Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #1

Exclamation 2016 creekside 27 bhs

Have a 2016 creekside 27 bhs.
Unit was returned to factory in first 12 months for water leaking into underbelly on the outboard side of the frame rails. It was found that the darco wrap was not attached to the upoer side of the floor frame,
Factory pulled all the metal skirting and j trim to resecure darco wrap and replace all the wet insulation.
Water continues to penetrate these areas. Unit now out of warranty and I have given up on further communication with ORV.
Through further investigation have found that water penetrates edge of skirting j trim and enters voids.
It also has been entering exterior screws that hold front compartment doors on.
Front fibreglass cap side moulding water was entering trim at roof level then tracking down into floor insulation.
Looked at new units poor sealing and same issues as mine evident.
Recommend you check outboard floor voids to ensure they are not full of water.

Great components are never any good if the care of assembly is missing.
An issue endemic to the RV industry.
Lafrance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #2

I had to return mine for the same reason with the wrap, 2016 as well. They managed to fix it the same day. I haven't had anything major other than that.

Can't speak to your other issues but can say that during my walkdown during purchase I asked the guy what advice he could give me and he told me to inspect the caulking often and pointed out a newish trailer onsite (other manufacturer) that was totaled due to water damage. I've been doing that and have been amazed at some of the things that have turned up. These trailers shift a lot and I have found a couple substantial gaps. Imagine it would happen to all manufacturers
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #3

Can you explain to a newbie, in plain language (pics would help), what I should be looking at/for when I do my delivery inspection in March? Not sure what "wrap" you're referring to or what "outboard compartments"?

I appreciate it!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #4

there's a lot of checklists available all over the internet if you want one for your walk down.
The wrap....underneath the trailer in between the frame rails is enclosed with some sort of corrugated plastic. outside of the frame rails is insulated but only covered with a barrier a lot like lumber wrap. On the trailers with skirting the wrap is supposed to come up the sidewall a ways and secured before the skirting is attached. Mine was done after the skirting and didn't come up the side so when pulling in the rain water was getting up under the wrap. I only noticed cause it hadn't rained in a while and we made a pit stop on an incline one day and water was dripping out from under my trailer, found out the insulation was wet on that side.

I've found 1/4 inch gaps where my front cap attaches to the side wall and above my door and numerous smaller ones during caulking inspections....seems crazy, but when you figure its sat in 110 degree sun for weeks and down in the 20's in the winter with a bunch of different types of materials things are gonna expand and shift differently...think that's probably universal.

I don't know if they should be using a better caulk or something during assembly but I've been using proflex to go over any suspect areas (including the top of the j trim on the skirting) and have been really impressed with that stuff
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #5

Well described sparechange.
Recently i looked at multiple ORV products sitting on a lot in The Seattle area.
Many gaps and voids in sealer.
I have left the insulation out of mine for the winter to ensure I have no further leaks.
I will replace it all this spring.
Proflex is a great choice but its tough to remove.
Lafrance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #6

Thanks - that's clear now.

Our Nash had been "over caulked" to the point that potential buyers were turned off by the unsightly globs in places. I told the guy who eventually bought the trailer that I haven't had any issues with leaks and he can take a knife to them AFTER I get the cash.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unfortunately all RVs have these same issues. That is why they suggest a thorough inspection and caulking touch-up every season, or at least every 6 months. It is also why it is better to have a full walk on roof. Hard to do maintenance and inspections if you can't get on the roof.

As to using better materials for caulking and sealing, there is always a trade off between durability and ease of re-application. You can get some silicones that will last a bit longer than Pro-flex or Dicor but then you Must completely remove the old caulk and clean with solvents before re-applying. Way bigger job that way and it may only last a few months longer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote