RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #1

2020 OutdoorRV Valance and shade fall off wall

We picked-up our new 2020 Outdoor RV BackCountry 21FBS today.

Less than 100 miles from the dealership, the entire window shade and valance over the main dinette literally fell off the wall and was sitting on the table. The tiny 1/2” wood screws ripped from the wall by the weight of the valance.

Has anyone else had this problem? Not a great start to the travel trailer world after owning Class A’s for many years. Especially ironic is a brand that advertises itself as high quality and capable of going off road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C9A1119-B221-485D-9A40-3CE2067175C0.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	263450  

ColoradoRFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have never understood why ORV doesn't use something more substantial for attaching their valences to the 1/4" plywood inner wall.

If one of mine completely fell off the wall, like yours, think I'd try replacing all the screws with a big screw-in drywall anchor+screw. But for individual instances I'm just stuffing the holes with wood/bamboo splinters and epoxy. That seems to work.
Sorry about your problems. You are not alone it seems.

brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would be on the phone with someone at the factory about this. How most units can go on rough freeways and never have anything come off the wall and you unit sheds the valance on day one is just not normal. Something was missed or done wrong on your unit that the others had done different.
BTW, congrats on the new ORV trailer and welcome here.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our 2019 creekside had the valance break. They use very small screws to provide the tension for raising/ lowering. The screw just popped out and there was nothing there for it to bite on to put it back. I had to jam bits of twigs with super glue into the hole to get the screw to hold again. I'm also surprised at how many of the drawer and cabinet catches were misaligned at the factory. Almost all of them show evidence of being screwed in multiple times. This resulted in the catches not holding the drawers because the screws were in oversized holes.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

None of mine have fallen off on our 2019 25RDS. I probably have over 6,000+ miles of travel this year. Of course 3 of the vertical cord covers are crooked.
We looked at a few Forest River wildcats before getting our ORV. One had the valance laying on the dinette cushion. That was from only a 70 mile trip from the factory to the dealer. Soured my taste for them. Guess it really doesn't matter in the end. They all seem to have some problems of one kind or another.
Whats worse 3 crooked ones or one that fell off?
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #6

A small half inch screw top hold up what is easily 10+ pounds?. Willing to bet the screw was not the correct ones. I agree with others, fill the holes with a good solid epoxy and use a longer and maybe a larger screw.

Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

who to call

ORV service, Kevin or Todd: 541 962-1866.
Kevin has twice been very helpful in response to my questions, one on electrical and one on frame sealing.

Now, we pause for a brief vent: What I can't understand is why they make the bottom support essential for keeping the cables taut. I'd like to take off the valance by the bed, give us more room, but I'll need to figure out how to support the cables. And another thing, what do I do when the cable eventually wears out?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Howard View Post
ORV service, Kevin or Todd: 541 962-1866.
Kevin has twice been very helpful in response to my questions, one on electrical and one on frame sealing.

Now, we pause for a brief vent: What I can't understand is why they make the bottom support essential for keeping the cables taut. I'd like to take off the valance by the bed, give us more room, but I'll need to figure out how to support the cables. And another thing, what do I do when the cable eventually wears out?
Here's a solution. Just screw the cord tensioner into the exterior wall. Thats how all of my previous RV's have been done.
Whats funny in a sad way is that all of my cord tensioners are screwed into vertical cord covers except the rear one over the dinette. They screwed those into the exterior wall. Go figure. I still look at those and ask "Why"
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Same happened to us, but our large valance shade at the rear is held in place with special snap clip hardware. The valance was held the same as all the rest. Our screws go up into cabinets, and they were too short. The other valance was short screwed to the luan. Same repair. Luan does not provide much bite for hardware to thread in.

To correct the valence issue, I added some angle braces along the length to beef up the unit long with glue on the screws before seating them.

I think vibration and the way I was pulling the roll down shade from the side contributed to the problem. Now I just pull the shades from the middle only. Looks like ORV has gone to pleated shades with drawstrings?

No issues in a year since I corrected it. Good old Yankee ingenuity does it!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Have never understood why ORV doesn't use something more substantial for attaching their valences to the 1/4" plywood inner wall.

If one of mine completely fell off the wall, like yours, think I'd try replacing all the screws with a big screw-in drywall anchor+screw. But for individual instances I'm just stuffing the holes with wood/bamboo splinters and epoxy. That seems to work.
Sorry about your problems. You are not alone it seems.
Thanks - the heavy valance was being supported by just two L-brackets at the top and two on either side at the bottom. I am reinstalling those two and adding a couple more in the middle - i measured and the screws are 1” so I will keep that length using slightly larger diameter plus wood glue.

After 20 years of owning two class a motorhomes, we are trying to downsize to a trailer so this is our first experience. I was also terribly disappointed to see the range was fastened with only two drywall screws in the wrong holes.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #11

Still Unsure About Outdoor RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Here's a solution. Just screw the cord tensioner into the exterior wall. Thats how all of my previous RV's have been done.
Whats funny in a sad way is that all of my cord tensioners are screwed into vertical cord covers except the rear one over the dinette. They screwed those into the exterior wall. Go figure. I still look at those and ask "Why"
Funny our 2000 Tropical National RV is twenty years-old and those tension shades still work fine after raising three boys who used them plenty. Just my wife and I now and it breaks the day we bought it.

These cords are attached into the valance L-bracket screw so per your suggestion I might just place them a little lower on the wall instead - utility over appearance at this point.

The jury is still out on Outdoor RV. After years of reading about them and hearing good things I am not very impressed. We skipped the Titanium Series (which are really nice looking) for a BackCountry with a generator hoping it was more robust for forest road camping.

I was surprised to discover the slide-out is missing the awning cover and the door doesn’t have the anti-slam hinge which is in every video the manufacture puts out about their brand. The good news is all essential systems are working but I am timid about taking on any dirt roads now for fear of what more might come apart.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't get too discouraged with this one event.

There will be other small things come up over the first year you use it. There is no getting away from it. Best thing is that ORV will work with you to resolve issues. Example; Our LCD TV failed after 7 months.....Todd sent us a new one to install right away. Didn't have to involve our dealer at all. I avoid them unless necessary due to their wait times for repairs (weeks).

After the first year you are on your own for small items and repairs. Unless a major appliance fails. Find and fix everything you can in the first 12 months.

The slide awnings are an extra option. I am surprised they don't hang the Lippert door with the friction hinge anymore. We love it.

Do a shake down cruise normally and fix whatever breaks.....you'll be good to go after that.

Watch this new video from YouTube.....ignore Darin's fluff talk and watch the workers in the background do their thing. I am amazed that our rigs do as well as they do!

Welcome to the group, have fun! All of us have gone thru this here.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I try to forget about all the issues I have had. Now I just enjoy that my truck and trailer are paid for. The cost of the new stuff is putting me in shock. My '14s will last another 10 years. Now everything looks great and works great.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
Our 2019 creekside had the valance break. They use very small screws to provide the tension for raising/ lowering. The screw just popped out and there was nothing there for it to bite on to put it back. I had to jam bits of twigs with super glue into the hole to get the screw to hold again. I'm also surprised at how many of the drawer and cabinet catches were misaligned at the factory. Almost all of them show evidence of being screwed in multiple times. This resulted in the catches not holding the drawers because the screws were in oversized holes.
A trailer that is moved down the assembly line and not leveled is much like an empty shoe box with the lid on. Twist it and the lid won’t sit flush. Each time I move my trailer or the humidity is different my bath door can either work properly or get hung up on the plastic track for the privacy curtain on the bedroom. If they’re not leveled and stabilizers in place within the factory, installing panels, doors drawers etc just can’t be consistently installed correctly. Then expecting an installer not to over torque a small screw into 1/4 inch plywood is unreasonable.

Expecting proper screw placement without a self centering jig for alignment, a solid material to screw into and a plumb, level trailer is a formula for failure. The designers and engineers should do better. Expecting a human installer not to set the hinges right over the void left by the pocket screws holding the frame together is apparently also unreasonable?

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outdoor