RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #1

1st post, 1st TT, 20FQ and questions.

Hello,
Bought my first Travel Trailer this past Sunday. I finally found a reasonably priced 2014 ORV 20FQ that is in very nice condition.

I'm getting quotes for an 18' x 36' walled metal RV cover to keep it nice, but to make sure it stays leak free I also want to clean and treat the roof as well as add a couple Fan-Tastic fans and then re-caulk the roof, trim and lights.

Any recommendations for roof cleaner and treatment?

Any recommendations on caulk for roof and around trim and outdoor lights?

Thanks
Ken

Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dicor makes roof caulk and has some nice videos on their website. Easy to use.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Whatever you use on the roof to protect it, make sure you follow the directions closely. Some will tell you that they can last up to six months, but then you read the finer print on the back of the bottle and it says up to three months if it's very sunny or humid. I don't know about most folks, but in the summer, where can we go that not sunny or humid?

Dicor makes roof protectant, but som do a lot of other companies. Just be prepared to get up there about every three months outside of the winter months and you'll be fine.

I've heard a lot of people use Murphy's oil soap to clean. I'm gonna try out Best rubber roof cleaner and UV blocker this weekend.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Thank you for your help and information.
There are so many products on the market, some are spray and forget, spray and rinse, wash and treat at the same time and I also saw one that was a once a year treatment. It makes my head swim.

I looked at quite a few trailers in Western Washington and even put money on a beautiful Arctic Fox 25s and while I was driving to pick it up the next morning I received a call telling me that when they went into the trailer that morning they found a puddle of water under the skylight. They gave me my money back.

I had to drive 7 hours to get this one in Idaho from the 2nd owner. He bought it a year ago to take his elderly Mother camping, but her health declined so fast that he never used it. It came with NIB Easy Lift, 2 new Interstate deep cycles to go with the one that was already on the trailer as well as a bunch of other new items.

He had never washed or treated the roof, but it was the cleanest roof I had seen on a used trailer. Maybe Idaho is easier on roofs than Western Washington.

There are a few spots on the roof that are ready to be re-caulked so I want to do everything at the same time.

Also, along the corner seams, the putty caulk is starting to work it’s way out. What product do you recommend to do the corner seams?

What product do you recommend to go around the exterior lights and around the exterior items like refrigerator, furnace and water heater covers?

What product do you recommend for cleaning the awning?

Thank you for your help.
Ken
Old 04-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you use a silicone caulk for sealing, you'll never be able to get anything to stick at that spot again without thoroughly removing all the silicone that will be left on the surfaces.

Dicor sells a product called lap sealant. One is self levelling, the other for vertical surfaces. It is a good product to use on the roofing material and the things protruding through the roof.

For non roofing surfaces that are compatible with it, I have heard great things about Geocel Pro Flex Rv sealant.

With all of these kinds of things, prep is the most important step.

Clean the awning with a car wash brush on a long pole and a very mild cleaner. Then protect it with a UV blocker.

I wouldn't trust something that claims to last a full year on the roof if it doesn't go on almost like paint.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Weekend Roamer

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Hand clean the spots for re-seal and get things sealed. I use Dicor lap for up top (horizontal - self leveling) and ProFlex clear for sides (vertical surfaces).

The butyl squish outs look nasty but can be cut back with plastic putty knife and softened/cleaned with mineral spirits. These squish outs are good, but attract dirt like nobody's business - so minimizing the surface exposed collecting dirt is ok but don't cause yourself future grief with trying to cover that stuff with something else - just accept it and enjoy. If there are gaps/cracks that water could penetrate, then of course seal those up.

When you're confident everything is sealed well, then wash away to your heart's content with normal soapy water and soft scrub brush. Seems every time I used fancy special cleaners, they oddly made things dirtier faster. Bleach cleaners can appear to work great on awnings but it also slowly eats away at the material too ... so your choice - maximize life or cleanest looking after wash.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

I want to thank everyone for their help, I really appreciate it.
Looks like I’ll be heading to Camping World this coming week.

Any brands of cleaners and protectant better than others?
Any I should avoid?

Thanks again
Ken
Old 04-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used LA AWESOME cleaner based on suggestions on this forum. It is available locally at the Dollar Tree. There are many different types and some contain bleach. I used a lemon colored one that does not contain bleach and it did a great job. Took two bottles to clean the entire roof, and it cleaned well with no real scrubbing. I sprayed the cleaner full strength on the roof and then used a sponge mob to clean the surface. The next day I sprayed the roof with 303 protectant. I will need to respray about every three months, but I am good with that.

I was very pleased with the outcome.

Wally
Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unless Camping World is the only place you want to buy these things because they are the only game in town, you will probably find the prices there are much higher than with an online retailer. I use CW and other RV shops as a place to do research first.

I bought the Best RV roof cleaner and UV blocker at the local to where I'm at now Thompson RV shop because I couldn't get a better price for it online.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Thank you for the information and help.
As far as Camping World goes, I do have other options like RV sales lots as well as Walmart and online, but first I need to get edjumacated and learn for other people’s mistakes and successes before I start buying.

The last thing I want to do is damage the membrane, finishes or create a bunch of hard work that could have been much easier had I just asked people that had been there and done that some questions.

Sometimes the most expensive is the best and sometimes it’s just okay, but I believe the opinions of people that have used these products is more valuable than the manufacturer’s ad.

Thank you both for your help.
Ken
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #11

TyCreek,
I see you are using an F250 to pull your 20FQ.
What year and what engine are you using?
Are you happy with it?

I have a 1988 F250 HD XLT Lariat 4x4 with 7.5 engine. I just past the 19,000 original mile mark going to Lewiston Idaho Monday to pick up my 2014 20FQ.

I got the best mileage ever going to Lewiston 10.35 mpg
Coming back home with the trailer I got the worst mileage ever a 5.5 mpg for 2 tanks and a little over 7 for 2 tanks.

The 5.5 was when I started the big climbs where I dropped to 45mph. Giving me some serious thoughts of dropping a Cummins into it.

Ken
Old 04-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Weekend Roamer

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
TyCreek,
I see you are using an F250 to pull your 20FQ.
What year and what engine are you using?
Are you happy with it?
hum... got it before the trailer and after selling the motorhome so a couple years old now, it must be a 2017, whenever they started calling them alumiduty. Got the 6.2 gasser this time around. Haven't experienced lack of power anywhere we've traveled so far and real unhappy sets in fast for me if I can't do the speed limit

Previous CTDs were great too but I always felt bad when they just sat waiting to pull whatever it was we had at the time. The 6.2 is happy to sit in the garage until its next outing and its usable power to the road seems quite similar to CTD I had mid 90's and more than a 7.3 I had for a short time. Sure was nice at -25 to start on first crank like ya whatever... and cheap services make up for the little extra fuel delta.

I would have swapped back day 1 pulling the ORV if even a remote doubt entered my thought. Now I wouldn't even do straight across trade for any of the 3 diesels today. So yes! Quite happy!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
hum... got it before the trailer and after selling the motorhome so a couple years old now, it must be a 2017, whenever they started calling them alumiduty. Got the 6.2 gasser this time around. Haven't experienced lack of power anywhere we've traveled so far and real unhappy sets in fast for me if I can't do the speed limit

Previous CTDs were great too but I always felt bad when they just sat waiting to pull whatever it was we had at the time. The 6.2 is happy to sit in the garage until its next outing and its usable power to the road seems quite similar to CTD I had mid 90's and more than a 7.3 I had for a short time. Sure was nice at -25 to start on first crank like ya whatever... and cheap services make up for the little extra fuel delta.

I would have swapped back day 1 pulling the ORV if even a remote doubt entered my thought. Now I wouldn't even do straight across trade for any of the 3 diesels today. So yes! Quite happy!
Thank you so much, gives me much to think about.
My truck is used as a truck and as a result in 31 years it has been driven an average of 600 miles a year.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
Weekend Roamer

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
So Ken, I liked the 460s but always thought they needed another gear in there. When looking for a good/nice truck, the v10 or 460 were definitely part of my months of looking. Crazy enough, in the end, new just seemed to be a better deal for a few $K more.