Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #85

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think the power wagon has a pretty low payload and towing numbers but it is a very cool truck. Probably better than the Land Cruiser but not sure how much you gain. I can tell you that the Ram 2500 diesel is a towing machine but off road it isn’t near the machine my Tundra was.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #86

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post

I’m torn about the tv. I’d still like to hit a trail once in a while. We did some great trails in Moab over Thanksgiving and I’d hate to stop doing that.

Anyone have thoughts about the Power Wagon?
Here's my 2 cents worth from my personal experience, having started towing with a Tahoe, then upgrading to a Tundra, and now to a 3/4 ton Ram. If you are buying a new TV, go at least 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. The old saying "you can never have too much TV" is mostly true. Will the 1/2 ton do the job? With your trailer, it probably will. It's definitely a step up from your LC. But the 3/4 ton will give you more headroom on your capacities and will quite possibly make for a more relaxed towing experience. In my opinion, definitely worth the little bit of extra $$$ over a 1/2 ton.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #87

I wish I could sweet talk the missus into this:

https://www.rockymountainyetijackson...0312947bd5.htm
Old 04-21-2018, 12:44 AM   #88

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I stopped at a Ford dealership this afternoon to look again at the F150. It really hits all the spots: comfortable 2nd row, 36 gallon tank, max hitch weight of 1,222 lbs., turbo...

Here’s a question though:

LC max tow = 8,500 lbs
LC max hitch = 850 lbs

F150 max tow = 12,220 lbs
F150 max hitch = 1,222 lbs

Do they start with hitch capacity and divide by 10% to derive max tow, or do they start with max tow and multiply by 10% to derive max hitch?
The hitch capacity is not used to determine tow ratings. Most hitches are rated to handle more than the truck - otherwise it would become the weak link.

To Determine the truck's tow rating, they take the CGWR and subtract the curb wt of the truck and maybe a 150 lb driver. So the tow rating INCLUDES the payload of the truck. This is where many 1/2 T trucks get into trouble esp with TTs with large tongue wts. Even with a WD hitch, the tongue wt is spread over both Truck axles (without WD hitch the front axle usually loses wt while the rear axle gains wt - the total tongue wt is found by adding the amount of front axle loss to the rear axle gain) the WD hitch also puts a small amount of weight back on the trailer axles - another item you need to look out for so as not to overload them.

The trick to all of this is to select a TT so that none of these gross wt ratings are exceeded - it is possible to be under your CGWR and over your truck GVWR. One of my early rules of thumb was to find the CGWR of the tow vehicle and then subtract the GVWR of the tow vehicle and use that number as a not to exceed GVWR of the trailer. Example CGWR of 14,000 lbs, GVWR is 7000lbs (14,000-7,000=7,000) so I would go looking at TTs with a GVWR of around 7,000 lbs.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #89

Quote:
I wish I could sweet talk the missus into this:

https://www.rockymountainyetijackson...0312947bd5.htm
Nice, but you'd have a better chance getting this one and customizing your own. It is the right color, (IMHO) Black Forest Green Pearlcoat. "Look how much money we saved...!" Road Trip, they've got about 6 similar leftover 2017s.
https://www.yorkchryslerdodgejeepram...UR5PL2HG715736

If you prefer white, like your LC, This would match the Creekside nicely; Limited, MegaCab, RamBox Cargo.
https://www.martinswantychryslerdodg...c0d60f9308.htm

Kinda like this one too: Laramie Crew with lots of options, off road package with Bilstein shocks, Ram Box, etc.
https://www.larrygreencjd.com/new/Ra...8c24a875e0.htm

Edit: Whew, this one oughta' check off the boxes...
https://www.earnhardtcjd.com/new-Gil...UR5PL5HG780581
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Nice, but you'd have a better chance getting this one and customizing your own. It is the right color, (IMHO) Black Forest Green Pearlcoat. "Look how much money we saved...!" Road Trip, they've got about 6 similar leftover 2017s.
https://www.yorkchryslerdodgejeepram...UR5PL2HG715736

If you prefer white, like your LC, This would match the Creekside nicely; Limited, MegaCab, RamBox Cargo.
https://www.martinswantychryslerdodg...c0d60f9308.htm

Kinda like this one too: Laramie Crew with lots of options, off road package with Bilstein shocks, Ram Box, etc.
https://www.larrygreencjd.com/new/Ra...8c24a875e0.htm

Edit: Whew, this one oughta' check off the boxes...
https://www.earnhardtcjd.com/new-Gil...UR5PL5HG780581
Just fyi, literally the first thing that caught my eye when I clicked the last link was the white Power Wagon in the background.

Started a new thread for the TV search: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/help-...ml#post4149227
Old 04-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #91

Man...I've been following your posts. Was hoping it would all work out with your 21DBS and 200!

I'm also looking to get a 21DBS - TV is a 2008 Sequoia. REAL tongue weight is a bummer. I may just go for it and see how it does. Prefer to keep TV.
CO_Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Native View Post
Man...I've been following your posts. Was hoping it would all work out with your 21DBS and 200!

I'm also looking to get a 21DBS - TV is a 2008 Sequoia. REAL tongue weight is a bummer. I may just go for it and see how it does. Prefer to keep TV.
You will not be disappointed by the 21DBS. The Sequoia might disappoint, but if you get 2 batteries instead of 4 that might make a slight difference. The real issue is the fresh water tank and slide being forward of the TT axles. You can always travel with no fresh water, that might help some, but then what's the point of the big tank? At least for those who dry camp a lot. If you mostly do campgrounds, usually you can fill up at there but not always - last year we spent a few nights at Crater Lake and got an email letting us know that their taps were all shut off due to drought, so we would only have whatever we could bring with us.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #93

Quote:

I’m torn about the tv. I’d still like to hit a trail once in a while. We did some great trails in Moab over Thanksgiving and I’d hate to stop doing that.

Anyone have thoughts about the Power Wagon?
Did Steel Bender, amongst others, last season. Love Moab!
Do I understand that your 1200lbs EQ still doesn't transfer enough weight to your TV front axle? Aside from the LC capacity issue, just trying to figure out what model hitch is best.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Did Steel Bender, amongst others, last season. Love Moab!
Do I understand that your 1200lbs EQ still doesn't transfer enough weight to your TV front axle? Aside from the LC capacity issue, just trying to figure out what model hitch is best.
That's what the scale suggests, as does the squat. The Blue Ox Swaypro didn't do any better...not sure what's going on.

Even if that extra rear axle weight was moved forward it would only put me back within max specs and, again, without food, clothes, wife, and kids in the figures.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Native View Post

Does that year Sequoia have the load leveling suspension? I had the 05' 4Runner where that year it was only available on the Limited trim. Starting in 06' it could be added as an option on other trim levels. I just thought the larger Sequoia would include it. It was to help lever the vehicle when loaded.

Our 4Runner with the smaller 4.7 (V-8) had a 7200 towing max. I was about 4500-4600 (24') wet on one RV trailer and 5400 lb. wet (25') on the 2nd RV trailer it was used for. It was perfectly fine doing the job, but I wouldn't have gone any larger.

That Creekside 21dbs has a relatively heavy tongue for only a 25' trailer. The frig is behind the rear axle, all depends what you store in the rear bunk area.

We have the Timber Ridge 24 rkd, with a equally heavy tongue, but it's a rear kitchen which will help take some weight off the tongue when loaded and the water tank is near the rear. I also converted the cabinet under the frig which is on the rear wall to my tool cabinet.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #96

More options Leaf:
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/04...r-duty-pickup/

As for me, I'm going to hold out as long as possible. My '06 Titan has served me pretty well. I'll kill it before I move on.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
More options Leaf:
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/04...r-duty-pickup/

As for me, I'm going to hold out as long as possible. My '06 Titan has served me pretty well. I'll kill it before I move on.
Oh no you didn’t!!

That’s a beauty.
GoLeafsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Does that year Sequoia have the load leveling suspension? I had the 05' 4Runner where that year it was only available on the Limited trim. Starting in 06' it could be added as an option on other trim levels. I just thought the larger Sequoia would include it. It was to help lever the vehicle when loaded.

Yes - that will definitely help. How much is only a guess...