Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
29TRX

I am strongly considering the purchase of a 29TRX.

I will be using a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500hd with the 6.6L Duramax, and heavy duty tow package - (will accept 2-1/2" shank).

What brand of WDH would you recommend?

Will I have any issues pulling this big of a trailer with my truck?

Thank you for your input.
NCW29TRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use a 1400# Equal-i-zer with a 2.5" shank. It works well. The 2.5" shank was purchased later and is made by Curt.

It is heavy.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That will be a great TT. But loaded 13K and 35 feet, WOW. All off the rear. I would get the best WD hitch with sway control I could find. Definitely 1400 pound bars or better. Perhaps call a few places like E trailer and some hitch place mfg like Blu-ox. Set it up right the first time and enjoy with no worries. Welcome to the ORV group.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

35 feet and no counter space...you sure the missus will approve?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCW29TRX View Post
I am strongly considering the purchase of a 29TRX.

I will be using a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500hd with the 6.6L Duramax, and heavy duty tow package - (will accept 2-1/2" shank).

What brand of WDH would you recommend?

Will I have any issues pulling this big of a trailer with my truck?

Thank you for your input.
Did you end up buying the trailer? I’m wondering some of the same questions as you and wanted to see if you’ve towed it yet.
Tbrownski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Would suggest ProPride 3P, if the tongue weight will be below 1400lbs. Next would be Blue OX, have used both. My 1500lb Blue Ox is for sale, have both 2.0 and 2.5 inch shanks.
KirkAlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

I have been researching the same trailer. You are going to want a much higher rated wdh than 1400 pounds. The dry hitch weight of this trailer is 1600 pounds. The hitch weight is going to grow from there once you add batteries, fill with propane and add your camping gear into the trailer. You might be able to counter-act this a bit once you have a toy loaded in the back. However the axles are shifted farther aft than a standard travel trailer making it more difficult to shift very much weight off the trailer's tongue. Also double check the rating of your truck hitch. You will most likely be pushing up to or beyond its limit ratings.
kswrmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #8

I ran into the same issues on tongue weight on my 27TRX and went with Blue Ox 2000 lb version (though they sent me the 2" shank and not the 2.5" shank that they should have). Only towed it once so far (just picked it up last week) and had no issues with sway or bounce in ~200 miles down I5 from Redding to Sacramento with my F350 6.7 SRW crewcab shortbed. If you are looking at the 29TRX, make sure your hitch/truck can handle more than 1500 lbs of tongue weight. I will have to play around with loading (and will be buying a tongue weight scale) to be safe. If you go 29TRX, I imagine you will need a long bed (to get more tongue weight, at least in a Ford) and/or a dual rear wheel set up...

As you said you are towing with a 2500, I would imagine you will also exceed your truck's cargo capacity by putting that much tongue weight on your truck (unless you plan on driving with 2 people & minimal gear or have a gas engine). I can't see anyone towing a 27 or 29TRX with anything less than a one ton truck to stay within cargo limits (if they have the diesel engine which weighs a lot more), but I am unfamiliar with what Chevy & Dodge offer in their 3/4 ton trucks...
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrownski View Post
Did you end up buying the trailer? I’m wondering some of the same questions as you and wanted to see if you’ve towed it yet.
Not yet. I am still awhile out from actual purchase.
I like to do ALOT of research before pulling the trigger on such a large purchase.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
UPDATE:

I have decided to do some upgrades to the truck before purchasing the 29TRX.

I have recently upgraded the receiver on the truck from stock (7,500#/1,000# without WD or 13,000# and 1,500# with WD) to a Curt Mfg. Commercial Duty receiver that is rated at 18,000# Gross Trailer Weight, with a 2,800# Tongue weight. with or without WD.

I will be purchasing a Bulletproof hitch with a max capacity of 22,000# and 3,000# tongue weight.

In addition, I will be adding 7500# air suspension bags.

A little more about my truck:
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed with the 6.6L Duramax engine.

From the owner's manual:
12,500# Max trailer weight (13,000# with WD) - I do not intend to max out the toy hauler weight.
GCWR: 22,000

I am watching the weights very closely.

Thank you for all of the replies.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

What's the payload on the yellow door sticker on your truck? I bet you are close to overloaded empty.

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK
BayouBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #12

BayouBoy is correct, you will want to look at your payload sticker as well and then subtract people/cargo, any additions to the truck, and your projected tongue weight. Though you will be into a grey area with adding air bags, and you most likely will be just fine function wise but technically a particular cop (or lawyer in the event of an accident) could still nail you for being over what your truck is stickered for, though the chances of that are highly remote...

I will have to give that hitch a look if I am way over on tongue weight once loaded up. I have the cargo capacity (at 3K+ per my sticker which is why I went F-350 instead of 250 as I would have had ~2K with the diesel/F-250/crewcab/4x4).

I am like you, did tons of research (on both my truck and potential trailers), looked at all the other toy hauler brands and came back to Desert Fox or ORV and my wife liked ORV better. Good luck with your decision. A 29 does give you ultimate flexibility (in that you can fit 4 seat RZR I believe), but there are other 4 seaters we can fit in our 27...
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #13

29 TRX

I just picked up my 29 TRX and the dealer recommended the Blue Ox unit that handles a hitch weight of 2,000lbs and a tow tow weight of 20,000lbs. I will be putting it on this weekend. I bought mine from Gibbs RV in Oregon and this is the hitch they like if that means anything. I drive a 2017 HD2500 GMC
RRClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRClassic View Post
I just picked up my 29 TRX and the dealer recommended the Blue Ox unit that handles a hitch weight of 2,000lbs and a tow tow weight of 20,000lbs. I will be putting it on this weekend. I bought mine from Gibbs RV in Oregon and this is the hitch they like if that means anything. I drive a 2017 HD2500 GMC
I have a Blue Ox with my TR 25RDS. Apache also installs the BO. My theory on that is the hitch has virtually no adjustments other than what chain or height to set it at. Those are pretty easy and quick to decipher.
IMO they (Gibs/Apache) choose the BO for it's simplicity and ease of install. If they were choosing a Reese DC or even an EQ with 4 PT sway then they'd be spending much more time trying to set the head tilt. The BO head angle is a pre-set fixed angle.
I'm not bashing the BO as I've towed with it and it works as designed. But IMO I think dealers may choose it because it's easier and quicker to install and not because it performs better.

Time is money.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote