Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I too carry a torque wrench and the appropriately sized sockets for all the lug nuts, truck and trailer.

As there have been reports of over-torqued lugs on ORV trailers, and I found two broken (over-torqued?) lugs, maybe ORV should use torque wrenches as well?

The truck came with its own jack, but for the trailer I use a ramp (think ALKO says not to touch the axle or suspension with a jack). Roll one wheel up on the ramp and the other wheel on that side is off the ground.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
I am curious...and please don't take this the wrong way....but in my truck that I tow with I always carry a bottle jack and block because I need it to change the tires on my truck. I also have a 4-way lug wrench that I use to take the wheel off my truck. I know that these will both work on any RV that we build. I personally would not want to load my trailer with another jack and wrench when I already have both in my truck. And I do tow various types of trailers regularly including RV's, cargo trailers and flatbeds. Does anybody else see it this way or am I missing something???
I was bothered when I discovered that I couldn't put one of my alloys wheels on the spare carrier. I was not bothered by the different sized nut, in fact I have totally forgotten about it! But amongst my truck's tool bin, I do carry a very useful 12"Crescent wrench, and if that gets misplaced, I carry an even handier pair of 12"Channel Locks. I also think, but don't remember, that my 4 way lug wrench has sockets for the alloys and the spare.

So for my vote, just fix it so an owner can remove a wheel and mount it on the spare tire bracket.

Bob

P.S. Speaking of spare tires and the like, look for a separate thread on using single wheel ramps for changing tires.
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

Greetings one and all, Thanks to all for the good information. Glad that are input is being herd. I know its not a cost issue RE: Jack for the trailer. I learn overtime I am on this forum. I now will carry a block of wood or other lifting device for the trailer tires along with right size sockets for the lugs.

Thanks
wwr
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #18
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jacking locations?

I can't find in the manual where the jack should be located /placed, either under the frame or under the axel, to raise the trailer to change a tire?

It would be nice to have a simple location diagram in the manual ( depending on make and size) where to place the jack....as well as the the type/ size of jack that is recommended if one is not provided.

I know in my truck manual they have a diagram where jack placements should be. Some vehicles have small indents on the frame where to put the jacks.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #19

Put your jack under the axle. Way too far to lift it with the trailer frame. Your truck scissor jack will work just fine. I learned that the hard way when I found out the hydraulic jack I carried for years without using had lost most of it's oil. I also found out about the two size nuts as well as the need for a deepwell 3/4 socket to change the tire. Guess I should be happy that's the only flat in 40 years on my RV. Now I carry a full set of deep sockets, a straight bar and a pipe to slide over it. Still think OutdoorsRV are by far the most bang for the buck in the RV world.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #20
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the reply...it would be nice if that was explained in the owners manual someplace...ie jacking points on your trailer.
Not my intent to bash the ORV product ...just constructive comments to make a better product the best.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
I can't find in the manual where the jack should be located /placed, either under the frame or under the axel, to raise the trailer to change a tire?

It would be nice to have a simple location diagram in the manual ( depending on make and size) where to place the jack....as well as the the type/ size of jack that is recommended if one is not provided.

I know in my truck manual they have a diagram where jack placements should be. Some vehicles have small indents on the frame where to put the jacks.

Coops
Jack the axle only where it is attached to the spring. Otherwise one can bend the tubular axle.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From the Al-KO owner's manual:

Quote:
Lift the trailer until wheel rotates freely and secure trailer with
appropriate jacks and auxiliary blocking.
Never use the axle or any
portion of the suspension to lift or support the trailer
This will
damage the axle and lead to premature failure.
Which is why I use a ramp instead.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #23

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Thanks for the reply...it would be nice if that was explained in the owners manual someplace...ie jacking points on your trailer.
Not my intent to bash the ORV product ...just constructive comments to make a better product the best.

Coops
I will make a note to get that added to the owners manual.
Thanks Lloyd.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #24

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
From the Al-KO owner's manual:

Which is why I use a ramp instead.
That seems kinda lame since the whole trailer is supported by the axle. I will check the Dexter manual to see what it says.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
That seems kinda lame since the whole trailer is supported by the axle. I will check the Dexter manual to see what it says.
Pretty sure they are concerned about a mis-placed jack bending the axle or bits of the suspension. That's less likely to happen when the tire is supporting the weight. Presumably the suspension/axle is designed for the weight to be applied through the tire.

Al-Ko could be over-cautious here just to cover their azz. But axle tubes are easily bent, even routinely bent to adjust camber.

My last trailer had odd tire wear that was corrected by replacing the whole axle under warranty. Apparently the camber was off. But the first thing they asked me was whether I had ever jacked the trailer up by that axle. Not sure if they believed me when I said no, but they replaced it anyway.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I am curious...and please don't take this the wrong way....but in my truck that I tow with I always carry a bottle jack and block because I need it to change the tires on my truck. I also have a 4-way lug wrench that I use to take the wheel off my truck. I know that these will both work on any RV that we build. I personally would not want to load my trailer with another jack and wrench when I already have both in my truck. And I do tow various types of trailers regularly including RV's, cargo trailers and flatbeds. Does anybody else see it this way or am I missing something???
My truck (2012 F350) came with a single lug wrench, a 4 way wrench is harder to store as well. I also vote for commonality. A spare tire should be mounted with the same size lug nut as the rest. It is just common sense. I'll be correcting that one as well.

Also, I wouldn't recommend anyone mount their wheel other than the spare on the spare mount. That steel bar will mess up the finish on your rims in a hurry.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Finish wear could be easily prevented with a piece of cardboard or something like that.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Problem Solved

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140407_164328_resized.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	103664