Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Whirlpool Dryer Frays Towels

We decided to test out the Whirlpool washer and dryer with two bath towels. The washer was uneventful although it shakes the RV when spinning. However, the dryer pulls the loops out of the towels effectively shredding them. Close inspection found a sensor with two metal strips catches the loops in the towels and pulls them out. An internet search on the dryer model revealed this has been a problem with the Whirlpool dryer for quite some time. I believe somewhere on this forum others have reported this.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I might try cramming some JB Weld epoxy into the edges of the two metal strips in an attempt to remove any possibility of the loops getting caught.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

In Palazzo coaches, we have Ariston washers and dryers. Are you a Palazzo owner?
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
In Palazzo coaches, we have Ariston washers and dryers. Are you a Palazzo owner?
Yes, just picked it up last week (notice signature).
Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #4

We have the Ariston and works great. When we are traveling my wife goes a load a day.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have the Whirlpool dryer and looked at the sensor today. We could not find any rough area or any way that something could snag in the sensor or around it. Maybe a service call to Whirlpool is in order
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We also have a Whirlpool in another brand of MH with no towel snagging problems at all. It sounds like it might be an isolated problem as many manufacture use Whirlpool dryers and it would be all over the forums if it was a common problem. as someone suggested, a call to WP might be in order.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer503 View Post
We have the Whirlpool dryer and looked at the sensor today. We could not find any rough area or any way that something could snag in the sensor or around it. Maybe a service call to Whirlpool is in order
The dryer model is WFC7500VW2 and the sensor is a black plastic piece about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long, mounted inside the drum. On this black piece are two metal strips, each 1/4 in wide by about 3 in long. The loops in the towels get caught beneath the length of these strips and get pulled out of the towels. Searching the internet for this model dryer shows others have had the same problem for over a year. I would never guess this is possible by looking at it. When my wife removed the towels we were shocked to see the damage. My plan is to create a fillet of epoxy along the edges of the strips in hopes to effect a repair.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Your post prompted me to inspect the drum of our Whirlpool model LDR3822PQ1. Even though it's a different model, I found what appears to be the same exact sensor in the rear of the drum near the filter. I ran my thumb over the sensor and didn't find any burrs or separation of the strips from the body of the sensor. Ours has been used daily for more than three years and we haven't had any issues with it. Thank you for the heads up though.

It sounds as though a call to Whirlpool might be in order. Your coach is new enough that I would think the appliances are stil under warranty.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club

Above is a photo taken of the sensor which has been pulling loops from towels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor.JPG
Views:	706
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	78191  
Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send the photos to WP service center and let them replace the sensor. That should end your problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mike and Sue

I just looked inside my dryer after seeing your picture. On our sensor there is not a gap between the silver contacts and the black base. They are tight against the black base. I think it would be worth a service call and see if they have a sensor that they can replace yours with, at least you will know what to look for when they show you the replacement.
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #12

I am having the same problem. Have you solved the issue, and if so what was the solution?

Any advice would be appreciated.
David1025g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1025g View Post
I am having the same problem. Have you solved the issue, and if so what was the solution?

Any advice would be appreciated.
There is a sensor, I believe part number 3976479, mounted on the drum that catches the loops in the towels. This sensor is easily visible by opening the door and looking at the back wall inside the drum. It is black plastic with two metal strips that should fit flush in the plastic. In my case, the strips were not seated tightly and would catch the loops in the towels and fraying them.

The fix was to have Whirlpool service come out and remove the dryer to replace the sensor. Not wanting anyone to damage the RV, I removed the dryer myself and the tech helped put it back. It is not possible to replace the sensor without gaining access to the back of the dryer. The new sensor was not made the same as the old but looked the same on what could be seen after assembly.

Tags
tow