Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Windshield cracked

Driving on US17 southbound in Georgia, wife and I noticed a crack come down the right side of the windshield, about 18 inches or so! No traffic in sight, not hit by anything. Stress crack?

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

Glass splits from old incidence.

I have had a similar experience then my wife reminded me that she had hit a bird about a week earlier. Close observation showed a small indent just off the bottom edge of the glass. Apparently as the wind pressure pushed on the glass, the split extended up from that spot into a crack that eventually extended to about 18 inches up from the bottom edge of the windshield. At least Allstate was OK with that explanation and replaced the glass except for the deductible.

In another incidence, I heard a rock hit the windshield of the Jeep, but there was no damage. Then about a week later a crack started from that area and extended across and up the windshield. The jeep in the shop as I type to get another windshield.

Apparently this is common.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
When I purchased my Palazzo, I was advised that the large windshield was a "bug magnet" which was affirmed after driving it. I have also found that is a "rock magnet". I'm on my third windshield in 26,000 miles. Thankfully I have full coverage.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
All it takes is a small chip at or near the edge of the glass. I expect if you inspect the crack at the edge you will find a small chip.

We had a rock flip off of a passing semi trailer, hit the rear tire of a semi we were about to pass, and hit the center of the windshield. There was no doubt this rock would be an issue. The rock hit solidly and I swear it stayed in position for several seconds. When it fell off there was a large bruise that immediately started cracking left and right.

Had our local glass man try to glue it but a new windshield is in the near future.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Go ahead and call your insurance company. The folks who handle these replacements are in Elkhart and will need to ship the Palazzo windshield to a glass shop near you. Takes several days to get there depending on where there is. We were in Cody Wyoming when we alerted the insurance and had the glass shipped to Great Falls for a replacement. Fortunately for us our state policy was no deductible on windshield replacement.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

Already done

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #7

We are on our 4th windshield. One episode was two rocks 20 minutes apart on I 10 in east Louisiana.

StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

in the shop tomorrow for our first windshield replacement in 60,000+ miles...
though we've had the typical small rock cracks in various places for many, many, miles..
one midway up on the passenger edge finally decided to open up to about 12" the other week, probably because we had a very cold/freezing/snow/ice week a while back, which added temp changes to the movement of the coach to create enough stress to make it happen.

I had Safelite contact NIRVC(NationalIndoorRVCenters) of Atlanta(Lawrenceville,GA) to provide the replacement at their brand new facility - the glass arrived Friday. They also have electric hookups for overnight stays during repairs. I'm sure I'll also spend some time in their new all Indoor RV sales center with new Newmar DutchStars, Entegra Anthems, and even new Palazzos that they just started handling. : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
in the shop tomorrow for our first windshield replacement in 60,000+ miles...
though we've had the typical small rock cracks in various places for many, many, miles..
one midway up on the passenger edge finally decided to open up to about 12" the other week, probably because we had a very cold/freezing/snow/ice week a while back, which added temp changes to the movement of the coach to create enough stress to make it happen.

I had Safelite contact NIRVC(NationalIndoorRVCenters) of Atlanta(Lawrenceville,GA) to provide the replacement at their brand new facility - the glass arrived Friday. They also have electric hookups for overnight stays during repairs. I'm sure I'll also spend some time in their new all Indoor RV sales center with new Newmar DutchStars, Entegra Anthems, and even new Palazzos that they just started handling. : )
Yesterday I had to go 60 miles to get something i wasn't happy with fixed from a receint re upholstering of our couch. At the upolserers different location I need to level the coach to retract a slide to give them room which brought the front tires off the ground about 2". I have automatic levelers and didn't think that would be a problem for a few minutes, not sure if that contributed to the crack i saw soon after on the return home. I was never aware of anything hitting the windshield. it was about 18" long starting at the upper right corner. Wasn't a good feeling driving home having the upholstery issue fixed only having to deal with another.

I needed to pick up a part from my local Giant Recreation World in Ormond Beach and inquired about the repair of the windshield. I was given a local who they use, "Auto Glass by design" in Daytona, contacted him then Allstate and am now waiting for them to complete whatever they need to do.

Good news is i live in florida and Allstate said Florida has no deductible for windshields.

Once the new windshield is in that will leave me with yet another project re installing the magnets for the magne shade. Not a fun job needing the help of a friend we had to remove the front shade and a valance to get the upper magnets in place.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Not trying to hi-jack thread, but have a semi-related question. I have a near-clear film, 3M Crystaline, installed on the 1-piece windshield of my MH. The purpose of the film is to reduce heat transfer, which it does very well. My question: in the event I need to replace the windshield due to rock damage, will insurance cover the $500 cost of replacing the film? I realize I could just call GEICO and ask, but I'd prefer not to raise their attention and thought someone on this forum would have some experience with windshield film replacements.
Fancy Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Free View Post
Not trying to hi-jack thread, but have a semi-related question. I have a near-clear film, 3M Crystaline, installed on the 1-piece windshield of my MH. The purpose of the film is to reduce heat transfer, which it does very well. My question: in the event I need to replace the windshield due to rock damage, will insurance cover the $500 cost of replacing the film? I realize I could just call GEICO and ask, but I'd prefer not to raise their attention and thought someone on this forum would have some experience with windshield film replacements.
I have heard alot lately about that film....I assume the film is on the inside.... does it really make a difference ? We are in texas and I would love to reduce some of the heat .....
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We had this film installed on the windows of our home at the recommendation of some friends. Our house backs up to a lake and afternoon sun gets pretty intense. It was starting to fade/dry out furniture and hardwood floors. While being installed on a triple-wide set of windows, the "supervisor" suggested I stand behind the one as-yet unfilmed window, then do a side-step to move behind a filmed window. The difference was incredible and made a believer out of me. When we got our motorhome 4-years later, I went back to the same installer and had this stuff put on every window of the RV, including DS, PS front sides and the windshield.
It's my understanding this stuff must be installed by an authorized 3M dealer for the warranty to be valid, no DIY's. That drives the price up considerably, which is why my question about insurance coverage if/when I need to replace a filmed windshield: is replacement film included?
If you consider this stuff for your home/RV; Yes, it is on the inside of the window. Yes, my home has thermal (vacuum) windows with no problems after 6-years. We were emphatic in talking to the dealer that our goal on the MH was heat reduction, not privacy. The film he recommended was a very pale greenish tint, you can see both into and out of the MH glass, day & nite. 3M makes about a dozen films, including a ceramic film and my favored crystalline film. Each film comes in at least 2 colors (darkness), and different performance characteristics. My dealer was up-to-date on State law as to what films could be used on side windows and front windows, at least in my home-state. I'm very pleased and would recommend this stuff, about the same cost for a windshield as a MagnaShade without the put-up-take-down exercise. BUT...if the windshield cracks, I fear it will add $500-700 to replacement costs, not covered by insurance.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series | 3M United States
Old 05-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #14

I do appreciate the info, recently I have been looking at covers for the windshield when parked, this film may be the answer and would also help while driving !!!!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote