Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For some, that's not solving a problem, it's creating a new one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #30
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
Problem Solved

Attachment 103664
Questions: How do you access it? How do you lower it? How do you drag it from under the trailer? Where do you put the flat tire once the tire is changed out? Etc.

Really like the idea, however, I'm not a flexible as I used to be as I am getting older.
I think I will stay with calling roadside assistance...if I have good cell service.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Questions: How do you access it? How do you lower it? How do you drag it from under the trailer? Where do you put the flat tire once the tire is changed out? Etc.

Really like the idea, however, I'm not a flexible as I used to be as I am getting older.
I think I will stay with calling roadside assistance...if I have good cell service.

Coops
It's is just like my truck. I put a crank through the step and lower the tire down. I put a short piece of rope through the holes of the wheel so that I can drag it out of there. I did the same on my truck. I would put the flat tire in the back of the truck until fixed. I could put back under the trailer I guess.
LBZYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #32

I dunno, maybe I see solutions to things too simply. I would remove the spare 13/16" nut (use a bottle jack etc to hold the spare up in place while you do this) and carefully remove 1/32" from each flat with a file or grinder until a 3/4" wrench fits it. I'm guessing the stud that holds the spare is a different diameter or maybe a coarse thread, thus the slightly bigger nut. Maybe that's too simple for y'all......
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #33

They make a two ended 3/4 * 13/16 socket. You do need a short extension and a breaker bar or ratchet to use it, but you don't have to guess which one to grab.

Tire shops use them with long nose impact guns.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #34
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
It's is just like my truck. I put a crank through the step and lower the tire down. I put a short piece of rope through the holes of the wheel so that I can drag it out of there. I did the same on my truck. I would put the flat tire in the back of the truck until fixed. I could put back under the trailer I guess.
Why not carry the trailer spare tire in your truck ( tow vehicle) when towing??....the trailer goes where the truck tows it...then there is no need for ropes, cranks etc. just a thought.

When towing our trailer to the warmer climate in the winter from BC on slushy, snowy, winter Highways...dragging a tire from under my trailer through that crap is not my idea of fun.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I dunno, maybe I see solutions to things too simply. (snip) Maybe that's too simple for y'all......
You've missed the entire point, and attempted to insult as well? Seems like it.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Why not carry the trailer spare tire in your truck ( tow vehicle) when towing??....the trailer goes where the truck tows it...then there is no need for ropes, cranks etc. just a thought.

When towing our trailer to the warmer climate in the winter from BC on slushy, snowy, winter Highways...dragging a tire from under my trailer through that crap is not my idea of fun.

Coops
In my case, the truck is overloaded already. And I agree, really don't want to crawl under the trailer to get the spare. Had to do that with the old trailer.

So hanging it off the rear bumper works well for us, now that I replaced the lag bolt (as one of the alloy wheels is now the spare).
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #37

So sorry big mes for trying to suggest an inelegant solution to an incredibly simple problem. I guess that's my engineering career kicking in, hard to escape it even when you've been retired from it for over 20 years. If I offended, I am DEEPLY sorry! I mean it.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #38

Hi everyone. First reply to the new Outdoors RV site. Speaking of spare tire mounts, my son and I went to remove the spare from the mount as we wanted to move it in order to install a small generator on the back of the trailer. Thank goodness we were at home. Both the nut and bolt that held the flat plate on were stripped. Looked like someone used an impact on it and just held it until it couldn't go any more. We used a half inch impact with the appropriate socket and with 150 psi we were able to get the nut half off and that was it. That allowed us to wiggle the spare tire off so we could take a cutting disk to the factory installed nut and bolt and replace it. What if this had happened on a hot sunny day in the middle of nowhere? I know without the impact we wouldn't be able to get as far as we did. Might not hurt for everyone to check the bolts on their spare tire to ensure you can get it off! Just one of many screw-ups on our 250RLS but we love it.
millers-cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #39

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers-cave View Post
Hi everyone. First reply to the new Outdoors RV site. Speaking of spare tire mounts, my son and I went to remove the spare from the mount as we wanted to move it in order to install a small generator on the back of the trailer. Thank goodness we were at home. Both the nut and bolt that held the flat plate on were stripped. Looked like someone used an impact on it and just held it until it couldn't go any more. We used a half inch impact with the appropriate socket and with 150 psi we were able to get the nut half off and that was it. That allowed us to wiggle the spare tire off so we could take a cutting disk to the factory installed nut and bolt and replace it. What if this had happened on a hot sunny day in the middle of nowhere? I know without the impact we wouldn't be able to get as far as we did. Might not hurt for everyone to check the bolts on their spare tire to ensure you can get it off! Just one of many screw-ups on our 250RLS but we love it.
I have forwarded this to production management.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
So sorry big mes for trying to suggest an inelegant solution to an incredibly simple problem. I guess that's my engineering career kicking in, hard to escape it even when you've been retired from it for over 20 years. If I offended, I am DEEPLY sorry! I mean it.....
It's not offending, no worries! I just had a thought of some very elderly guy trying to slide under the trailer to drop a spare tire on his head, and then get the flat one back up there, but I didn't know at the time you had a system to lift it like the underslung spare tires on cars and pickups.

Do you have a cable or some other system for dragging the spare out, and placing the flat, back on the cable to crank it up?

Or do you have a road service plan and you aren't afraid to use it?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #41

3/4 *and* 13/16?

So if you have torsion bar suspension like on my fleetwood TT. Where do you place the Jack ?
Sorry if I hijacked?
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #42

I tried the 4 way lug wrench on my Timber ridge alloy wheels and it won't work. I also have to use a deep socket.

Larv