Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

21RBS Freeze up

Well last night we finally froze up somewhere. It is cold -5F last night in Nebraska, seem to be froze up in the suction (intake) line between the floor and the tank. Any ideas how to thaw? Prevent next time? We have had it colder last winter -12F one night, no issues. Not sure why we froze this time.......
ColoNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoNative View Post
froze up in the suction (intake) line between the floor and the tank.

Confused. Not clear. Please clarify.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you have a tank heater, if so make sure it is turned on. In my ORV there are some access panels under the sink in the kitchen that you take off to winterize the trailer. Each is held on by four screws. I take the panels off in cold weather to get warmer air where the plumbing is. I Also leave cabinet doors open to circulate warm air.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Do you have a tank heater, if so make sure it is turned on. In my ORV there are some access panels under the sink in the kitchen that you take off to winterize the trailer. Each is held on by four screws. I take the panels off in cold weather to get warmer air where the plumbing is. I Also leave cabinet doors open to circulate warm air.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have removed the panels, tank heaters appear to be on. I opened the tank drain, the water in the tank is not frozen, I have to assume there is a freeze in the line between the floor and the point where it enters the tank. I unhooked the line from the pump, I cannot blow air down it. I guess I will remove the line at the elbow where it goes through the floor when we get home and see what’s up when we get home.

Cheers
Tim
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Crank up the furnace! Might help. Cranking up the furnace will thaw out my dump valves if it's not too cold (around 20F or so).
Old 02-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Furnace on to thaw.

The best way to keep lines from freezing on the extreme cold nights (I have been through a few) is to leave the cabinet doors with access to plumbing open. In our 280RKs I leave; all the kitchen floor cabinets and drawers open, the bathroom sink cabinet, the drawer under our bathroom linen closet, and the modified storage drawer we made by the fridge. You can see the water lines in all these spots.

Cold air gets trapped in these places. With water lines running through them they can freeze up. Furnace must be cycling a few times through the night warming the underbelly but the lines can freeze up sitting in a cold dead air area.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #7

Ok, so to report back, we drove home from Nebraska in 15 degree weather and when we got home, no more freeze up! It appears what happened is a bit of ice or slush or whatever was stopping the pump from picking up water from the tank. A 120 miles of “stirring” seems to have cured it. I think in summary, if I had left the doors all open and maybe left the heat a bit higher, it wouldn’t have happened, caulk it up to lessons learned, still love out trailer! Try winter camping in a Jayco!!
Cheers
Tim
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoNative View Post
Ok, so to report back, we drove home from Nebraska in 15 degree weather and when we got home, no more freeze up! It appears what happened is a bit of ice or slush or whatever was stopping the pump from picking up water from the tank. A 120 miles of “stirring” seems to have cured it. I think in summary, if I had left the doors all open and maybe left the heat a bit higher, it wouldn’t have happened, caulk it up to lessons learned, still love out trailer! Try winter camping in a Jayco!!
Cheers
Tim

That’s pretty good to be able to go down to -5 f that’s -20 c for the neighbors up north... brrrr.