RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

2019 Creekside 21DBS Finally Home!

...well, almost. Finishing touches being put on at DDRV but I did get to see her today to take some measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D76ACE8D-A900-4383-96B0-FEE5AA364628.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	197643   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F38F22A-5420-487E-BEAF-9F37DA96B750.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	197644  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #2

Congrats.
Looks like one of the changes from 18 to 19 was going from 2 step entry to 3?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GoLeafsGo: are you going to pull your 21dbs with the Land cruiser?
I pull my 21dbs with a Tundra but have contemplated pulling with my 2005 4Runner (4.7V8, 7200lb towing capacity)
Your thoughts...
Dano97470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Congrats.
Looks like one of the changes from 18 to 19 was going from 2 step entry to 3?
I saw a couple in Washington last summer but don't remember how many steps they had. Maybe something to do with the off-road package?

I took a bunch of measurements yesterday so if you need to know anything let me know. It should be home by the weekend but I went out to measure some things as I'm talking to a concrete guy about an RV pad in the back yard.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano97470 View Post
GoLeafsGo: are you going to pull your 21dbs with the Land cruiser?
I pull my 21dbs with a Tundra but have contemplated pulling with my 2005 4Runner (4.7V8, 7200lb towing capacity)
Your thoughts...
I feel like I'm on a "Most Wanted" poster for the payload sticker police around here, so keep that in mind, but since you asked I'll answer your question in a round-about way:

I feel that with a 5.7V8 and 8,500lb. towing capacity the Land Cruiser will do a great job. The only concern I had was the payload sticker, which says 1285lbs. All of us put together are under 600lbs., which leaves 700lbs.

I stressed about that until I thought rationally and visited two hitch shops in the area to talk to people who actually work with these numbers for a living and not just give advice and pass judgement on the internet. I also did more research on LCs and how they are used around the globe and realized that the sticker is a product of our nanny state. Even here in the US there are companies that put 3,000lbs. of armor on Land Cruisers, beef up the suspension, stick a new sticker on them, and Bob's your uncle.

I feel comfortable that with a Blue Ox Swaypro WDH (1,000lb. spring bars), LT E-rated tires, and aftermarket HD suspension, the LC will tow the 21DBS with no issues. I also plan on swapping the trailer drum brakes for disc brakes in the next month or so in preparation for a trip to Colorado, as well as re-gearing the LC to 4.88 gears. That last modification should not only help with towing but will also help fuel economy which dipped when I went with the bigger tires.

I know some people will read this post and say I should just get a RAM, but I prefer the reliability of the Toyota, not to mention how much more practical it is for a family of five around town, on a long road trip, and exploring trails in a new area when camping. That 3rd row is a sanity saver when towing 8+ hours with 3 kids.

Dry weight + full water tank = 6,300lbs
Add propane and batteries = 6,500 lbs

The rest depends on you. I know some will say not to count the fresh tank as being full, but I know from 20,000 miles of experience that I will travel with about that amount split between fresh, grey, and black at some point, so might as well account for it.

Toyota recommends 9%-11% for tongue weight, so even if I add another 1,000lbs. of crap (which I won't) and load the trailer to it's max GVWR of 7,500lbs., 11% will put 825 lbs. on the hitch, that's dead weight yet to be distributed by the WDH.

Why the long winded response? I'm not a professional to be giving advice online, but I recommend you do some number crunching, and keep it realistic.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
I saw a couple in Washington last summer but don't remember how many steps they had. Maybe something to do with the off-road package?

I took a bunch of measurements yesterday so if you need to know anything let me know. It should be home by the weekend but I went out to measure some things as I'm talking to a concrete guy about an RV pad in the back yard.
I have the offroad x4 pkg and two steps, so they changed the step for some unknown reason.
Do you have any plans to secure your AGM batteries? Did you end up going with 6v Lifeline 4ct? At 65#each, aren't you adding 200-300lbs (with propane) to your dry tongue wt?
Do you think there's ample interior storage space for your families gear, drygoods/foods?
PDI still to be done?
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
I feel like I'm on a "Most Wanted" poster for the payload sticker police around here, so keep that in mind, but since you asked I'll answer your question in a round-about way:

I feel that with a 5.7V8 and 8,500lb. towing capacity the Land Cruiser will do a great job. The only concern I had was the payload sticker, which says 1285lbs. All of us put together are under 600lbs., which leaves 700lbs.

I stressed about that until I thought rationally and visited two hitch shops in the area to talk to people who actually work with these numbers for a living and not just give advice and pass judgement on the internet. I also did more research on LCs and how they are used around the globe and realized that the sticker is a product of our nanny state. Even here in the US there are companies that put 3,000lbs. of armor on Land Cruisers, beef up the suspension, stick a new sticker on them, and Bob's your uncle.

I feel comfortable that with a Blue Ox Swaypro WDH (1,000lb. spring bars), LT E-rated tires, and aftermarket HD suspension, the LC will tow the 21DBS with no issues. I also plan on swapping the trailer drum brakes for disc brakes in the next month or so in preparation for a trip to Colorado, as well as re-gearing the LC to 4.88 gears. That last modification should not only help with towing but will also help fuel economy which dipped when I went with the bigger tires.

I know some people will read this post and say I should just get a RAM, but I prefer the reliability of the Toyota, not to mention how much more practical it is for a family of five around town, on a long road trip, and exploring trails in a new area when camping. That 3rd row is a sanity saver when towing 8+ hours with 3 kids.

Dry weight + full water tank = 6,300lbs
Add propane and batteries = 6,500 lbs

The rest depends on you. I know some will say not to count the fresh tank as being full, but I know from 20,000 miles of experience that I will travel with about that amount split between fresh, grey, and black at some point, so might as well account for it.

Toyota recommends 9%-11% for tongue weight, so even if I add another 1,000lbs. of crap (which I won't) and load the trailer to it's max GVWR of 7,500lbs., 11% will put 825 lbs. on the hitch, that's dead weight yet to be distributed by the WDH.

Why the long winded response? I'm not a professional to be giving advice online, but I recommend you do some number crunching, and keep it realistic.

Good luck!

Hey... if your a true Leaf’s fan you can handle the criticism. Keep your head up..Tim Horton was a Maple Leaf before it became a Canadian coffee shop institution for double doubles.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Hey... if your a true Leaf’s fan you can handle the criticism. Keep your head up..Tim Horton was a Maple Leaf before it became a Canadian coffee shop institution for double doubles.
Coops
Truer words have never been spoken. You'd think that after so many decades of kicks in the nads I'd be more immune
Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I have the offroad x4 pkg and two steps, so they changed the step for some unknown reason.
Do you have any plans to secure your AGM batteries? Did you end up going with 6v Lifeline 4ct? At 65#each, aren't you adding 200-300lbs (with propane) to your dry tongue wt?
Do you think there's ample interior storage space for your families gear, drygoods/foods?
PDI still to be done?
PDI to go, but I did spend an hour or so in it yesterday.

I will find out about the tongue weight soon enough and report back, along with axle weights, etc. I ordered the GC2-4 box and saw a post on here where someone used steel bars with a lock to secure it to the 4-battery-tray.

http://www.centuryplastics.ca/images...ment_Boxes.pdf

The definite limiter is storage space, but that should help with keeping the overall weight down. Every trip in the past we ended up bringing way more stuff than we actually used or wore, so we'll just have to be smart about how we pack.

I was pleasantly surprised by how large the storage under the bed is. I remembered it being very small in the 2018s, but this one is 6 feet by 2 feet. The only thing I'll have to think through is cutlery and cooking utensils as there is no cutlery drawer on the kitchen side.

I was bummed when I originally found out they were going to a booth dinette, but now that I sat in it I'm thrilled. Each bench is almost 4.5 feet long, meaning the wife and I can sit on one side elbows and knees out, while the kids can do the same on the other side. (I'm sure there will be squabbling about who sits in the middle, lol). The other benefit is that this allows for a huge table that goes all the way to the window, 4'3" x 3'.

That second pic above is my favorite, and the reason we went with this floor plan instead of the 23DBS, namely, not only do you get a bigger dinette than the 23, but if it's raining out and we're watching a movie, some of us can lounge on the bed while others sit at the dinette. In the 23DBS there is a wall unit separating the two areas and if all of us wanted to enjoy a movie together some of us would have to sit on the floor I guess.

It's a small trailer that feels big on the inside, at least compared to our previous TT.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #10

I was contemplating doing a custom vented battery box in the rear storage. This would offset overly high tongue wt, but would obviously also necessitate rerouting wiring.
Re storage,
If ORV increased the under bed storage from '18 to '19, it must have come from equivalent reductions to passthrough/frt garage storage area?
Looking forward to hearing your specs.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #11

I looked at the 23dbs too. The added weight and length to "gain" the wall/console and outside kitchen just weren't worth it. I did come super close to buying the 23bhs, which was better in some respects, and lighter tongue weight (600lbs). Deal fell apart over a measly request for including a $200 fan upgrade!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

Also, we never use the micro in our other camper, so I may end up just removing the one in the ORV. Storage space for drygoods was a concern from looking at the floorplan/photos to be sure.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #13

We still like the convenience of the microwave, but I did consider doing that as well. In fact, I’m installing a 2,000W inverter which will make the whole trailer “hot” at the press of a button so that we could use the microwave. It’s the little things that make my wife happy and willing to RV. That’s worth the expense.

If it’s really an issue and I can’t come up with a creative solution I might look into a convection microwave and remove the oven for extra storage. A lot of the Airstreams do that.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would die without my microwave.

Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote