Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #1

2011 windriver closet fail-Q's on ceiling construction

The closet rod in our 2011 windriver 230rks came completely out o the ceiling ----- Thinking the screws were just into the foam of the ceiling. Any one know how thick the foam is? Is there a gap or just the ceiling plywood? Is the roof plywood 1/2 or 3/4"?

Has anyone found a more secure method?

Thinking of trying to brace from ends except mostly luann--so needs some jiggering for good support ? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8770.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	166514Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8771.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	166515

Ideas welcome
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You could try using a stud-finder on the ceiling.

But if the hanger is not too long, something on each end at the walls might brace it well enough. But ours isn't long enough to extend to the walls, so that wouldn't work for us.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMeister View Post
The closet rod in our 2011 windriver 230rks came completely out o the ceiling ----- Thinking the screws were just into the foam of the ceiling. Any one know how thick the foam is? Is there a gap or just the ceiling plywood? Is the roof plywood 1/2 or 3/4"?

Has anyone found a more secure method?

Thinking of trying to brace from ends except mostly luann--so needs some jiggering for good support ? Attachment 166514Attachment 166515

Ideas welcome
I've installed 3 steel (expandable) closet rods in our WR. They are attached to the sidewalls of their closet space with 3/4" #8 wood screws. In the WR they have survived, so far, about 30,000 miles of jostling.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
I've installed 3 steel (expandable) closet rods in our WR. They are attached to the sidewalls of their closet space with 3/4" #8 wood screws. In the WR they have survived, so far, about 30,000 miles of jostling.

Bob

Thanks, my concern is that the left side is Luan
that is open to the wash basin. If there was a good crossbar it could work. Thinking of getting 3/4 cut from corner brace to corner brace and using to either braise or screw into. Rot wall is luan to vertices closet but there are shelving braces 8-12" down. Just not good bracing or supports for screwing into.
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cheep construction!

I would run a 1/by ceiling to floor. Then attach a new rod to the stringer. The floor would be doing most of the support (assuming that is not just a luan panel as well.) I personally do not care for those rods....plastic hangers are a bear to use in them.
Best bet is to find a stud to attach to.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Cheep construction!

I would run a 1/by ceiling to floor. Then attach a new rod to the stringer. The floor would be doing most of the support (assuming that is not just a luan panel as well.) I personally do not care for those rods....plastic hangers are a bear to use in them.
Best bet is to find a stud to attach to.
Good solution! My experience is that horizontal screws in thin material (like the luan) can hold a substantial load. Horizontal screws in a 1" vertical stringer would hold a lot of serious heavy duty coats.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are supposed to be reinforcing metal strips wherever things are screwed into the walls. These are thin rectangular metal plates a couple of inches wide and a few inches long from what I saw on the tour. They're actually laminated into the walls at various places to support specific attachments. If those are there you should be able to get some good support by driving screws into them. Maybe they're missing or the closet rod installation missed them? It would probably be worth a few minutes exploring with a stud finder (and maybe a simple magnet, haven't tried).
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonKen View Post
There are supposed to be reinforcing metal strips wherever things are screwed into the walls. These are thin rectangular metal plates a couple of inches wide and a few inches long from what I saw on the tour. They're actually laminated into the walls at various places to support specific attachments. If those are there you should be able to get some good support by driving screws into them. Maybe they're missing or the closet rod installation missed them? It would probably be worth a few minutes exploring with a stud finder (and maybe a simple magnet, haven't tried).
I just noticed you have a 2011. It's possible this is a newer feature. Whether or no, I hope you find a good solution!
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, driver