping holding areas from freezing. It has warmed back up to 50's and plan on leaving in a few days.

Thanks to those who replied and I hope my small entry helps assure other Palazzo owners the confidence to set up in freezing temps. If no snow I wouldn't worry about big slide but I am glad I didn't leave mine out as we did get 20" and it was wet.
Good to hear, thanks!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

Just remember that whether you have used the onboard water tank, city water hookup or even just used bottled water to flush the toilet, you must keep the propane furnace on during below freezing weather unless you drain and winterize the entire rig. This includes while you are driving down the road. Your grey and black water storage tank drain valves can freeze and break if you have poured anything down the kitchen/bathroom/shower drain or the toilet other than antifreeze. If it is below freezing you can use electric space heaters as a supplement, but you still must keep the propane furnace going or you will freeze the under frame piping & valves.

In Colorado we have already had a hard freeze and I have already winterized the rig with pink anti-freeze. However we still have several races left until early November. We will use bottled water for drinking and flushing and I keep the propane furnace turned on until we return home at the end of the weekend. I go to the RV station and dump the grey/black tanks, close the valves and pour 1 gallon of pink anti-freeze in the toilet and another gallon evenly poured in the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. Then I turn the propane furnace off and were good until the next event. Doing it this way protects the P traps under the sinks and ensures the grey and black tanks have anti-freeze in them where the liquids pool up against the drain valves. If we take the rig somewhere during the winter we just repeat this process so we don't have to go through a full winterizing again.

Tags
winter