Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

21DBS storage

I am looking at the 21dbs. We have had a popup for 3mos and just completed a 5,600 mile 2.5 wk trip. We enjoyed the trip but wanting to move up from a popup. There are seven of us so kinda tight.

My concern is for the 21dbs is it being to small for a family of seven. We are also looking at.a nash 24b but inlike the smaller trailer length. We tow with a 2018 nissan nv 3500sl.
mtlangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

You definitely will not have much "sitting around" room and will have to keep a lot of clothes in duffel bags or suitcases. We did an 8,300 mile trip in July with 5 total, plus a dog, and it was okay. I think 2 more would have been too much unless we only used the trailer for sleeping and toilet stuff. Pop-ups tend to be roomier than small enclosed trailers.

If I were you I'd be looking for something with double bunks, a dinette, and a couch.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #3

You need to also think about your tow vehicle's payload to factor in the weight of 7 passengers, gear, and a tongue weight closer to 1,200 pounds with batteries, propane, water, etc.

A short toy hauler might be worth looking into as they tend to be more roomy and back-end-heavy.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/trail-series-21-trx/

or

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/trail-series-22trx/
Old 09-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #5

The 22trx with the optional 2nd sofa is likely your best bet.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #6

We are outside when camping and only use the camper to sleep in.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #7

What do you do when it rains, or is really cold outside in the morning or evening, or mosquitos are swarming? If you don't camp in the cold or rain, then you really don't need a hard-sided trailer.

$20 says you will have a 21dbs for sale/trade within a year of dropping $30K +

Buy your 2nd trailer first.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
What do you do when it rains, or is really cold outside in the morning or evening, or mosquitos are swarming? If you don't camp in the cold or rain, then you really don't need a hard-sided trailer.

$20 says you will have a 21dbs for sale/trade within a year of dropping $30K +

Buy your 2nd trailer first.
I agree with the cold / Rain... My philosophy was the same, only use it for sleeping...I had a truck camper before my ORV, then all it took was one rainy day and us crammed in there looking at each other going "whata we do?" LOL
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We camped for many years in a very small 20' bunkhouse 4 of us an two dogs. That was our second TT and one we spent several years researching. The OP sounds like several of our friends at that time that had popups and while they liked the space, they did not like the set up/tear down and drying them out when wet - but they loved the space and towability. Perhaps something like a Trail Manor is a better option for the OP than a full sized TT or perhaps a toy hauler - but that would probably require a better tow vehicle - and with 7 people you will need a full sized 3/4 or 1T van as even a crew cab PU would hold 6.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have 6 of us in an 18CK. It's a discontinued floorplan, similar to the 21DBS, but with no slide and a jack knife sofa where the bed is in the 21DBS*. It can be a little tight at times, but, we go camping to get outside, not hang out in the trailer. The place where I think the 21DBS would be a little small for you is seating and/or eating. There's not enough places for everyone to sit in the 21DBS unless you're sitting on the bed.

As for the "it's too small, what abouts...": What about bugs? Well, that's what bug spray is for. Rain? That's what the rain gear, awning and canopy are for... Cold? That's what the winter jackets, hats, and gloves are for. Ok, if we were using it as a hunting camp for two weeks of deer season with a bunch of friends/relatives, I probably would've gone bigger. But we don't use it for that do most of our camping in national forests and parks and prioritized "short" because we wanted to maximize the sites into which we could fit. (Most of our camping is national forest service and national park campgrounds...)

I'll be the heretic here and ask if you've considered the Lance 2185? It has the advantage of having the big dinette and a murphy bed so there'd be places for everyone to sit. The downside is the water/waste tanks are a good bit smaller than the ORV.

And I know some folks here seem concerned about your tow vehicle, but they obviously have know idea what a "NV3500 SL" is. For those who need help, it's a 1 ton passenger van. We considered one and have friends who bought one for their TV. The only thing you really need to know about your proposed combination van/trailer combo is the 21DBS tongue weight will exceed the rating on the stock receiver. So you will need to upgrade the receiver.

*Very similar to the Springdale 189flbwe.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
but that would probably require a better tow vehicle - and with 7 people you will need a full sized 3/4 or 1T van...
The poster already has a full sized, 1T van.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #12

Up-and-Down for "5,600 miles in 2.5 weeks" might get tiresome...not sure the TrailManor will help with that.

I guess I'm just scratching my head at spending the dough on an ORV if you're planning on using it as a bedroom only and wearing rain/winter clothing. Why not just get a small cheap trailer for that?

I'm all for roughing it, but long trips like the OP is describing are not the same as going on a weekend trip, or even a week for that matter.

To each his own, just my 2 cents.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:36 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Shane - I missed the TV in the OPs post - agree it is a capable tow vehicle - not sure I believe the tow rating but the TT they are looking at should not be a problem - as long as they don't exceed the axle and spring ratings on the van.

I know that this forum is mainly for ORV - but IRV2 is to be helpful to all RVers. We know that the ORV/Arctic Fox/Nash family of trailers are well built and most of the time it means heavy for their size.

Something I honestly believe in is to do two things - 1. take an inventory of how you use your trailer now and what you plan to do in the future and 2. Spend a minimum of an hour just sitting in a perspective unit seeing how it will work - where are the clothes going, pots and pans, grills, food stuffs. How easy is it to get to the refer from the outside (how easy it is to get to a beverage). One thing we looked at with our bunkhouse was the ability to put all the kids to bed and us stay up an play games.

I have only owned 5 TTs since 1982 - one used one to get started and 4 new ones as our needs changed. The bunkhouse worked well with the young kids and weekend camping for 13 yrs and we traded it as our kids spent more time in tents than in the bunks. The next TT was one with a full time bed for us. The problem was a rear corner bed and tiny bath along with poor construction. We kept it for 6yrs until we could afford an Arctic Fox 22H now both kids were out of the house and the front sideways bed was better than the corner and the bath was huge. This was our rig for another 12 yrs and served us and our dogs on several week long vacations and many long weekends of camping. This was where I made the switch to a 3/4T truck from a Tahoe. As we aged, the side bed became an issue so we started looking for our next rig. This time we were looking for something that we could spend a month or more in as we are looking at camp hosting after I retire next year. The search started with a rig just larger than the 22H - it needed to have a walk around bed and at least two areas to sit. ORV had a floorplan that looked good on the web - the Creekside 23RB (no longer made) but when we did our sit in an see where things fit we came up short compared to the 22H. The bedroom also felt cramped. We kept looking and my DW fell in love with the 25RDS - it easily check all of our boxes and then some. I really wanted something smaller, but we started analyzing our expected needs and soon it was sitting in our driveway - along with a new truck - diesel this time. So far we have taken 1 3 week trip and 2 1week trips along with countless weekends.

Since the weather here in the PNW is so unpredictable we have always tried to have enough seating to get in out of the rain - so we can be ready for those sunbreaks when they come. IMHO if all you have the trailer for is sleeping you might as well camp in a tent - and yes I did my share of that as a scoutmaster during the time my son was in Boy Scouts.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:16 AM   #14

I need to do some more homework to determine what my tow capacity can be with a beefier receiver. I do know i have to stay under a combined 16,000 total pounds for both van and trailer. We do remove the rear seats which save us almost 200lbs: i have been looking at the 2185 with a murphy bed and yes i want to stay as short as possible to fit in national parks/ state parks etc...

Tags
storage