Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
24KTS awning sag

I just purchased a 2018 Black Rock 24 KTS. As it sits in my driveway I noticed the awning (20’) sags in the middle and the fabric is not tight when it is in the stored position. My former Black Rock’s awning was tight but it wasn’t a 20 footer. Can the dealer adjust the awning or is this normal for a 20’ awning?
danr43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I did this mod for the sag while rolled up: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/lets...ml#post3848038

I do not have any noticeable sag when unrolled, so it may just be your hardware specifically.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now days, sag seems to be normal, esp in the longer ones, and the newer powered awnings. Our 21' sagged new, told normal, added a center support (like R.B.) to help on the backroads we mostly travel.

Our last trailer had a manual awning, I think a 16 or 17 ft length, and it had a very small sag closed, hardly noticeable. I'm sure the tubes in the elec awnings are smaller diameter, and probably thinner tubing. Just push up when closed and see how much it will "sag" in the other direction!! I try to extend to a point where the curve is at the top as much as possible when open. Still has a bit of "pooch" in the vinyl. They probably aren't cut very square anyway!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1993.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	183863  
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My main concern with the sag in the middle of the awning in the stored position is the extra stress that is occurring where the awning fabric attaches to the wall. Especially if its bouncing around during travel. The center support mod seems like a good solution. I still plan to point it out to my dealer just to see what they say.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #5

I suspect they'll say it normal.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
I did this mod for the sag while rolled up: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/lets...ml#post3848038

I do not have any noticeable sag when unrolled, so it may just be your hardware specifically.
I did the same mod on my 24KTS.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I ordered the awning cradle today. Also sent an email message to ORV asking for a print of that wall in the hope that there is a metal stud near the middle of the awning. Did you mount the cradle by drilling all the way through the wall using the backing plate or just screws?
Old 11-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danr43 View Post
I ordered the awning cradle today. Also sent an email message to ORV asking for a print of that wall in the hope that there is a metal stud near the middle of the awning. Did you mount the cradle by drilling all the way through the wall using the backing plate or just screws?
There should be a backing board somewhere in that wall for the awning cradle. Everyone I've seen report back has said there was one. I drilled pilot holes, put silicone on the screws that came with the cradle, and screwed it straight in.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
There should be a backing board somewhere in that wall for the awning cradle. Everyone I've seen report back has said there was one. I drilled pilot holes, put silicone on the screws that came with the cradle, and screwed it straight in.
That’s what I wanted to hear! The service department at ORV has always been super responsive to my questions so I’ll wait to hear if they verify a backing board in that area.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just heard back from the ORV service department. There is a 6” x 6” piece of plywood blocking at the top of the wall near the awning mid-point.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I noticed the sag on my doorway awning as well, and ordered a Cradle as Dometic recommends. Once installed I was a lot more confident driving on rough roads.
I added the matching Elite Slide Toppers to my slides this past spring and in the fall, was setting up at a campsite and the main slide would not go out. It turns out the Slide Topper had bowed in the middle riding down the road, that it jammed the roll against the slide and would not let the slide come out. I took it back to the installer and they claimed warranty on it.
I have found a cradle that Dometic also recommends for their longer slide toppers and am going to install it to prevent this from happening again.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I had the awning material replaced I asked the installers about a center support for my power 21 ft awning. They said no center support was needed for the Dometic 9100 21 ft awning. I have had my TT 4+ years and been on some rough roads with no issue with the awning sagging even though I can see that it does sag a little.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am going to order the support kit because the sag holds a little water when it rains. At least I will not have to worry about it sagging further from water weight.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danr43 View Post
I just heard back from the ORV service department. There is a 6” x 6” piece of plywood blocking at the top of the wall near the awning mid-point.
Update: The cradle arrived today and I discovered that there was no plywood backing at the location identified by ORV service dapartment. Luckily, I was able to secure the aluminum mounting plate that comes with the cradle on the interior wall inside a cabinet and run two stainless stell bolts all the way through the wall. Probably makes for a more secure attachment than lag screws even if there was plywood backing. Either ORV skipped the plywood backing on my unit or they gave me bad information.

Tags
awning