Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Winterizing with blow off valve

I used to use a blow off valve and air compressor method when winterizing my old RV. My 33.2 has the washing machine. Is there a way to "blow out" the washing machine line so I don't have to pump foul tasting pink antifreeze? I know how to do the rest, even the refrigerator ice maker but I'm stumped of how to get the washer winterized with the blow off valve. Any suggestions of how to do this?
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sttom View Post
I used to use a blow off valve and air compressor method when winterizing my old RV. My 33.2 has the washing machine. Is there a way to "blow out" the washing machine line so I don't have to pump foul tasting pink antifreeze? I know how to do the rest, even the refrigerator ice maker but I'm stumped of how to get the washer winterized with the blow off valve. Any suggestions of how to do this?
sttom
When I winterize my coach for winter storage in Minnesota I "gravity drain" my fresh water system by opening the hot and cold water low point drains.
I don't blowout my water lines and I use no RV antifreeze... (except in the Splendide washer drain pump and in the P-traps).

While the water is draining I winterize the Splendide washer/dryer by pouring 2 cups full of RV antifreeze into the washer and running the washer through a rinse cycle... (which allows the water in the washer supply lines to drain and fills the washer drain pump with RV antifreeze).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You can get the lines TO the washer blown out with the compressor, but you can't get the pump & lines out. Do what Woodchopper suggested then put the washer on the spin/drain cycle & that'll take care of the pump & outgoing lines.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Do I have to run a hot and cold cycle and at the same time use the compressor to blow the lines connecting to my washer?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
sttom
When I winterize my coach for winter storage in Minnesota I "gravity drain" my fresh water system by opening the hot and cold water low point drains.
I don't blowout my water lines and I use no RV antifreeze... (except in the Splendide washer drain pump and in the P-traps).

While the water is draining I winterize the Splendide washer/dryer by pouring 2 cups full of RV antifreeze into the washer and running the washer through a rinse cycle... (which allows the water in the washer supply lines to drain and fills the washer drain pump with RV antifreeze).
How many winters have you been winterizing this way and how do you keep the pipes from bursting?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Do I have to run a hot and cold cycle and at the same time use the compressor to blow the lines connecting to my washer?
You can select the WARM setting on your temp dial & you'll do both incoming lines at the same time. I prefer to do HOT & COLD separately, but that's just my preference.

Lori-
Old 12-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thx for the replies as it helps us lurkers also.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #8

Just finished last night. It's going to be in the high teens or low 20s for a few days so I just made it! The washer went fairly smooth with the advice found here. The other parts were normal....just blowing out the sinks, shower and toilet. The only thing that didn't go as planned was the ice cube dispenser. I saw a video posted on another thread where you take off the housing on the end of the ice cube maker and pull off, then using a jumper wire across "V to L" should make the motor pull water out of the line and also using the compressor to push all remaining. Didn't work at all. Oh well I'm pretty sure everything will be good to go....Oh yeah, I found some mouse droppings. :-(. I had some crackers in there. I cleaned any and all food to be found so hopefully he'll go away now. Got to find the hole and plug it.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
sttom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
How many winters have you been winterizing this way and how do you keep the pipes from bursting?
Monacoach
I've been winterizing my 1996 Safari that way for 15 years and I've had no freeze damage.
(However that might not work on all RVs).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
... The only thing that didn't go as planned was the ice cube dispenser. I saw a video posted on another thread where you take off the housing on the end of the ice cube maker and pull off, then using a jumper wire across "V to L" should make the motor pull water out of the line and also using the compressor to push all remaining. Didn't work at all. Oh well I'm pretty sure everything will be good to go..
You really need to get water out of the ice maker water valve. The process in the video worked for me. The jumper should open water valve behind the refrigerator, and either use air to displace all water, or pump antifreeze in. If you had any water left in the valve it would be damaged.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Don't forget your outside faucet, if you have one.

Lori-
Old 12-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Monacoach
I've been winterizing my 1996 Safari that way for 15 years and I've had no freeze damage.
That is amazing. Do you ever run your water pump? Thats the best way to test for leaks in the spring. If it comes on every few minutes in short bursts, theres a leak. But you have been winterizing the wrong way for 15 years and getting away with it. I guess dont fix whats not broke....keep doing what works for that coach but if you change coaches you might want to think about winterizing with air or antifreeze cause your next coach might not have magic unfreezable plumbing
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #13

We are blessed by living in Houston area, we never had to winterize. Besides we use the Coach about once a month on average

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Monacoach
I am constantly amazed (or maybe disappointed?) by people that assume because they haven't managed to tear anything up using the processes they use, that there's ANY expectation for others (who may not be as skilled or have the same understanding of the systems involved) to have the same luck.

I would ask people without a very good understanding of how EVERY component used in the water system functions, that they not try to blow one out without back filling with anti freeze afterward. These guys that say they can do the job reliably without that step are either lucky, spend a lot of time going from appliance to appliance, or they don't store their coach in an area with serious, months long freezing weather.

Last, not one of them will guarantee you will have the same success at damage free winterizing using their processes. I would advise a lot of caution on the part of anyone trying. Plumbing repairs can be very difficult (or expensive!) to accomplish and anti freeze is cheap. Not trying to scare anyone, and I don't own any stock in any anti freeze company. Just sharing the experience I saw every spring for the 20 years I messed with these things for a living....

Tags
winter