Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Weight - Palazzo 33.2 2018

Hello Forum Members,

Just took our first week long trip to Atlanta to Tampa. Great time. On the way home we stopped at the Escapees RV Club - Smart Weigh in Bushnell, FL. Thought you might be interested in our corner weights.

2 passengers (200 and 125 lbs.), 1 dog (70 lbs.), approx. 84 gallons of diesel (600 lbs.), 25 gallons of fresh water (208 lbs.), propane 81% (105 lbs.), 0 grey, 0 black. Light load of clothing/food.

Here are the numbers:

R Front 3,770
L Front 3,800
R Rear 7,700
L Rear 8,250

Total Front 7,750
Total Rear 15,950

All well within the GAWR Front of 10,500 and the GAWR Rear of 17,500.

Per the Michelin web site for my XZE tires, I should be running the front tires are 80 PSI and the rears at 90 PSI.

I should also load any heavier items on the right side of the coach.

Hope this is helpful
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

yep, about the same PSI that I use, smooth ride, too....
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I have a new 2018 33.2 as well. Makes sense about the right side being lighter. The baseline tire pressures help, mine are still too high.

Plan to have mine weighed in a couple weeks and will share for comparison. Should be very similar, I would certainly hope.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

tire pressure and weight

Silly question, but how do you find a place that weighs motorhomes and how much does it cost?
Secondly, do all the tire manufactures list pressure recommendations on their websites? This is great info! Don't want to run around on 120psi if I don't have to!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #5

weighing MH

I see you are in Utah. I'm not sure about there, but in Idaho and Oregon, the state truck weigh stations leave the scales on when they are closed. So in our travels I just watch for a closed weigh station. Free, no hurry, accurate.
Mike
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobyja View Post
Hello Forum Members,

Just took our first week long trip to Atlanta to Tampa. Great time. On the way home we stopped at the Escapees RV Club - Smart Weigh in Bushnell, FL. Thought you might be interested in our corner weights.

2 passengers (200 and 125 lbs.), 1 dog (70 lbs.), approx. 84 gallons of diesel (600 lbs.), 25 gallons of fresh water (208 lbs.), propane 81% (105 lbs.), 0 grey, 0 black. Light load of clothing/food.

Here are the numbers:

R Front 3,770
L Front 3,800
R Rear 7,700
L Rear 8,250

Total Front 7,750
Total Rear 15,950

All well within the GAWR Front of 10,500 and the GAWR Rear of 17,500.

Per the Michelin web site for my XZE tires, I should be running the front tires are 80 PSI and the rears at 90 PSI.

I should also load any heavier items on the right side of the coach.

Hope this is helpful
Great job getting the new coach weighed. See below for our '18 33.2 data...our rears came in at a matching 8150 each.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/2018...ts-352971.html
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:53 AM   #7

most Truck Stops have 'CAT' scales or similar weighing systems... a $10 bill will probably cover it... just drive up on the scales, push the button for the attendant, and they will help you. Go in to pay and receive your weights.
You can pull up with only your front wheels on the scale, move to all 6, move to include your toad, etc... then you'll know all the axle weights. There are ways to get each tire end weight as well.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #8

Escapees Weight Locations

https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/smartweigh

The link above will show the Escapees Smartweigh locations. Cost was $45 for the coach only. Toad extra $20. Service included a written report and a detailed explanation of the findings. The guy who did our weight knew his stuff.

Don't know if all tire manufactures have weight charts, but Michelin does.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobyja View Post
https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/smartweigh

The link above will show the Escapees Smartweigh locations. Cost was $45 for the coach only. Toad extra $20. Service included a written report and a detailed explanation of the findings. The guy who did our weight knew his stuff.

Don't know if all tire manufactures have weight charts, but Michelin does.
Thanks. I will get this done sometime on a trip.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Thanks. I will get this done sometime on a trip.
Another option is the RV Safety and Education Foundation RVSEF who set up weighing at many rallies. Here is their '18 schedule:
Weighing Schedule
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Arrow 'CAT' scale weight sheet, example...

...here's our CAT scales weight sheet from a Shell Travel Center truck stop in Cordes Junction, Arizona...

'trailer axle' for us was really the '14 Ford Fiesta toad weight...nice.

looks like $10.50 back in early 2016
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palazzo full axle weights.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	193511  
Old 02-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
...here's our CAT scales weight sheet from a Shell Travel Center truck stop in Cordes Junction, Arizona...

'trailer axle' for us was really the '14 Ford Fiesta toad weight...nice.

looks like $10.50 back in early 2016
Obviously we want proper weight for safety. However, do you ever have to stop at state weigh stations in an RV? Or has anyone on here ever been pulled over for being over weight? How would they know?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #13

nope, you're not a commercial vehicle...

interesting note, though... I've delivered new coaches from several factories to dealers across the country - even in a 'commercial' transport endeavor, drivers are not required to stop at weigh or inspection stations, they are simply driving a motorcoach, not 'delivering' product or goods. The GVWR of the vehicle also does not matter, whether a small Class A gas, or the largest tag axle 45' diesel.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will not get pulled over. unless you were using the Motorhome in a commercial business. Even then, tough to tell.

Main concern would be handling, braking and potential damage to your vehicle. If you were to get in an accident and an investigation shows overload contributed to the accident, inability to stop or avoid, there could be potential issues.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight