Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

20FQ Roof Vent question

Hi friends, our closest Outdoors RV dealer is a hundred miles away and we have a question for 20FQ people. We know there is a skylight in the bathroom and a skylight in the dining area, but are there any old fashioned 14” square “roof vents” on the 20FQ anymore? The kind you can put a fantastic fan or a Max Air in to quickly move hot air up and out without using the A/C (because of boondocking). Let us know when you can!
WownFlutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WownFlutter View Post
Hi friends, our closest Outdoors RV dealer is a hundred miles away and we have a question for 20FQ people. We know there is a skylight in the bathroom and a skylight in the dining area, but are there any old fashioned 14” square “roof vents” on the 20FQ anymore? The kind you can put a fantastic fan or a Max Air in to quickly move hot air up and out without using the A/C (because of boondocking). Let us know when you can!

I believe there are two. One in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. The titanium model has fantastic fans in both of those locations with wall mounted controls.
2Glamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

Yes, there are two. One above the bed and one in the bathroom. In my case, both have MaxxAir fans factory installed as an option.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #4

Fan

You would need to wire it for 12 volt. The vents in the bathroom and bed area are not.
Northcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your 20FQ is similar to my 20RD you will find wiring you can connect to at the ceiling light near the vent. There will probably be two yellow wires with a crimp connector and two white wires with a crimp connector. The yellow wires are the positive and the white the negative. I installed a fantastic vent with a remote. Be sure the fantastic fan has a 6" deep garnish/shroud. My fantastic fan garnish was not deep enough to meet up with the fan body. I ordered a 6" garnish on Amazon. $24 shipped.

On Edit: You may need to use a utility knife to score and cut about 3/8" off the 6" garnish to fit.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcal View Post
You would need to wire it for 12 volt. The vents in the bathroom and bed area are not.
??? hum...
My 20FQ bathroom vent had a crappy little loud fan before I swapped it out for a Maxx. So of course there was power to that 14" hole. While doing that swap it looked to me that power wires might run toward the bedroom vent area too.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
20FQ Roof Vents and Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by WownFlutter View Post
Recently attended Outdoors RV rally in Wallowa OR and had the opportunity to personally ask Factory Service Manager about existing wiring/power for Bedroom vent. He answered that the bedroom vent area in a 20FQ Mountain Series TT is prewired for power with gray wire (hot) and white wire (ground) for any aftermarket powered fan. The Titatium series 20FQ TT comes with Maxxfans Deluxe factory installed but all 20FQ's are wired the same, just that the Mountain series only gets a manual opening vent.

I'm ordering a Maxxfan Deluxe 10 speed manual opening fan from Camping World (seems to be the cheapest, free shipping) for my 20FQ that I intend to install myself and connect to the preexisting wiring at the vent opening.

Hope this helps.

J. Friedhoff
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedhoff View Post
Recently attended Outdoors RV rally in Wallowa OR and had the opportunity to personally ask Factory Service Manager about existing wiring/power for Bedroom vent. He answered that the bedroom vent area in a 20FQ Mountain Series TT is prewired for power with gray wire (hot) and white wire (ground) for any aftermarket powered fan. The Titatium series 20FQ TT comes with Maxxfans Deluxe factory installed but all 20FQ's are wired the same, just that the Mountain series only gets a manual opening vent.

I'm ordering a Maxxfan Deluxe 10 speed manual opening fan from Camping World (seems to be the cheapest, free shipping) for my 20FQ that I intend to install myself and connect to the preexisting wiring at the vent opening.

Hope this helps.

J. Friedhoff
Thanks for the info on the prewire to the bedroom vent. Let us know how the install works out. I would like to do the same install with the Maxxfan as well.
Northcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent