Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRClassic View Post
I just picked up my 29 TRX and the dealer recommended the Blue Ox unit that handles a hitch weight of 2,000lbs and a tow tow weight of 20,000lbs. I will be putting it on this weekend. I bought mine from Gibbs RV in Oregon and this is the hitch they like if that means anything. I drive a 2017 HD2500 GMC
Curious to know if you have any issues towing the 29TRX with or without WD.

The Blue Ox is on the top of my list for WD.
NCW29TRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #16

I purchased my 29trx two weeks ago with blue ox hitch. Have towed it twice with my 2018 F250 diesel and no problems. Several 30 mph gusts moved it but not much. Corners like a dream.
RegMccutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #17

27 TRX WD Options

I just purchased the 27 TRX. I have a 2019 GMC 3500 DRW Long bed Crew Cab with the Duramax Diesel with the towing package. I towed it home from the dealership in American Fork, Utah with a non-WD hitch. No sway was noticed with trailer truck buffeting, cross winds or road construction, but the rear of the truck did drop about 2 inches with the empty trailer attached (this is a guess since I did not measure it). I'll be getting a WD hitch for this trailer.

The truck has a 3-inch receiver, but I can't find any company that makes a 3-inch hitch shank for their WD hitches (i.e. Hensley, Reese, Curt, Equalizer, Blue Ox). Since I will need to use an adapter for the shank to fit into the receiver, I have ruled out the Hensley due to it's complicated hook up process and lining up the shank and the adapter.

Curt's new TruTrack looks promising, but with a GVWR of 14,000 pounds maximum, and the trailer having a GVWR of 13,995 pounds, I think this is a bit too close for my comfort. I'm leaning towards the Blue Ox in 20,000 pound rating but I am curious if anyone has experience with the rotating latch mechanisms failing from either damage or road gunk getting into the swivel mechanism.

Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions.
firelttim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #18

I have the Blue Ox 2000 lb tongue weight hitch (with the 2.5" shank). Rotating mechanism is easier with more leverage don't use their bar, go buy a longer 24" breaker bar and use the right size socket. Also helps if you use the tongue jack to help getting the chains in the right spot.

No issues with them getting fouled up or damaged from road junk etc. Fairly sturdy. I have the bolt on set up, but I might weld it on at some point to my 27TRX.
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:32 PM   #19

Whew...going on four years since last post?? This is a smoking hot forum! Should I be having second thoughts on upcoming purchase of a 29 TRX?

Blue
Blueforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:50 AM   #20

I tow my 27TRX in the Rocky Mountains with no WDH. But I also have bags and added weight on the front end of my TT from a Ranch Hand Legend steel bumper/grille guard, a winch and mounting equipment, and an extra 80# AGM 100AH battery for the winch.

The dry weight of the hitch on my 27TRX was closer to 1,700# and the manufacturer states it's 1,310# for my year. As I added weight to the back of the trailer from my ATV and other gear I got it down to 1,540# (fully loaded).

Edit: I just noticed how old this thread is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230926_123021_Weigh My Truck.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	413308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230926_123050_Weigh My Truck.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	413309  

Old 03-04-2024, 10:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1fter View Post

Edit: I just noticed how old this thread is.
Good observation. But a little over 24 hours old! I didn't post at 05:32. At least do not remember doing so. Must have been the good wine if I did!

Great information. Thanks! I'm already planning to upgrade batteries to Lithium. And adding a couple additional batteries. Thinking about building an enclosed insulated battery box. And adding a 12V heat pad.

Was thinking today that I'm going to take my Gator, fully fueled, and get it weighed at the scales here nearby. And get my truck, 19' F250 6.7L, CC, 4WD, weighed. And once I get my 29TRX get a dry weight and a wet weight.

I definitely think having my Gator loaded in the back of the 29TRX will make a difference in the tongue weight.

I've pulled our current 42' 2015 Heritage Glen around the southeast with out a WD hitch. (DUH!! It is a 5th Wheel RV Dummy) But I plan to travel out mid-west and west mountain states with the 29TRX so looking at getting a WD Hitch. Leaning towards the Blue-Ox BXW 2001. Also looking at the Equil-i-zer WD Hitch.

Blue
Old 03-04-2024, 11:15 PM   #22

A little over a day out from heading out west to southern Utah to pick up the 29TRX. Many moons ago when I was young and full of spunk. And in the USAF. I traveled across this great country from Bama to California and back six times. I covered the main routes of I-10, I-20, and I-40 depending on the time of the year. Buddies and I had a lot of fun doing so. But now realize I didn't appreciate the opportunities offered by the trips as much as I should have back then. Now, after having retired from my second career, as a Registered Forester and Wildlife Manager, I have a better appreciation for getting a second opportunity to travel again across this great nation.

This trip is to go out to Utah to pickup the 29TRX. Then travel up to Auburn Ca. To spend Spring break with some friends there. Wife and Daughter are flying out to meet me there. Visiting friends from back when I was stationed out there in Central Ca. years ago. Then break in the 29TRX on the way back to Bama after a couple weeks stay out there.

So excited its like Christmas. I can't sleep!!

Blue
Old 03-06-2024, 04:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueforester View Post
A little over a day out from heading out west to southern Utah to pick up the 29TRX. Many moons ago when I was young and full of spunk. And in the USAF. I traveled across this great country from Bama to California and back six times. I covered the main routes of I-10, I-20, and I-40 depending on the time of the year. Buddies and I had a lot of fun doing so. But now realize I didn't appreciate the opportunities offered by the trips as much as I should have back then. Now, after having retired from my second career, as a Registered Forester and Wildlife Manager, I have a better appreciation for getting a second opportunity to travel again across this great nation.

This trip is to go out to Utah to pickup the 29TRX. Then travel up to Auburn Ca. To spend Spring break with some friends there. Wife and Daughter are flying out to meet me there. Visiting friends from back when I was stationed out there in Central Ca. years ago. Then break in the 29TRX on the way back to Bama after a couple weeks stay out there.

So excited its like Christmas. I can't sleep!!

Blue
That sounds Awesome!

I wanted a 29TRX, but I got such a great deal on my 24TRX that I couldn't pass it up. (I just realized that I said I had a 27TRX in my last post, which is incorrect). Anyway, someone had ordered my 24TRX and backed out. It was sitting in Idaho Falls for a little while so they dropped the price down to $56k. I couldn't find any dealer willing to order a ORV for less than $75k for the 24TRX and even more for the 27 and 29 versions. Plus, I would have had to wait for it to be built and the waiting time appears to be quite long. So, I grabbed this 24TRX.

I really like it and I'm staying in it full time right now, since September 2023. I've been in the Cascade Mountains of Washington all winter. I was a contractor and was travelling the country for work. I bought this to stay in rather than staying in motels. But, I took a job with SpaceX in Seattle and that's why I'm staying in it right now. I'll likely get a permanent residence here next spring (2025) as this is a permanent gig. But in the meantime I'll be staying in my 24TRX. Right now my primary residence is in Idaho, but it was in south Florida for almost 15 years.

I left the 2 recliners at home as the 24TRX really isn't big enough for them in my opinion. The 27 or the 29 would add 3-6 more feet of floor space and I'm sure they wouldn't be overcrowding those units. I'm also single, if you couldn't already tell, and this unit would be a bit crowded with 3 or more people as well. I keep the bed up, the couch down and the tables assembled. I have my PC set up on it.

I flew home and brought my Tesla back so that I can use that to commute instead of driving my 3500. I also get free charging at work, so it saves on the fuel cost. It was costing me about $140 weekly using Costco gas to commute with my truck. I drive the truck once per week though, so it stays in good shape.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:21 AM   #24

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1fter View Post
The 27 or the 29 would add 3-6 more feet of floor space and I'm sure they wouldn't be overcrowding those units.
Our camper before last was a travel trailer with no slides. Mostly my little girl and I. And my wife sometimes. She doesn't get into the camping thing. Show likes room service:(

We upgraded to a 42' Heritage Glen with four slides. It is nice and roomy for sure.

But now my little girl is fixing to graduate high school and head off to college. So my favorite hunting and fishing buddy is probably not going to be hanging around with her old man next four years or so. I already miss her. And as far has camping now my wife is saying see ya! Have fun.

So I'm down sizing to the 29TRX. Retired. Daughter off to college. Wife, well, she is a work acholic so I do not have to worry about her. Go make that money!!

So, I'm planning to go on hunting and fishing trips up north, mid-west and west. Primarily on public lands. Thus why I got the 29TRX.

I could get by with the 27 TRX as my JD Gator would just fit. And I wanted some as small as I could get by with. But my wife and daughter squealed about the nightmares we had with travel trailer before with no slide outs. Saying... you do not remember how much you complained about not having any slide outs?? I thought it, but did not say it... yes dear, but I will be flying solo because you will not be around. So I will have it all to myself

So I choose the 29 to get the extra 30"s in the coach garage/living area. Showed my wife a video of that and still said she thought it was to tight. And I thought well maybe...but no freaking slide-outs to have to maintain, service, and repair something on constantly it seemed like with the four on our current 5th wheel RV.

Heading out west tomorrow! Had planned to pick up the 29TRX in Utah on the way to Auburn CA. But had some delays in getting things in order. Being I'm retired, my wife having to co-sign. Well, she blew the curve on the credit app! And the dealer and their bank thought one, we are out of state buyers, financing out of state, I was wanting to to sign paperwork in Utah. Wife and daughter are flying into Sacramento Ca. Thus she needed to sign there.

They claimed they had never seen credit scores that high before for both of us. And my wife, in banking for over 27 years now, blew their mind in income and bonuses etc. So because there were so many red flags they insinuated that we filed a fraudulent credit app! And were basically trying to rip off an RV! And thus had to keep going back to justify what we submitted. Gezzz.

Then came back and said, well... you both are over qualified! What?? Because some people actually do things the right way we basically got penalized!

So yes. Both my wife and I have been a little upset the last couple days. And plans have delayed to the point now I'm going to have to drive straight through to central Ca. So that I do not mess up our plans for my daughter's last spring break. Then, swing back by through Utah on the way back and pick it up the 29TRX.

And did not find out until today they did not have the model BlueOx WD Hitch I wanted in stock. They have the BXW 2000. But I like the way the BXW 2001 WD Hitch attaches to the trailer frame better. And they cannot get one by Saturday.

I talked with a Outdoors RV engineer today. And he confirmed that the 29 TRX is engineered to tow with something in the back for weight to level the trailer and reduce the tongue weight. He said it would tow heavy with out weight in the back.

I have a F250 6.7L 4wd w/6" lift. And have the heaviest rated springs offered in 2019. But not sure I want to tow new Toy Hauler to Central Ca from Utah and back w/out a WD hitch. Not sure if anyone has towed their 29TRX unloaded. If so how well did it pull/behave?

I'm up late because I can't sleep! I need to go crash. I got a long road ahead of me!!

Blue
Old 03-08-2024, 04:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueforester View Post
I have a F250 6.7L 4wd w/6" lift. And have the heaviest rated springs offered in 2019. But not sure I want to tow new Toy Hauler to Central Ca from Utah and back w/out a WD hitch. Not sure if anyone has towed their 29TRX unloaded. If so how well did it pull/behave?
I towed my 24TRX (1,700# hitch weight) from the dealer in Idaho Falls to Boise (about 300 miles) using the truck in my sig and no WDH. There was also snow on the ground, it was windy, and this is mountainous territory. My truck was still stock at that time too last year, so no extra front end weight to hold me down. I felt a little light in the front end when going up hill. Other than that, nothing really noticeable for me. The 29TRX is probably still under 2,000#, if I had to guess.

It really depends on your skill level I suppose. It sounds like you have plenty of towing experience. It's not going to be as comfortable as it will be when the hitch weight is lower and if you're using a WDH. Big bumps that normally make your truck buck will make you buck even more with the trailer. But I don't think it will be dangerous. Just keep your towing speeds under 65 mph if you're not feeling comfortable (maybe even slower if you feel the need). I don't go over 70 mph anyway since the tires are rated for 75 mph. The G614s are great tires, just not made for high speeds.

The 6" lift on your truck may cause it to ride worse, I can't really say. But these trailers are also very high off of the ground so they can be taken well off of the road. Even with my truck, which has a good amount of ground clearance, I have to use an adjustable hitch and I need a rise, not a drop, of a few inches. With your truck it may be level with your hitch? I can't say.